Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

True or False: Landry's Maturity is becoming an issue

SMOSS89

I was actually going to post this before the ESPN trade rumor thing, but I guess now it's even more a thing now that the 'speculation' is out there.

I'm not sure on this one. Sometimes I can't tell if he just wants to get away or he is being a baby. I don't know what he wants, his contract is something like top 5 for safeties in the NFL, and he hasn't gone to a pro bowl so he doesn't exactly deserve a raise.

Thoughts?

If had to to venture to guess, I would say False. I think Landry just feels voluntary means voluntary. He will be there when he has to be. That might just be who he is. I think people get to upset about it. He's not one of my concerns.

If we were to trade him hypothetically. I say Landry for Boldin straight up. That way Moore takes Landry's spot and Boldin and Moss reek havoc.

Ive lost the ferver I had for Landry. I think he is good, but not as good as his reputation makes him out to be. Other people can give us the production Landry has. I am one of the few that think we should trade him while we can. We missed out on trading Betts while he had value.... we absolutely missed that boat. Striking while the iron is hot is important.

I say make an example. Trade him or cut him. The guy not only does not want to be a team player he also does not show up for the fans when he is scheduled to. He might have some talent but he needs to grow up. I for one am not a Landry fan!

It's not an issue for now. Will it keep him from being an elite player? perhaps...

Allen Iverson said "It's just practice!" I know it's a different sport, but there are similarities...AI was super-talented when he said that but has he ever won anything?

Champions know what's important and what's not. Building communication and bonds between teammates during OTAs is important. It says that he values himself over the team. Is that immature? Yes... is it becoming an issue? probably not unless everyone else MAKES it an issue and it bothers Landry.

It obviously is to the coaches...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/06/05/redskins-uphappy-with-landrys-absence/

Redskins uphappy with S Landry’s absence

Posted: June 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

S LaRon Landry was the only Redskins player absent from the team’s voluntary workouts on Wednesday and he has missed seven OTAs already this year, leading to grumblings among the team’s coaching staff.

Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson voiced his displeasure to the Washington Examiner:

“I’m very disappointed because everyone else is here. I’ll be candid with you: He has to be here in the offseason not so much just because it’s OTAs, but his teammates are here and there are a lot of things we’re discussing that he’s a part of that he has no idea are even going on — calls, coverages, techniques.

“He’s our free safety and he’s the one who has to get the ball rolling.

Landry, the sixth overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, has started all 32 games for the Redskins in his first two seasons. He was a 2007 Pro Bowl alternate selection and was selected to the 2007 NFL All-Rookie Defensive Team.

Ok, so he has missed OTA's since he has been here... that doesnt mean its ok to miss them, it just means he has taken the lazy way out since he has been here while the rest of the TEAM is putting the effort in... and thats what is really irking me, and maybe others... its the lack of effort, his lack of caring that the rest of the team is here... his lack of caring in general, exemplified when he doesnt show up to obligations. Its just half assed and lazy in my opinion, and for a #6 over all pick, I guess I expected someone with more ferver for the game.

For that reason I would have no trouble trading him. Thats just my opinion though and I know it means absolutely nothing, no need to crucify me for thinking that way. :)

He reminds me much of Sean Taylor, not necessarily in athletic types and their exact roles on the team if you will, but in their demeanor and how they established themselves. Both established themselves as feared hitters who didn't force a lot of turnovers at first. Taylor did not really start to emerge as a threat to pick off passes until his third year and many were perplexed at his lack of interceptions in his second year because they saw his athletic ability and intensity and knew he was capable of it but could not figure out why the numbers weren't there.

If you'll remember, Taylor was also frustratingly quiet when it came to the media and avoided it almost at all costs. He was a leader among his teammates but stayed away from the media and was at times misconstrued as an immature young man by many because of that, or even a disruption. His teammates and coaches have dismissed any of that confusion, at least to all of us. He also chose not to be here for offseason workouts, even to the public disappointment of Joe Gibbs and many of us were frustrated with that as well until his last offseason I believe he finally stayed here for workouts. The same has held true for Landry. I'm not saying that Landry will emerge much like Taylor did and improve as drastically as Taylor did in his third year (despite the fact that he was becoming an impressive overall player in his second year) in every way possible (i.e. just an understanding, respect and ability to play the game the way it was meant to be played imo). But they are strikingly similar in personalities.

I'm not concerned at all. He really fits in with this team and the players like him, I'm sure the coaches, teammates and obviously us would prefer him there but I'm not overly upset, maybe just a bit disappointed in his absence. At this point, it's more just a concept or two and maybe some team chemistry he's missing out on (which is the most frustrating because it's such a young DB group that he could gel with) but I'm sure it's going to turn out just fine.

It obviously is to the coaches...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/06/05/redskins-uphappy-with-landrys-absence/

Redskins uphappy with S Landry’s absence

Posted: June 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins

S LaRon Landry was the only Redskins player absent from the team’s voluntary workouts on Wednesday and he has missed seven OTAs already this year, leading to grumblings among the team’s coaching staff.

Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson voiced his displeasure to the Washington Examiner:

“I’m very disappointed because everyone else is here. I’ll be candid with you: He has to be here in the offseason not so much just because it’s OTAs, but his teammates are here and there are a lot of things we’re discussing that he’s a part of that he has no idea are even going on — calls, coverages, techniques.

“He’s our free safety and he’s the one who has to get the ball rolling.

Landry, the sixth overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, has started all 32 games for the Redskins in his first two seasons. He was a 2007 Pro Bowl alternate selection and was selected to the 2007 NFL All-Rookie Defensive Team.

Doesn't sound like an issue. They are just dissappointed. What part of voluntary doesn't mean voluntary?

I think his attitude has changed since ST passed. He seemed to play with much more intensity when he was still here. It was like what Sean was doing lifted Landry to another level. And since he passed I think he just hasn't recovered from that. He just doesn't seem to have the passion that he did in his first couple of years.

I'm not sure if that is it, but I have a feeling that has something to do with it.

People forget that these are just OTAs... which are basically just working out and going through the motions.

They can't even hit or block each other in these things.

People also seem to forget that Landry WAS HERE for the mini-camp in May. It is not like he left the day after last season was over and no one has heard from him since.

Folks need to get a grip. Landry will be here come training camp and working with the team.

I said this in another thread:

It is a maturity issue. Not because he's skipping OTA's. But because he's ignoring calls from the coaching staff. People Slammed Cutler for it, but Laron gets a pass? Not from me. You call your boss back. It's common courtesy.

This is true, but Landry is a baller and know his assignments. I would rather him be there, but his work ethic is how he participates when he is there and required to be there.

Thats the whole thing. His posistion coach stated that he will be behind becasue he does not know his assignments that may change during these workouts.

Archived