Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Virginia Military Institute thread

skinfan133

I went to a similiar college Norwich University in Vermont.. we did an exchange program with VMI. We would send 5 cadets down there and they would send 5 up to Vermont.. Military College sucks the first year, but the memories and commradarie is unmatched by any college or university anywhere

Hey Skinfan, best of luck to you buddy. It gets better by the way. Heck, by the time your a 1st, you basically run the place. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. By the way, what's it like with women there? There weren't any when I went. I can't imagine how different it is now.

I don't have a previous point of reference to judge the issue on. plus I have to be careful with what I say on the matter, this is after all a public forum.

that said, I'm sure its pretty different. The females in my class are still my 'brother' rats. last year they instituted an integrated physical fitness system. before it was one corps, one standard. now the female test is so easy, its makes a few people upset.

also, rats will have haydown at 12 next year for the first time ever. my class is pissed. (but now we can say 'back in the old corps' lol)

VMI doesn't lose sporting events because they are undisciplined they lose because they are recruiting people who can play a sport AND are willing to sacrifice these party years for something they percieve to be greater. I respect anyone who chooses VMI, the academies (even the Citadel:).
Not me. Pass the beer bong!:laugh: RU!

Several of my closest friends went to VMI. I got to watch the thing where all the new students are lined up in the courtyard and the cadre comes running out and verbally abuses them for 20 minutes. That was pretty sweet.

They all used to visit me on any extended weekend at WVU. Hilarity often ensued as a half dozen guys who havent seen a beer or a girl for months are unleashed in possibly the biggest party school in the country.

Several of my closest friends went to VMI. I got to watch the thing where all the new students are lined up in the courtyard and the cadre comes running out and verbally abuses them for 20 minutes. That was pretty sweet.

They all used to visit me on any extended weekend at WVU. Hilarity often ensued as a half dozen guys who havent seen a beer or a girl for months are unleashed in possibly the biggest party school in the country.

I hear ya on that. I'm proabably going to be spending time on weekends there this year. :D

how far a drive is it from WVU and VMI?

New Market Day, honoring the 10 cadets who died at the Battle of New Market. Big deal for VMI, the whole school fought in that battle, the only military school in the nation to do so. We can fix bayonets during parade because of our service as a military unit in battle. Our winter wool overcoats also have red on the inside to represent blood lost in pitched battle.

I grew up in New Market.:)

1000 points for MissU! yup, my goal is to become a Marine helicopter pilot.

That's what my brother is planning to do- right now he's in the marines and he's a helicopter crew chief (and a recent Staff Sgt!), but he wants to go to OCS next year and start training to be a pilot. He's finishing his degree in a month or two. Maybe you'll run into him one of these days.

So is VMI a replacement of OCS? Do you still have to go through the regular bootcamp or is there "officers" boot camp? One of my boyfriend's friends left last year to become an officer- he started off in Quantico for boot camp and now he's taking a bunch of classes I think in Florida. Do you bypass that? I guess you do if you graduate as an officer.

I guess my question is...what's the difference in you graduating from VMI and becoming a pilot than someone who graduated from a "regular" college trying to become a pilot?

That's what my brother is planning to do- right now he's in the marines and he's a helicopter crew chief (and a recent Staff Sgt!), but he wants to go to OCS next year and start training to be a pilot. He's finishing his degree in a month or two. Maybe you'll run into him one of these days.

So is VMI a replacement of OCS? Do you still have to go through the regular bootcamp or is there "officers" boot camp? One of my boyfriend's friends left last year to become an officer- he started off in Quantico for boot camp and now he's taking a bunch of classes I think in Florida. Do you bypass that? I guess you do if you graduate as an officer.

I guess my question is...what's the difference in you graduating from VMI and becoming a pilot than someone who graduated from a "regular" college trying to become a pilot?

not to sound elitist, but its just a fact. VMI carries a good reputation in the military, so I can basically have guaranteed aviation aviation school when I commission. for guys who graduate PLC or do OCS after enlisting, it's tougher to get a slot.

the difference between ROTC and enlisting is that you don't have to do enlisted boot camp and you train to be an officer while working toward your degree. a 4 year degree of some kind is a requirement for becoming an officer. I still have to do summer OCS my junior year too.

1000 points for MissU! yup, my goal is to become a Marine helicopter pilot.

That's cool. My cousin, who has spent the majority of the last five years in Iraq, and will be going back to Afghanistan probably soon...he is doing helicopter pilot training currently. He seems to be having fun.

That's cool. My cousin, who has spent the majority of the last five years in Iraq, and will be going back to Afghanistan probably soon...he is doing helicopter pilot training currently. He seems to be having fun.
that's really cool! do you know which bird he eventually wants to/will fly?

that's really cool! do you know which bird he eventually wants to/will fly?

You will know more about helicopters than me, so maybe you can tell me what type this is. He is the one in the middle, and it's what he has used for his training.

jordancopter.jpg

or can you even tell from this photo?

My brother :)

oohrah!!!

:silly:

nice photos! there's so many great jobs in military flight, but I don't know why, i have my heart set on helicopters. There's something about them to me that's more appealing than jets. (probably the Marine ethos lol)
You will know more about helicopters than me, so maybe you can tell me what type this is. He is the one in the middle, and it's what he has used for his training.

or can you even tell from this photo?

that's a Huey, can't remember which model, but it's standard for basic flight training.

ummmm huey?

that's a Huey, can't remember which model, but it's standard for basic flight training.

beat youuuuuuuuuuu!!!

nice photos! there's so many great jobs in military flight, but I don't know why, i have my heart set on helicopters. There's something about them to me that's more appealing than jets. (probably the Marine ethos lol)

My boyfriend works on helicopters....he works on base as a contractor on hueys. I think his job is SEXY! He comes home lookin' all manly, with grease all over his arms.

But pilots are cool, too. My brother loves flying in those things.

beat youuuuuuuuuuu!!!

My boyfriend works on helicopters....he works on base as a contractor on hueys. I think his job is SEXY! He comes home lookin' all manly, with grease all over his arms.

But pilots are cool, too. My brother loves flying in those things.

well hopefully someday I'll have my own really cool photos to post :)

I didn't know you were so connected to the military, that's pretty neat

well hopefully someday I'll have my own really cool photos to post :)

I didn't know you were so connected to the military, that's pretty neat

Both my dad and my grandpa were in the army...

And as for my brother and my bf- they make fun of me- i'm more into the marines than they are! I sit there asking so many questions...I'm so into it.

I love knowing the different ranks, and what certain ranks have to do to the other ranks. My brother and boyfriend work in the same shop- but my boyfriend's a civilian and my brother's a staff sgt. So I get to hear all about how the civilians and the marines intermix, and my bf and I hang out with a lot of marines/ex marines- it's funny to hear that one of their mutual friends, Nick, has to say hi to my brother in a different way than he says hi to like a sgt or else he could get in trouble. And it's funny that my brother doesn't care if people call him by his first name or not, but if a sgt. didn't call a staff by his rank and he DID care, he could get chewed out for it.

It's all just so interesting to me bc it's a different world.

Just the other night I was entranced watching the military channel- they're filming this class of Navy Seals, and it is sooo interesting. Especially after reading "Lone Survivor."

But anyway, they won't allow me to become a marine myself because they say that marine females are all....er....promiscuous. :silly: So I'll just live vicariously through them and their stories.

p.s. sorry for hijackin the thread! More VMI, go ahead!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived