Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Release: WASHINGTON REDSKINS UNVEIL NEW PARKING LOT AND MORE TAILGATING...

JimmiJo

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

June 22, 2009

WASHINGTON REDSKINS UNVEIL NEW PARKING LOT AND MORE TAILGATING TO ENHANCE FAN ACCESS AND EXPERIENCE AT FEDEX FIELD

LANDOVER, MD – A new FedEx Field parking lot will be opened for thousands of Washington Redskins fans with the onset of the 2009 season, the team announced today. Additionally, new post-game traffic patterns and parking policies will be implemented to improve traffic flow in parking lots and on stadium roads.

“We expect to have more tailgaters than ever,” said Mitch Gershman, the Redskins Chief Operating Officer. “Those who want to meet with their friends will have more space, and those who want to simply park will find it easier to do so.”

Opening of the new Gray lot off of Landover Road will now allow all fans with season parking the ability to park in lots on FedEx Field property, within sight and walking distance of the stadium. Nearly 3,000 new parking spaces were added to the stadium property.

The new lot was opened and traffic patterns revised after extensive review by an outside consulting firm, as well as benchmarking with other major stadiums around the country.

The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles. Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back. Tailgating is permitted in all lots, except Platinum. Platinum lot parkers who choose to tailgate will be provided passes for Purple lots.

"Everyone who wants to tailgate should be able to tailgate. We absolutely believe that," Gershman said. "This is designed to improve the experience for fans who want to tailgate.”

"Our outside consultant analyzed the flow on roads and in the parking lots at FedEx Field, with cameras recording the traffic patterns. What we found was that when tailgaters spread into multiple spaces, it caused congestion in the lots, and resulted in inconvenience to everyone - the fans tailgating and the fans who were just looking to park in their assigned lots,” Gershman said.

The team will no longer maintain game-day, cash parking lots since there are numerous private operators in the stadium vicinity providing the service.

During post-game congestion periods, cars exiting lots will be directed to dedicated traffic lanes, a procedure that has been in effect for pre-game traffic for several years. The team is also in discussions with Prince George’s County officials on the possibility of making traffic one-way leading to the Beltway during peak post-game congestion around the stadium, amongst other changes that can improve the game day experience.

The team also announced that it has enhanced its in-stadium text alert system. Introduced last year for the first full season, the text system allows fans to use their cell phones or PDAs to conveniently alert stadium officials to any concerns or unruly behavior in their sections. The team has added more stadium ushers, and will dedicate more senior-level staff to manage and monitor the system, and direct the appropriate response to any situation.

“Like other stadiums, we found that fans consider this system a true enhancement to their game-day experience,” Gershman said. “It helps us get maintenance, security, or medical staff moving faster and more efficiently if the need arises.”

The Redskins will also introduce electronic scanning of tickets, ending the practice of “ripping” tickets as fans enter the stadium and allowing greater flexibility in tracking seat use.

PRESS RELEASE

The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles. Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back. Tailgating is permitted in all lots, except Platinum. Platinum lot parkers who choose to tailgate will be provided passes for Purple lots.

"Everyone who wants to tailgate should be able to tailgate. We absolutely believe that," Gershman said. "This is designed to improve the experience for fans who want to tailgate.”

This does make sense

However I think it would be smarter to give passes to tailgaters who wish to have multiple spots

This seems like a much better idea than what was originally conveyed...

Still not great, but I don't imagine the uproar being near what it was now with this release..

I think it makes sense in trying to seperate the big large tailgates (i.e the ES ones) from individuals wishing to park or have a small tailgate

It's still not clear whether you can pick your spot when directed to the tailgate areas, or if you'll be directed where to park as in the single-car lots.

To me it sounds like you can choose where to park in the tailgate lots, but the single person no tailgate lots will have direction

Basically you tell the parking lot attendant "I am going to a big tailgate"

Then you are clear

Or you tell them "I am not tailgating" they point you to a certain section to park in and direct you from there.

I am guessing there will be some sort of penalty for tailgating in no tailgate zones

Interesting.

From MTH's post in the Tailgating policy thread:

To improve game day parking, tailgating will no longer be permitted in

the PLATINUM PARKING LOTS. (That means the use of grills, coolers,

chairs, tables or other devices that could inhibit pedestrian passage

or vehicular access is not allowed. Activities that do not use any

additional space beyond your parking space, however, is permitted.)

TAILGATING IS PERMITTED IN THE LAST FEW ROWS OF ALL OTHER LOTS.

This still does not address the problem of location. If I want to tailgate with some ES folks and don't all pre meet and line up car to car, there is not way that you can "join" another group. Driving from Richmond will make this basically impossible. So I can arrive, be directed to a lot to "tailgate" with people I do not know. I guess it beats getting there and having to buy $15 cheeseburgers and $8 beers...lastly, what if I am not going to put up a tent, but want to grill some steaks and have some beers on the tailgate of the truck...where to I go?? I guess until we get to experience this process we will not know, but than I will have already ponied up the $$ for tickets.

