Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virginia Military Institute thread

skinfan133

Can you transfer to VMI? I'm 6 credits away from getting my associates from JTCC. If so, how does that work? Do you go in as a freshmen with the ratline and what not? Also, is there an age limit?

Thanks

yeah, it's possible to transfer in. I believe you must be 25 to come into the Institute.

The way it works is that you have to matriculate with the incoming rat class. You still take the upper level courses in order to complete your degree. once you meet the requirements you can graduate 'early' i.e. on time for you. Lots of guys who transfer in take a few extra courses so they can graduate with their VMI class.

thats it in a nutshell

neat! Good luck the rest of the way at VMI!

yeah, it's possible to transfer in. I believe you must be 25 to come into the Institute.

The way it works is that you have to matriculate with the incoming rat class. You still take the upper level courses in order to complete your degree. once you meet the requirements you can graduate 'early' i.e. on time for you. Lots of guys who transfer in take a few extra courses so they can graduate with their VMI class.

thats it in a nutshell

Right on thanks man. I think I'm going to run up there and have a chat with the dean of admissions.

I'm very excited that ODU will be playing VMI in football this upcoming season. One of my friends from back in high school went there. anyways, what's the scoop on me possibly getting a ticket to that game? I'd love to come up and see the campus and watch the game.
Tickets are easy to get online. games are rarely sold out unless there's a function that weekend (like an alumni thing). Yea, they give free post tours out of the Jackson museum in the chapel, if you make it here, definitly check it out.
ok, so at the academy they do training missions, war games, combat survival training. Do you guys do that at VMI? Academy students don't get the summers off and very little holidays. What about at VMI?
Yeah, our ROTC units do all that, same exact stuff. The rats also have NCMT, New cadet Military Training, where they do all of that, but VMI style. we have FTX's too (field training excersises), school shuts down for those.

it depends on summers for each cadet individually. Those who are contracted (i.e. scholarship) have comitments to the armed forces, but VMI itself doesn't impose anything on its cadets. VMI is unique: every student is a cadet, every student does ROTC, but unlike everywhere else you don't have to comission upon graduation, only if you had a scholarship.

our furloughs (breaks) are short too. we don't get a fall break, our christmas furlough is three weeks instead of four, and our spring furlough is 5 days not including weekends, it's also a week after every other school has spring break, so no one is around when we're out. Liberty is also restricted based on your class year. Liberty at VMI in general is alot more strict than other military schools and institutions.

Okay, now for a serious question. I can't imagine anyone willingly going to VMI (from a social/fun college atmosphere standpoint) unless they've been given an athletic scholarship or have a legacy and want to commission when they're done. But I assume there are others.

So here's my question. Joe Kegbelly decides to attend VMI, for whatever reason. His parents didn't go there, he hasn't been given an athletic scholarship, and has no intention of joining any branch of the military when he graduates. He has decided for whatever reason to forego drunken sorority girls for nights of being screamed and yelled at.

Joe is going to be a regular working guy, like an accountant. If he makes that intention clear, is he still required to take hand-to-hand combat training or other military skills, or can he take a full slate of business and math based classes?

Note, I'm not suggesting he avoid the rat line or anything like that, I'm just wondering if he can alter his courseload away from military based training.

I'm PMed skinsfan14 about this before, but I work right next door at Washington and Lee University (can see VMI campus from my office) and being someone who was born and raised in Lexington, it is definitely an institution.

Phoward, don't think that VMI doesn't have it's wild nights. While they might get screamed and yelled at on campus, I've seen many a cadet even more drunk than a W&L student (if that's even possible) off campus.

Okay, now for a serious question. I can't imagine anyone willingly going to VMI (from a social/fun college atmosphere standpoint) unless they've been given an athletic scholarship or have a legacy and want to commission when they're done. But I assume there are others.

So here's my question. Joe Kegbelly decides to attend VMI, for whatever reason. His parents didn't go there, he hasn't been given an athletic scholarship, and has no intention of joining any branch of the military when he graduates. He has decided for whatever reason to forego drunken sorority girls for nights of being screamed and yelled at.

Joe is going to be a regular working guy, like an accountant. If he makes that intention clear, is he still required to take hand-to-hand combat training or other military skills, or can he take a full slate of business and math based classes?

Note, I'm not suggesting he avoid the rat line or anything like that, I'm just wondering if he can alter his courseload away from military based training.

There is always a military component. I played football at the "I" and it certainly was less rigourous military wise than non-athletes had to deal with particularly parades but I still got woken up for "sweat parties" and had to march and salute, ROTC and military training. It may have changed since I was there but when I attended EVERYONE was in the military setting.

Dare I ask what the hell a "sweat party" is?

Its a lovely time when its still dark outside in the earlymorning hours when the "cadre" (the upper classman in charge of beating the 'rats' ass kicks open your door, spills you from your bed and works you out for 20 minutes wish pushups, mountain climbers and other lovely "wake up" devices. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. Its what we chose to do instead of sleeping off hangovers like all of our friends who went to college instead of an "institute". HAHAHAHAHAHA

If you are so disciplined, why can't you beat a party school like Radford in basketball? :)

Because let's face it, how many people who are talented enough to get a scholarship to play an NCAA sports will willingly attend a school that kicks your ass for four years when they have a choice to go party for the same four years and the person making this decision is 19 years old?

VMI doesn't lose sporting events because they are undisciplined they lose because they are recruiting people who can play a sport AND are willing to sacrifice these party years for something they percieve to be greater. I respect anyone who chooses VMI, the academies (even the Citadel:). It takes a certain type of person to go through it.

So what is your preference in the communal showers?;)

English Leather...

or

An Avon brand?

On an unrelated note, do you enjoy cornhole?

Cornhole.jpg

haha, very funny. I do enjoy cornhole, very much :D

well, its interesting, the answer is literally yes and no. If you have decided by your 2nd class year (junior) that you will not commission, you are not required to take the extra upper level rotc courses. you still have to take Military Science or Naval Science etc. though every year, but its a 1 hour course. as for the military system, every cadet is a member of the corps, and every cadet performs the duties given to them by the corps. no exceptions (athletes do get to miss parades sometimes and rat athletes miss out on some ratline activities, but other than that its exactly the same).
There is always a military component. I played football at the "I" and it certainly was less rigourous military wise than non-athletes had to deal with particularly parades but I still got woken up for "sweat parties" and had to march and salute, ROTC and military training. It may have changed since I was there but when I attended EVERYONE was in the military setting.
It has not changed in that regard. I was a rat athlete (NCAA rifle), but I'm not sure if I can continue with that this year. it's complicated.
Its a lovely time when its still dark outside in the earlymorning hours when the "cadre" (the upper classman in charge of beating the 'rats' ass kicks open your door, spills you from your bed and works you out for 20 minutes wish pushups, mountain climbers and other lovely "wake up" devices. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. Its what we chose to do instead of sleeping off hangovers like all of our friends who went to college instead of an "institute". HAHAHAHAHAHA
yup, thats a sweat party :)
If their nickname is the Keydets, why is their mascot a Kangaroo?
Moe the kangaroo is based off an actual kangaroo the corps got from Australia. the mascot has stuck ever since.
If you are so disciplined, why can't you beat a party school like Radford in basketball? :)
:saber: there is always next year

Hey Skinfan, best of luck to you buddy. It gets better by the way. Heck, by the time your a 1st, you basically run the place. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. By the way, what's it like with women there? There weren't any when I went. I can't imagine how different it is now.

Archived