Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Champion Detroit Lions

royallypwned

http://www.cracked.com/article_17209_insane-sports-stories-that-will-make-you-believe-in-curses.html

#5.The Detroit Lions and the Cruse of Bobby Layne

Bobby Layne was a Hall of Fame NFL quarterback who played for the Detroit Lions from 1950 to 1958. He's often credited with single-handedly leading the team to three league championships in his eight-year tenure with the team, including two back to back.

Despite this, in 1958 and fresh off their third NFL championship, the Lions traded Bobby to Pittsburgh, thinking he was past his prime. Bobby took the news of this perceived betrayal incredibly hard, and as he boarded the bus bound for Pittsburgh, publicly stated that Detroit "would not win for 50 years."

If you've done the math, you know that Bobby's curse ran out after last year. In the curse's 50th and final year, the hex hit its macabre crescendo when the Lions managed to lose every single regular season game to finish 0-16, the first team in NFL history to ever do so.

We don't care how much you claim to not believe in curses, if the Lions win the Super Bowl next year, it's probably time to get superstitious."

If the Lions win the Super Bowl, I'm going to hire my own personal voodoo witch doctor, because there would be no other explanation for this.

Pop Quiz:

What NFL team is currently leading the league in offensive yards per game?

Wait for it...wait for it...

The Detroit Lions.

I wonder how many dominant Super Bowl victories it will take before the Lombardi trophy is renamed the Stafford trophy?

Pop Quiz:

What NFL team is currently leading the league in offensive yards per game?

Wait for it...wait for it...

The Detroit Lions.

I wonder how many dominant Super Bowl victories it will take before the Lombardi trophy is renamed the Stafford trophy?

The Lions will take over those old Warner-led Rams teams as "The Greatest Show on Turf." :notworthy

yeah I thought that was pretty damn funny. But the Lions will make them look stupid this year! :cool:

Don't worry, with them starting a rookie QB with that horrid O-line, there's plenty of stupid to go around.

Somewhere, Joey Harrington and David Carr are laughing and crying right now at the same time.

Don't worry, with them starting a rookie QB with that horrid O-line, there's plenty of stupid to go around.

Somewhere, Joey Harrington and David Carr are laughing and crying right now at the same time.

yes, all the opposing defenders who fall on their face after getting juked by Stafford. :)

^ So what is about Stafford? Did you go to the same college, do you know him personally, share the same first name, what?

I mean obviously, you can be madly in love him because we all know he's going to lead the Lions to the greatest single season turnaround in NFL history, but you know besides that?

There are numerous reasons, but I'll start at the top. First off, he's from Dallas, but that just scrapes the surface. Stafford and I had mutual friends. He went to school at Highland Park HS, which is about a mile away from where I went to college (SMU), while I was there. He's a few years younger than me, but I knew a few people who knew him well at HP. I met him for the first time during his senior year of HS. Saw a few of his games that season with our mutual friends, and attended his state championship winning game. We had a few discussions every now and then. But what really put it over the top was when I found out he had decided to go to Georgia. I had already been a huge UGA fan for a long long time, and now Stafford was going there. So of course, while he was at UGA, I became even more of a Stafford fan than I already was while he was at HP. And when he made it to the NFL (which I knew was gonna happen after watching him in HS. Seriously, his arm strength is that good)...he became the first NFL player who I had known and conversed with before making it to the NFL. To sum it all up, he's a Dallas kid, played for my favorite college team, and is a fun guy to hang with.

I just wanted to say how blown away I was in the "Great Man" Sunday.

While many are mocking his 3 INT's in the blue #9 shirt, their failing to take into account the 6 TD's he threw when he reversed it to a white #9 shirt.

Even a superhero of the caliber of Sir Matthew knows that to pull of such an outstanding physical effort of playing for both teams, and not get caught, he needed to weigh up the fantastic with the rookie.

Next week at home he plans to reverse the trend. Vikings beware.

Sorry Brett, but that's a sacrifice your name will have to make in honor of true greatness.

Matthew Stafford, a man who gives to all.

Hail.

Archived