This still does not address the problem of location. If I want to tailgate with some ES folks and don't all pre meet and line up car to car, there is not way that you can "join" another group. Driving from Richmond will make this basically impossible. So I can arrive, be directed to a lot to "tailgate" with people I do not know. I guess it beats getting there and having to buy $15 cheeseburgers and $8 beers...lastly, what if I am not going to put up a tent, but want to grill some steaks and have some beers on the tailgate of the truck...where to I go?? I guess until we get to experience this process we will not know, but than I will have already ponied up the $$ for tickets.

I think it does

Basically, from my understanding, if you are going to the ES tailgate you will be fine. You will simply be directed to the back of the lot, where ES already sets up

However, if you are someone like myself, who rarely tailgates and just wants to park, you'll be pointed to the front of the lot and directed as to where to park there

This is BS. The people that don;t take up multiple spots should be allowed to stay where they are and not be directed to specific locations to park. This means that even though the ES tailgate doesn't take up any extra spots they will be directed where to go and it may not be in the usual place.

So this is essentially what they seem to have been trying to do (and failing at). Sounds to me like ES and others who have a spot towards the back of their lot will be fine.

The only ones that will have issues will be people that tailgate taking up more than one space towards the front of their lot....so they'll have to move to the back of their lot (not all the lots).

Not so bad if you ask me...and pretty much what I expected....sounded a lot worse at first, then not so bad...and it does make sense.

This is BS. The people that don;t take up multiple spots should be allowed to stay where they are and not be directed to specific locations to park. This means that even though the ES tailgate doesn't take up any extra spots they will be directed where to go and it may not be in the usual place.

I don't think it does.

I think it means that the ES tailgate will be in the back where it usually is because it is a larger tailgate.

People will be directed if they are not tailgating, or not setting up any equipment.

That is my understanding of it, but I could be wrong

So this is essentially what they seem to have been trying to do (and failing at). Sounds to me like ES and others who have a spot towards the back of their lot will be fine.

The only ones that will have issues will be people that tailgate taking up more than one space towards the front of their lot....so they'll have to move to the back of their lot (not all the lots).

Not so bad if you ask me...and pretty much what I expected....sounded a lot worse at first' date=' then not so bad...and it does make sense.[/quote']

Exactly what I think too.

You can take up multiple spots towards the back, basically where the ES tailgate already occurs. But closer up, you can only have one spot and are not allowed to tailgate in the platinum lot

I dunno, this actually seems reasonable to me. What would make more sense to me would be if groups were able to sign up and get assigned spots so that there is no trouble caused

I don't think it does.

I think it means that the ES tailgate will be in the back where it usually is because it is a larger tailgate.

People will be directed if they are not tailgating, or not setting up any equipment.

That is my understanding of it, but I could be wrong

That's how I understand it too....it doesn't say we will be directed to a certain space, just to the multi-space tailgate portion of the lot.

To me it sounds like you can choose where to park in the tailgate lots, but the single person no tailgate lots will have direction

Basically you tell the parking lot attendant "I am going to a big tailgate"

Then you are clear

Or you tell them "I am not tailgating" they point you to a certain section to park in and direct you from there.

I am guessing there will be some sort of penalty for tailgating in no tailgate zones

The way the policy reads to me, is that you will be sent to the new two-spots area, but still directed to park by attendants. Then, your second spot may be filled in later as the lots become full. I'm still not seeing anywhere in the policy that large tailgates will be allowed to group together throughout the first few hours of the morning as in the past.

The lead balloon thing. Like, in how it goes over...

No, this does not address the ES Tailgate situation that we are now facing.

This to me is the critical passage

The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles. Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back.

So if I am interpreting this correct (which being me, I am) it means the following

If you want to tailgate with the ES group, that is fine, you go to the back of the lot. Which makes sense and is already done. You can have multiple spots there unless spaces are needed.

If you are someone like myself, goes to 1-2 games per year, doesn't bring anything for a tailgate, I will have to park up front where I will be directed where to park and will not be allowed to have multiple spots. Nor will I be able to tailgate, but I can hang out in my parking space

The way the policy reads to me, is that you will be sent to the new two-spots area, but still directed to park by attendants. Then, your second spot may be filled in later as the lots become full. I'm still not seeing anywhere in the policy that large tailgates will be allowed to group together throughout the first few hours of the morning as in the past.

The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles. Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back.

Nowhere does it say they will direct you into a space. It only says they will direct you to the back of the lot. Which honestly does make sense to me if they do that.

And I am sure by the 2nd game, they'll know the ES tailgate and who goes there

I'm still not seeing anywhere in the policy that large tailgates will be allowed to group together throughout the first few hours of the morning as in the past.

But it doesn't say they won't be either. It say they will be directed to the tailgate area, not to specific spaces....and if spaces in that section are open later, people can park there, just like they have been...

I'm glad the Redskins issued this statement. It seems like this is a move by the organization to help out with traffic flows. Which is something that many have complained about over the years

Agree. And I do think if they start reserving spots for groups, I.E the ES group can call before the season starts and get parking passes for certain spaces, that it will work even better.

The tailgates will be where they want to be anyways, in the back of the lot by the trees, which is primo tailgate grounds.

People like me trying to park will be fine up front

Archived