Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

O'Reilly on MJ

MissU28

We're talking about a minstrel. And undeniably talented minstrel, but nothing more than that.

This isnt the President. Or the Pope.

Maybe idiot is the wrong term, but the point is that too many people have become so obsessed with celebrity that deaths like this DO cause people to break down. That's a sad commentary on what people feel is important to them.

He was a little more than a minstrel Kilmer.

He was a little more than a minstrel Kilmer.

No he wasnt. Nothing more than Carrot Top. Just WAYYYY more talented.

Appreciate his art, acknowledge his brilliance, but stop making him out to be more than he was.

FWIW, I think the crap about his personal life has no place in the discussions.

No he wasnt. Nothing more than Carrot Top. Just WAYYYY more talented.

Appreciate his art, acknowledge his brilliance, but stop making him out to be more than he was.

FWIW, I think the crap about his personal life has no place in the discussions.

We just are going to have to agree to disagree on what he was.

We just are going to have to agree to disagree on what he was.

That's fine, just understand that Im not applying this standard to MJ alone. I think our society has a huge problem with celebrity worship. It's perpetuated by the mass amount of media coverage and the fact that all media has become nothing but ratings whore national inquirer wannabes.

TMZ broke the story of his death. That speaks volumes.

That's fine, just understand that Im not applying this standard to MJ alone. I think our society has a huge problem with celebrity worship. It's perpetuated by the mass amount of media coverage and the fact that all media has become nothing but ratings whore national inquirer wannabes.

Do not disagree with you there...it is all about what sells.

I can agree with almost all of that.

I think it is pitiful that people "love" these celbs so much that it changes their lives.

The media is horrific in the way they handle all of this stuff, even Steve McNair. I tell ya...I remember when Princess Di died and Mother Teresa within days. It was shameful the way that Mother Teresa was ignored.

I think crying over the death of any celebrity shows that a person has become too obsessed with things outside their own existence. And THAT makes them an idiot.
I disagree. I think when people go off the deep end, then yeah, they are idiots. But shedding a tear or two for a well-known and beloved celebrity is okay.

I'm sure people shed tears when Kennedy or King were shot, even though they didn't know them personally. I don't think that makes them idiots. :2cents:

We're talking about a minstrel. And undeniably talented minstrel, but nothing more than that.

This isnt the President. Or the Pope.

Maybe idiot is the wrong term, but the point is that too many people have become so obsessed with celebrity that deaths like this DO cause people to break down. That's a sad commentary on what people feel is important to them.

Are you calling MJ a minstrel?

Jackson never said that the condition affected his entire body.

Supposedly he bleached his body to even up the skin tone.

We've been on the sameside of the MJ debates and I still consider myself a huge MJ fan, but I do believe there were some self hate in MJ. Forget about bleaching his skin, he changed all of his black features to appear more caucasion. His most prominate friends were white. He had a white man father his kids.

Again, I like MJ, but that does bother me.

very nice thread to read breakfast over lol

i agree with most people here...

the only thing that I never get from racism discussions is why white people are so offended when a minority says somebody is being racist.

Its so personal with you guys, just because a white person is accused of being racist it's not a way of saying we are back in the civil rights era or that white people as a whole think that same exact way.

There are so many slippery slope arguments in this thread its kind of entertaining (especially with the whole sean taylor exchange)

I disagree. I think when people go off the deep end, then yeah, they are idiots. But shedding a tear or two for a well-known and beloved celebrity is okay.

I'm sure people shed tears when Kennedy or King were shot, even though they didn't know them personally. I don't think that makes them idiots. :2cents:

Kennedy and King are completely different situations.

the only thing that I never get from racism discussions is why white people are so offended when a minority says somebody is being racist.

Its so personal with you guys, just because a white person is accused of being racist it's not a way of saying we are back in the civil rights era or that white people as a whole think that same exact way.

There are so many slippery slope arguments in this thread its kind of entertaining (especially with the whole sean taylor exchange)

You just don't understand the struggle of the white man.

Please explain this comment?

That he's a minstrel?

Just another way of calling him an entertainer and nothing more.

It's a reference to entertainers of Historical Courts.

Here's wiki-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel

A minstrel was a medieval European bard who performed songs whose lyrics told stories about distant places or about real or imaginary historical events. Though minstrels created their own tales, often they would memorize and embellish the works of others. Frequently they were retained by royalty and high society. As the courts became more sophisticated, minstrels were eventually replaced at court by the troubadours, and many became wandering minstrels, performing in the streets and became well liked until the middle of the Renaissance, despite a decline beginning in the late 15th century. Minstrelsy fed into later traditions of traveling entertainers, which continued to be moderately strong into the early 20th century, and which has some continuity down to today's buskers or street musicians.

It's because white people are labeled racist all the time. MANY times, if something does not go a minority's way, it's because someone is racist. And that's offensive. White people often have to walk on eggshells when dealing with someone of another race because other races are so quick to label them racist.

For example, I had maybe 2 white kids out of 30 students this past school year. Out of the rest of the kids, 90% were Mexican. Let's say one of the Mexican students got into an argument with one of the white students. I would have to be VERY careful dealing with both the students and the parents, especially if the white kid was in the right. My students even joke about it- if I tell one of them to stop doing something inappropriate, they say "it's because I'm Mexican!" to get a laugh out of the rest of the class. They don't even know what they're talking about. They don't even know what racist is.

It's a cop-out to call white people racist all the time. Yes, there are racists out there, but just because Bill O'Reilly is a conservative with loud aggro views does not make him a racist.

It's because white people are labeled racist all the time. MANY times, if something does not go a minority's way, it's because someone is racist. And that's offensive. White people often have to walk on eggshells when dealing with someone of another race because other races are so quick to label them racist.

For example, I had maybe 2 white kids out of 30 students this past school year. Out of the rest of the kids, 90% were Mexican. Let's say one of the Mexican students got into an argument with one of the white students. I would have to be VERY careful dealing with both the students and the parents, especially if the white kid was in the right. My students even joke about it- if I tell one of them to stop doing something inappropriate, they say "it's because I'm Mexican!" to get a laugh out of the rest of the class. They don't even know what they're talking about. They don't even know what racist is.

It's a cop-out to call white people racist all the time. Yes, there are racists out there, but just because Bill O'Reilly is a conservative with loud aggro views does not make him a racist.

Oh please. No one calls white people racist all the time. Anytime a black person brings up race, you automatically labels him a race baiter. What's the difference?

Kennedy and King are completely different situations.

I agree with your initial post for the most part (I'm not really vibing on that part where you called people idiots for shedding tears for the man, especially when you have a pic of Chief Zee doing the same for Sean in your sig. ) because the topic seemed to have been the only news story that was talked about for two weeks. It's almost as if our local and world news reports had been replaced by Access Hollywood for the past two weeks. I think the problem I have with the coverage was how it seems as if the media did a complete 180 on the man. Maybe they did what was typical human nature and looked past the bad to only remember the person for the good they've done. O'Reilly is just throwing his log onto the fire but adding his own spin. I wonder what he had to say when they made a big to do about Princess Diana's passing?

No, we don't.

Just because you don't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You are not in my shoes. You do not live in my area. I believe that you don't. I believe that there are millions that don't. But I have experienced it, especially as a white teacher at a school that is 90% Mexican.

Archived