Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

help with back pain

Soup

I'd like someone to give me some advice about how to deal with back pain. I kinda did something dumb last night and I woke up with a HUGE pain in my back. In the middle part of my back. I think I pulled it or something. This has never happened to me before but it really HURTS. Its like someone is stabbing me in the spine. Very sharp pain, can't really move without experiencing huge pain.

do you think I should just wait it out, If I sit down or just lie down I don't feel anything.

I'd like someone to give me some advice about how to deal with back pain. I kinda did something dumb last night and I woke up with a HUGE pain in my back. In the middle part of my back. I think I pulled it or something. This has never happened to me before but it really HURTS. Its like someone is stabbing me in the spine. Very sharp pain, can't really move without experiencing huge pain.

do you think I should just wait it out, If I sit down or just lie down I don't feel anything.

Take Aleve. Don't waste time with Tylenol, naproxen will work. I have had this multiple times. It'll go away usually.

Rest, ibuprofen, and chiropractor if needed. But if you start to get any numbness or weakness in your arms or legs, go straight to the ER. Trust me on that!

Use an ice pack 20 minutes and 20 minutes off and rest. Take it easy for a week or two. If it's muscular the chiropractor can do much for that.

A chiropractor or Icy Hot should do the trick, but if not... you will need time to recover.

Icy hot is a waste of money. All it does is cause an allergic reaction on your skin to feel hot and then cold. Unless you get it massaged in deep into the muscles it won't do anything to alleviate the pain.

Icy hot is a waste of money. All it does is cause an allergic reaction on your skin to feel hot and then cold. Unless you get it massaged in deep into the muscles it won't do anything to alleviate the pain.

I think it defers for people that may have sensitive skin hockey. IcyHot is not as bad as reported.

Massage treatments do help as I've taken classes for Massage Therapy.

How long Does this usually Last? I'm not feeling any numbness, I bought some aleve as well but I'm worried that some of you are saying this may be a continual event?

appreciate the advice

What you're describing sounds like what I've had a couple times. Maybe slept on it wrong or something. One of those days where you're back just doesn't want to move or it'll give you those stabbing pains and it feels a bit fatigued. I just spend the day lounging around and its better the next day. Not 100 percent the next day, but much better mobility without the knives to the back.

A chiropractor or Icy Hot should do the trick, but if not... you will need time to recover.

before this, try to get it diagnosed. if you have a friend who is a PT, check them out.

my lower back was messed up for a while. but before going to a chiropractor, i went to see a friend in raleigh who was a PT in jacksonville, fl. she diagnosed it as a muscle knot that was pulling the lowest lumbar out of alignment. if i had gone to the chiropractor, it would have fixed it for a day or two, but then the knot would have pulled the lumbar back out of alignment, so it would have been a waste. she said to see a massage therapist to work on the knot and once it was gone, the spine should align itself, or i could go to the chiropractor. conveniently, there was a massage therapist at the same seminar, so i talked to him and he gave the same advice. he actually even tried to pop my back (he also does chiropractic work), but it didnt fix anything.

anyways, i came back home. went to see a massage therapist a week later. it was cranial something or other treatment. and it drastically reduced the pain after the session and within a week it was all gone.

and mine was lower back, but sharp pain and all that. most of the time if i bent over, i couldnt stand back up without grabbing on to something. almost felt like my hip was popped out.

I was doing shoulder shrugs at the gym with a hernia belt on and I heard three pops in lower back. I threw the weights down immediately and I knew something was wrong.

So I finally go to the chiro the next day and he aligned my back, threw electronic current probes and ice on my lower back and it felt better. The next day I was sore again, but the pain gradually went away.

I'm not into popping pills, even if they are the good kind. I would see a chiro, get a massage, and put some ice on it. And drink a beer until the pain goes away.

If your not feeling pain in your legs or arms you might just have a pulled muscle. I've been through the herniated disc surgery and it was real bad before the surgery. Chiropractor should help.

Same here. I've had lower back surgery twice and the pain associated with pressure on the nerves is unreal. Soup, you won't have to wonder if it's a disk issue. If that's what it is, nothing will relieve the pain (ice, heat, light stretching, etc.). If its muscular, it'll take awhile to heal, though. Find a friend with a hot tub! :D

This happened to me a few years back. Go see a doctor before you see a chiropractor.

Not all back pain is the same. Mine was muscular, the muscles in my lower back were stuck in a contracted state (spasms) so he used electrodes to relax the muscles. I was fine in 20 minutes.

A different doctor also told me to take a hot shower, again to relax the muscles and it worked.

Is it near your spine because it could likely be a muscle stuck in a contracted position.

Archived