Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My favorite quote from Chris Horton.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

“I got one thing on my mind, and that’s to make this team however I can,” he said. “Nothing’s guaranteed. I look at it like I got to go out every day and I gotta perform.”

I'm curious to know... do many of you all think that Laron Landry sees himself as this quote or that he perceives himself as the exact opposite?

What would many say if Landry infact did become rebellious and he was subjected to a trade?

That Horton quote reminds me so much of B Dawk.

I know, I know! A ****ing Eagle? PG are you serious?

Well, yeah. Dawkins has been quoted numerous times in the past to go out each and every off season and train like he had to earn his job. It was not given to him because he was a veteran. He had to fight harder than the next guy because any given day you can lose your job to someone who may want it more.

That type of attitude is good for the NFL. And for competition. You can only like a guy like that.

Well, yeah. Dawkins has been quoted numerous times in the past to go out each and every off season and train like he had to earn his job. It was not given to him because he was a veteran. He had to fight harder than the next guy because any given day you can lose your job to someone who may want it more.

That type of attitude is good for the NFL. And for competition. You can only like a guy like that.

Which reminds me, which round was Dawkins drafted in because you seem to only find these quotes coming from players with chips on their shoulders.

Yeah, Chris Horton is the man, and I've been impressed with him since he made some plays in preseason last year. He'll be a great Redskins for a long time.

But the situation is different, since Horton has competition with Doughty and Moore. He'll most likely start (it'll be a big surprise if he doesn't, imo), but the competition is closer for SS than FS. The reality is, Landry can have the attitude of not coming to OTAs and still keep his job with no problem. If Horton took OTAs off, especially since he's only in his second year, he could end up behind enough to draw competition at SS closer.

“I got one thing on my mind, and that’s to make this team however I can,” he said. “Nothing’s guaranteed. I look at it like I got to go out every day and I gotta perform.”

I'm curious to know... do many of you all think that Laron Landry sees himself as this quote or that he perceives himself as the exact opposite?

So Landy would say "I got one thing on my mind, and that's not to make this team however I can," "Everything's guaranteed. I look at it like i don't have to go out every day and don't have to perform" ???

Horton was a 7th round pick who even the coaches admit, has tough competition from Kareem Moore in camp to see the field, as well as returning SS Doughty who while not as athletic as either Moore/Horton, knows the playbook and can play the run moderately.

Landry is one the premiere safeties to come out of NCAA football since arguably Sean Taylor and was taken in the top 10 overall.

Of course their attitudes are going to be slightly different considering how value they actually bring to the table- Landry is elite in his skill set, and Horton, as good as he was last year for a rookie, is still proving himself and has to work hard to compensate for his shortcomings.

That all being said, this is a perfect thread to show how overblown the Landry thing really is.

What would many say if Landry infact did become rebellious and he was subjected to a trade?

I don't think Laron sees himself that way. And why should he? He was the sixth overall pick!!! He has so much athletic ability in his pinky. Would I like him to have that attitude? In a perfect world...yes. But he has gotten to where he is by working hard. He really doesn't have to prove MUCH at this point. He just needs to improve.

Do you think even stand up guys like Fletcher have this attitude? No. Horton NEEDS to have this attitude because he was a late round pick. He has played great for us, but when you are more limited athleticlly and have been passed over by every time for 6 rounds, you need to have that attitude if you want to stay aflout. He got in last year because of an injury, not because he was exactly a standout in camp or anything like that.

I'm sure Landry will come when mandatory. And I hope that Horton continues to have that attitude and progress.

IF Landry was playing at #21's level I MIGHT be able to overlook it, but to be honest he's not even close. Why is it alright for a "star" like him to miss while our other stars are busting their butts?

So you didn't mind when Taylor missed VOLUNTARY team activities BEFORE he was playing at such a high level? He did the same thing when he was DECLINING before he started to get REALLY good.

You mean a Bronco? ;)

I love Horton's attitude. He's got heart, passion, and determination.

Which begs the question: Which of our safeties has the better season?

Probably Landry. He gets asked to do the most in the coverage schemes, and people also need to remember, last year was his first full season playing FS for us and he was hampered somewhat by his hamstring in the beginning...he'll only improve this year.

Probably Landry. He gets asked to do the most in the coverage schemes, and people also need to remember, last year was his first full season playing FS for us and he was hampered somewhat by his hamstring in the beginning...he'll only improve this year.

I agree and like some have said, I would not read too much into Landry missing OTA's at this point. D-30 will be one of the elite safeties in the NFL.

Horton should maintain as well and with Doughty and Moore in the fold as depth, I think that this will be our strongest, collective unit.

IF Landry was playing at #21's level I MIGHT be able to overlook it, but to be honest he's not even close. Why is it alright for a "star" like him to miss while our other stars are busting their butts?

Voluntary workouts really aren't that big of a deal. A lot of players around the league do not attend and do just fine. Sean Springs and Sean Taylor come to mind. If he thinks it will be better for him, Landry can choose to workout on his own with his own trainer. As long as he comes to camp in shape and ready to go it is a non-issue.

Horton was a nice story last season to be a late rounder and earn a starting spot...not that hard when all you have to do is beat out Doughty though. I like how Horton plays and his attitude...but he has to work on coverage.

When Landry is covering well, shutting down part of the field, and making good tackles/hits to stop a 3rd down conversion we'll forget all about it. I know I will.

I hope that Orakpo will work out for us, but that sentiment is another reason why I wanted Michael Oher. He loves football and from what he said after he got drafted you knew that he was going to do everything in his power to be a star.

Landry is not NEAR this list.

Ed Reed

Troy Polamalu

Bob Sanders

Adrian Wilson

Brian Dawkins maybe even his replacement Quintin Mikell.

Nick Collins

Kerry Rhodes

If Harrison signs with a team this year he is easily still in the mix.

Does LaRon have potential? yes.

But he is only a big time safety in the eyes of Redskins fans.

He has a ways to go before being mentioned in the same sentence as the fellas I listed above.

I think Horton could end up on "The list" before Landry.

IMHO

Who knows, maybe Big Al pushes them BOTH to the next level this season!

GO SKINS!

i hope chris horton starts and gets to be 1337 soon, and with that mentality i think he has a great potential. talent only goes so far, the rest is hard work.

pardon me for asking, but doughty... is that dude any good, what are his strengths and weaknesses? didnt he just come back from a back injury or some other serious injury?

Archived