Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should teams be punished for fans rioting?

The_Godfather

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

... only if it helps my team.

If it can be proven that security was lax or that the "team" egged on or encouraged the riot then I can see fines or other penalties. Otherwise, it really isn't the players' or team's fault if the fans get drunk or stupid.

Why should teams be punished for idiot fans? The punishment of these individuals that use a team winning a title as an excuse to act like a hoodlum needs to be harsher.

Because these kind of people obviously don't care what happens to them. If they punish the team, maybe the fans will settle down for fear of hurting their favorite's chances again.

I agree, there is no excuse for this sort of behavior. But I would punish the team in addition to arresting and punishing the rioters.

~Bang

Because these kind of people obviously don't care what happens to them. If they punish the team, maybe the fans will settle down for fear of hurting their favorite's chances again.

I agree, there is no excuse for this sort of behavior. But I would punish the team in addition to arresting and punishing the rioters.

~Bang

How would you punish them?

No, teams can't control their fans and they shouldn't be expected to. Are you going to reward all the fans that don't start trouble? Championship rings for the fans, signing bonuses for rooting them on for another three years?

No.

In this case, the Lakers even did what they could to quell this sort of behavior. The Staples Center was closed this time to avoid having a rowdy gathering of drunken idiots.

The also team put out commercials about "celebrating responsibly" and "with dignity" immediately following the game.

I don't think the teams should be punished for the behavior of idiots; I think the idiots should be harshly punished for this behavior. I wouldn't mind harsher sentencing penalties for perpetrators of sports-related rioting.

No, teams can't control their fans and they shouldn't be expected to. Are you going to reward all the fans that don't start trouble? Championship rings for the fans, signing bonuses for rooting them on for another three years?

Are you rewarded for parking in a parking space?

Are you rewarded for driving the speed limit?

Why would fans be rewarded for doing what every citizen is expected to do - obey the law.

The teams have absolutely nothing to do with the criminal actions of a few knuckleheads, so no, they should not be punished.

These are not large demonstrations by a big segment of the fan base. These are a few idiots who would probably act like this regardless of any threatened sanction against the team.

You can't fine or take away draft picks or suspend a coach because a couple dozen bozos act up. Throw those guys in jail and charge them to the maximum extent possible. But don't blame the teams for it.

You want to hurt the rioters. Let em know if they are caught rioting they will see a lifetime ban from their team's stadium. Moreover, if there is rioting there will be a tv blackout on that team's games in the home city for a period of no less than one month and the first week of next year's playoffs (if their team makes it).

(okay, that will never happen because of revenue, but boy would it get people's attention)

Archived