Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Attacks Woman, 76, Tending Garden

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mostpopular/19905701/detail.html

A 76-year-old Worcester woman is recovering in the hospital with serious injuries after being attacked by a fox while she worked in her vegetable garden Tuesday.

Wenyu Chen was gardening at her Mount Hope Terrace apartment when she was surprised by the fox, but luckily was rescued by two men who were working at a pest control job nearby.

Leo Dupont and Robert Ford sprang into action when they heard Chen's cries for help.

"As soon as we looked over, there's a woman with a fox hanging off her arm, just draped like this, screaming," Dupont said.

One hurried to call police and the other ran to help her.

"I ran over and I kicked the thing as hard as I could and it went against that wall and I grabbed that woman by her bloody hands and I said, 'Come with me, come with me,' and I dragged her over to this car," Ford said.

Ford demonstrating how he kicked at the fox while trying to rescue the woman. More

Neighbors watched the scene in horror from a second-floor apartment.

"She had blood all over her arm, blood all on her leg. She was just bloody, man. She was out of it," A.G. Harrison said.

As he tried to help Chen and get her to the safety of a nearby car, Ford said, the fox turned on him.

"I hear him yelling to her, 'Go in the house, go in the house.' It wasn't but two seconds after that, the thing came after Bobby," Dupont said.

The vicious animal did not back down.

"He backed me up onto the roof (of the car) and then he actually jumped up here and he got up. So I kicked him in his head and he flung off and he got even madder and he came back and he jumped up again," Ford said.

Ford ran to the woman's aid. More

It clamped on to Ford's shin as he was trapped on the top of the car, but officers eventually arrived at the scene and fired three shots at the fox, which was later euthanized by animal control officers.

"That thing was so aggressive and it was out to kill. There's no doubt about it," Dupont said.

The animal was being sent to a state lab for rabies testing.

19913140_640X480.jpg

This image of him re-enacting the kicking made me lol....:wtf: was the purpose of posting a picture of this?

We've got foxes in my neighborhood. They're too small to be a serious threat to anybody. They're the size of a large house cat. This fox obviously had rabies and was rabid. I've seen foxes go after my cat before, Seen my cat back them down and hold her ground against them too. Going after a person is just not something a sane animal would do.

Cayotees are more of a danger for small kids and they're in our region too. And of Coarse mountain lions; There are a growing number of people who believe mountain lions are moving back into Virginia feasting off the growing dear population which is today larger than it was in revolutionary war days...

Actually had a mountain lion sighting in McLean a few years back, not me personally but in the local paper. Those things are impressive. No worries though as long as they have deer to eat, figure we're safe.

That fox had to be early-stage rabid. There's one in my neighborhood that plays (in a rival/territorial sort of way) with my cat and has no aggression towards me when I go out I the yard to make sure my cat is cool with it. It just runs off. I don't think they are aggressive to humans at all.

Pretty odd behavior for a fox for sure. They tend to be pretty antsy. Same with the bobcats. Hopefully this lady makes a full recovery. Pretty harrowing experience I would think.

I heard they have pills for rabies now and you no longer have to get those painful shots in the gut.

That fox had to be early-stage rabid. There's one in my neighborhood that plays (in a rival/territorial sort of way) with my cat and has no aggression towards me when I go out I the yard to make sure my cat is cool with it. It just runs off. I don't think they are aggressive to humans at all.

Going after a full grown man is definitely crazy. Going after a frail old asian lady bent over tending her garden might just be opprotunistic.... Foxes typically eat rodents,

We've got foxes in my neighborhood. They're too small to be a serious threat to anybody. They're the size of a large house cat. This fox obviously had rabies and was rabid.

Well that's just it- a rabid fox doesn't care how big it is

A co-worker of mine's son was bitten by a rabid fox. They were fortunate enough to catch it in time, but he could easily have died.

Cayotees are more of a danger for small kids and they're in our region too. And of Coarse mountain lions; There are a growing number of people who believe mountain lions are moving back into Virginia feasting off the growing dear population which is today larger than it was in revolutionary war days...

Actually had a mountain lion sighting in McLean a few years back, not me personally but in the local paper. Those things are impressive. No worries though as long as they have deer to eat, figure we're safe.

Last I read about mountain lions, though its been a few years, is that there is no confirmed evidence of them (scat, carcass, fur, etc. collected by government agents)

Has this changed?

My dad swears he almost hit a mountain lion while driving thru Shenandoah Nat'l Park about 10 years ago. He is a very level headed person and grew up in Utah- he certainly knows what a mtn lion looks like. I believe him 100%, I'm just wondering if the Park Service has ever gotten around to confirming it.

Agreed again. I've nearly made it a habit of running in to the things out here at times and they are skittish to say the least.

I heard they have pills for rabies now and you no longer have to get those painful shots in the gut.

That would be a very good thing.

Last I read about mountain lions, though its been a few years, is that there is no confirmed evidence of them (scat, carcass, fur, etc. collected by government agents)

Has this changed?

Mountain lions teritories are huge. 250 square miles. And they are very reclusive; so it's not unreasonable not to find evidence of them. The reason folks think they are making a come back in this region is because of the numbers of sitings....

My dad swears he almost hit a mountain lion while driving thru Shenandoah Nat'l Park about 10 years ago. He is a very level headed person and grew up in Utah- he certainly knows what a mtn lion looks like. I believe him 100%, I'm just wondering if the Park Service has ever gotten around to confirming it.

The article I was reading in the newspaper (either Post, or McLean Globe; late 80's early 90's )was interveiwing a fairfax country animal control guy.. ( Dog Catcher )... He was getting calls about mountain lions a few times a year for several years and always laughed them off saying Mountain lions haven't existed in this region since the 1700's. Then he was called to a Mclean sighting where an early morning jogger running down a bike path came face to face with a large cat. The jogger and cat both startled ran away in oposite directions. It made the papers because the animal control guy, who was dismisive at first, actually found mountain lion tracks near the bike path, confirming the event. At the time this wasn't thought to be mountain lions coming back into the region. They thought some dude's exotic pet got out and was living off the local dear population.

Since that time there have been a number of sightings every year; but I don't know what they're looking for as proof they're back in the region. I know their is a study going on in the Shanandoah trying to catch mountain lions on motion activated cameras. They got a grant to conduct a study on the subject.

Definitely sounds like the fox was rabid.

Has this changed?

Government agencies might not want to confirm the presence of mountain lions here on the east coast. PA Game Commission denies it but I have a friend whose Grandfather's livestock has been slaughtered and the evidence points to mountain lions. My one cousin said he saw one in western Maryland a few years back (he's not the type to make up stories).

Archived