Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Snyder Stations May Face Sports Talk Competition (WJFK Switch??)

OU_skins

I never start threads because the OPs always get blasted on here for some reason, but i searched for this and didn't find anything so whatever. I thought some of you would be interested...I personally hate this because I love the mid-day show on JFK and listen to it because they talk sports when its worth being talked about...Whereas 980 talks sports all day and I get sick of it after about 20 minutes. Big-O and Dukes is awesome and I would hate to see them go.

Here's the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/09/AR2009060902997.html

They also say that "CBS has been talking with former Redskin LaVar Arrington and Washington Post sports columnist UnWise Mike about hosting daily programs."

There were murmurs that JFK was also talking to Tony Kornheiser but I'm not sure about that anymore, the news about Mr. Tony has been pretty quiet since he left MNF.

I would support a WJFK format change though, enough of this sports talk monopoly around here

Lavar was horrible on the Comcast post game show. Absolutely as dull and boring as they come. Chic tried hard to get him to be interesting but it just didnt work.

Kornheiser sucked so bad on MNF that I actually avoided it b/c he was so annoying. He is great on PTI and I love his columns... at least he finally gave it up.

Its strange because if you listen to Big O and Dukes they're always talking about how they've been getting really good ratings lately...I wouldn't mind someone replacing Mike Omeara in the afternoon but O & D is really entertaining

Well, I know one person doesn't make a difference, but if they flip formats and get rid of O & D then they'll at least lose one listener. The only reason I don't regularly listen to my downloaded songs anymore like I previously did was because I became big fans of Big O and Dukes and to a lesser extent the Junkies and Mike O'Mera. If they flip formats I will cross my fingers that CBS bombs so I can have a laugh at them ditching a great, great mid day show. I'll be spending my time podcasting and listening to their show wherever they end up getting on the air at rather than listening to yet another boring sports talk station.

I agree with you Z that Big O and Dukes is awesome. I started listening to the station because of The Junkies. Big O and Dukes has quickly become my favorite show. Those guys have five hours to fill and that never seems to be enough. It would be such a bummer if they were replaced by LaVar and UnWise Mike. You only need one station talking about the same 2 or 3 topics for 12 hours a day. I would still listen to The Junkies but I would hope that Big O and Dukes gets hired somewhere quickly so I could stream them

LaVar Arrington's show would be canceled within a few months. He speaks way too slowly, and is as dull as anyone I've seen on TV. I'd love it if the Junkies returned to being "The Sports Junkies"

I agree. Does anyone else think that Lurch from the Junx knows more about sports than 80% of the guys on ESPN 980? I do.

Im also a fan of Big O and Dukes, but i rarely get to listen to them as the online stream is blocked at work.

Mike Omeara's show is the dullest, unfunniest **** on the radio.

We need a second sports-talker around here. Need.

If WJFK is gonna go down that road, it needs to:

A) Keep the Junks, but not necessarily in the morning. I think they'd do better in the afternoon rush hour slot, and would be open to it, even if there's slightly less pay.

B) Put Riggo in a multi-host format. I still think Riggo has a lot of radio potential. But putting him in charge with a couple of typical radio underlings won't work. It's gotta be more of an equal balance - like what the Junks have, actually.

C) Make an honest effort to look around the area for some undiscovered guys who could be on at night. Seriously, I can name several people off the top of my own head who are local sports geeky and have the kind of big personalities that work well on radio. Does that mean they're an instant fit? Of course not. But sports radio around here seems so stale, and so un-knowledgeable of actual important goings-on locally, that I feel that giving a shot to some up-and-comers who knew what they were talking about could really fill the void.

Archived