Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

House passes 'clunkers' plan to boost car sales

China

House passes 'clunkers' plan to boost car sales

By KEN THOMAS

WASHINGTON – The House on Tuesday approved a "cash for clunkers" bill that aims to boost new auto sales by allowing consumers to turn in their gas-guzzling cars and trucks for vouchers worth up to $4,500 toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.

President Barack Obama has encouraged Congress to approve consumer incentives for new car purchases as part of the government's work to restructure General Motors and Chrysler. The House approved the bill 298-119.

Supporters pushed for the measure to stimulate car sales and increase the fleet of fuel-efficient vehicles on the nation's highways. The auto industry has sought the incentives after months of poor auto sales. In May, overall sales were 34 percent lower than a year ago.

"Stimulating sales is the only way to get the auto industry back on its feet," said Rep. Donald Manzullo, R-Ill.

General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC have received billions of dollars in government aid and the entire auto industry has watched car sales plummet during the past year. In May, overall sales were 34 percent lower than a year ago.

"Our industry has been stuck in neutral and really has not started to move," said Larry Kull, president of Marlton, N.J.-based Burns Kull Automotive Group, which includes General Motors, Honda and Toyota dealerships.

The vehicle scrappage bill has been under negotiations for months as lawmakers try to find a solution that boosts car sales while providing some environmental benefits. Proponents have pointed to similar programs in Europe that have enhanced auto sales.

Opponents said the bill failed to include incentives for used vehicles and represented an artificial incentive for the industry.

"It's defying the laws of economics and saying we can manufacture enough of a demand to keep the auto industry afloat," said Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.

Separately, House and Senate appropriators were discussing providing $1 billion to a supplemental war funding bill for the "cash for clunkers" program, which aims to generate about 1 million new auto sales. Since the yearlong vehicle program is expected to cost $4 billion, lawmakers would attempt to find the additional money later this year.

Under the House bill, car owners could get a voucher worth $3,500 if they traded in a vehicle getting 18 miles per gallon or less for one getting at least 22 miles per gallon. The value of the voucher would grow to $4,500 if the mileage of the new car is 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle. The miles per gallon figures are listed on the window sticker.

Owners of sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks or minivans that get 18 mpg or less could receive a voucher for $3,500 if their new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than their old vehicle. The voucher would increase to $4,500 if the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the older vehicle. Consumers could also receive vouchers for leased vehicles.

Rep. Betty Sutton, D-Ohio, the bill's chief sponsor, said the bill showed that "the multiple goals of helping consumers purchase more fuel efficient vehicles, improving our environment and boosting auto sales can be achieved." Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., has backed a similar version in the Senate, which has the support of automakers and their unions.

The bill would direct dealers to ensure that the older vehicles are crushed or shredded to get the clunkers off the road. It was intended to help replace older vehicles — built in model year 1984 or later — and would not make financial sense for consumers owning an older car with a trade-in value greater than $3,500 or $4,500.

Why not simply provide a subsidy for anybody buying a "fuel efficient" American car? It accomplishes the same thing and requires less administrative headache.

even better, no subsidy and waive all federal taxes and fees that relate to driving for the life of your auto loan or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Now THAT would stimulate the economy from the common man's perspective.

How about people work hard, save their money, replenish our national reserve of savings. Maybe to do this we'll have to drive our ugly "clunkers" around for a few more years than we'd like, but you can't get ahead without sacrifice, right?

Oh yeah, this is America, where economic hard times are an excuse to act more irresponsibly.

That seems unfair,

Do I have time to buy a $100 car and trade it in for $4,500?

Um well the KBB on a H2 even on trade in has got to be larger than 4.5k

I mean I get what youre saying that we shouldn't help people that made bad decisions and I agree.

But I don't think 4.5k is really a lot in trade in value. Enough to make people go flip cars right away.

even better, no subsidy and waive all federal taxes and fees that relate to driving for the life of your auto loan or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Now THAT would stimulate the economy from the common man's perspective.

But that would actually make sense. We can't do that...

The way it is written, you could get a voucher while buying a new Hummer.

Stupid.

Yep

Why not include the credit for motorcycle purchases as well?

The asking price for my old Explorer just went up:D

STupid bill. Wasting tax payer dollars on the global warming myth. If people want to buy hybrids they will.

way to miss the point entirely.

It isn't about global warming. Even if it were an attempt to reduce fuel consumption, it would be to reduce dependence on oil, not to reduce greenhouse gasses.

It's ostensibly about saving the American Auto Industry. It's about increasing consumerism, to help these failing companies. An estimated 1 in 10 jobs, about 13,000,000, is related to the automobile industry. If we help them, we save job cuts. That's the thinking anyway.

It's failed thinking, because the job cuts will still happen.

Struggling families should not be buying cars. It reminds me of when Bush told everybody to go out and spend for the holidays. It's not a creative solution to this problem at all.

this may not be the best way to go about ridding American streets of gas guzzlers, but I'm sure as hell taking advantage of the program. I've been waiting for this program to pass, the Senate is next, in order to buy a new car. I've got two late 90s SUVs I was just gonna junk or donate cause they had little to no trade in value

"I've got two late 90s SUVs I was just gonna junk or donate cause they had little to no trade in value"

Consider that now $9K.

You have to move up 10 MPG to get the $4500, I think its 4 or 5 to get the $3500.

If you drive an old Ford pick up truck that gets 15 MPG, and buy a new 2009 Chevrolet Silverado that gets 20 MPG.

You can get $4500.

"I've got two late 90s SUVs I was just gonna junk or donate cause they had little to no trade in value"

Consider that now $9K.

You have to move up 10 MPG to get the $4500, I think its 4 or 5 to get the $3500.

If you drive an old Ford pick up truck that gets 15 MPG, and buy a new 2009 Chevrolet Silverado that gets 20 MPG.

You can get $4500.

yeah, the program is a bit suspect. they should be encouraging less trucks, SUVs and low MPG minivans on the road, not more just because the MPG rating has improved a little bit since the 90s

yeah, the program is a bit suspect. they should be encouraging less trucks, SUVs and low MPG minivans on the road, not more just because the MPG rating has improved a little bit since the 90s

"they" shouldnt be encourageing nor discouraging anything whatsoever.

"They" should fully support whatever auto market that fits the needs and desires of American families.

period

Archived