Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Coach John Palermo Talks Haynesworth, Orakpo, Versatility

Zhouse

Back to the defensive side of the ball, as I continue talking to the coaching staff around Redskins Park. (In case you missed them, here are offensive assistant Chris Meidt, safeties coach Steve Jackson, and tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim.)

Defensive line coach John Palermo took over coaching the defensive line for the Redskins last year after thirty decorated years coaching in the college ranks. He spent the offseason getting prepared to work with his group of lineman ... only to have two of them go down at the same position on the first day of training camp, leading directly to the ill-fated trade for Jason Taylor.

I talked to Coach Palermo about making that transition, about working with this year's new acquisition, Albert Haynesworth, about rookie draft pick Brian Orakpo, and about the sudden premium being placed on versatility along the defensive line, which I started by describing as "arguably the deepest position group on the team."

Palermo thought that was understating the matter.

"I don't there's any argument to it," he said. "We do have a pretty deep group, with the addition of Albert Haynesworth at the tackle position. That leaves us with [Cornelius Griffin, as the other starter], with [Anthony] Montgomery and [Kedric] Golston, as well as the capabilities of Lorenzo [Alexander] being able to play end and tackle and also Philip [Daniels] being able to play end and tackle. So I think it does give us a group that's pretty deep and talented."

How do you fit all of those guys into the lineup?

Palermo: "I think what we've gotta be able to do is we've gotta be smart in how we substitute, and I think what this allows us to do is to keep some players fresh.

"I know a big burden was on Andre [Carter]'s shoulders a year ago because he had to play 60 or 65 snaps a game, and that's a lot of snaps to play in a football game. If we could get him around 50 and then have Chris Wilson go in there and substitute another 10 or 15 -- whether it be nickel situations or on the run down situations -- I think that could help. I think with the addition of Brian Orakpo, that also will help us. "

Do you know how Orakpo's time is going to be divided?

Palermo: "I think that's still up in the air.

"I think he can play defensive end pretty much on any down. I think it all depends on how we utilize him, how much we play him as a linebacker, how much we play him as a defensive end. I think all those scenarios are still up in the air.

"I mean, when it's all said and done Brian and Andre could be the starting two ends. I just don't know how that's all going to unfold. We'll have to see when we get some of our players back healthy -- like Philip -- to see how he handles it.

"And again a lot of that -- as you well know, going back to a year ago -- depends on who can stay healthy. We basically lost Phillip who is 295 pounds and replaced him with a 240 pound guy in Jason Taylor. Brian Orakpo is 265 pounds packed in there strong so really it all depends on how coach Blache wants to utilize those guys in our regular defense, in the nickel, or in some of our other packages.

"Coach Blache is going to basically say, 'regular defense who do you want, nickel who do you want on the field.' Obviously if there's any discrepancies or disagreements there, I'll tell you right now, he has a better chance of winning than I do and there hasn't been that problem.

"I'm sure he'll do the same with [linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti] from the standpoint of who he wants on the field at linebacker. 'Do you want Orakpo at linebacker or do you want so and so at linebacker so we can put Brian at defensive end.'

"There will be a lot of those scenarios right now. We really probably won't settle in on a starting lineup until probably, I'm guessing, a week or two weeks before we open up at the Giants."

Read more at: http://blog.redskins.com/2009/06/04/thursday-june-4-coach-john-palermo-talks-versatility/

Good read! I like how coach Palermo talks about players' progression pretty openly.

I think finding that balance between stopping the run and creating pressure on the QB is what's going to be their (the coaches) biggest task this season. We can all agree we now have the personnel to do both and timing will be critical.

Just think of Lavar Arrington but without the freelancing label to his game.

Like Shawn Merriman

If the defense is all that we make them out to be, Orakpo maybe the Rookie Defensive player of the year. Hopefully

Therefore, it would seem as though a lot of members here overreacted to RAK working out at the LB position.

What a surprise.:rolleyes:

Not really. It's obvious HE wants Orakpo as a DE, but it's not up to him. It's up to Blache.

Meanwhile Orakpo is playing LB most of the time. :silly:

Read more at: http://blog.redskins.com/2009/06/04/thursday-june-4-coach-john-palermo-talks-versatility/

Good read! I like how coach Palermo talks about players' progression pretty openly.

I think finding that balance between stopping the run and creating pressure on the QB is what's going to be their (the coaches) biggest task this season. We can all agree we now have the personnel to do both and timing will be critical.

I like what i'm hearing, but i'll believe when i see it:

Palermo: "I think a lot depends on holes more than it does anything else. I think we're a good fundamental defensive line; we obviously need to get more production as far as pressure and sacks go and I think those will come. I also think that we have to remain a good run defense."

Palermo: "I think on first downs and second downs, depending on down and distance, you do. I think third down is where I've gotta do a better job and where our players've gotta do a better job. On third down we're turning it loose now. We've gotta make things happen and they've got to happen quicker, and I think Albert will help that situation tremendously."

Unleash the hounds!

obviously you guys are reading something else, because that interview with palmero is so vague. hes basically saying that its up in the air right now, they wont know whos playing what until a few weeks before opening kick off. not once on there does he say "brian orakpo will be playing a lot of defensive end". unless i somehow missed it after reading it twice, he sounds very undecided on whats going on.

Do you know how Orakpo's time is going to be divided?

Palermo: "I think that's still up in the air.

"I think he can play defensive end pretty much on any down. I think it all depends on how we utilize him, how much we play him as a linebacker, how much we play him as a defensive end. I think all those scenarios are still up in the air.

translation: anything is possible, im not gonna say anything concrete.

"I mean, when it's all said and done Brian and Andre could be the starting two ends. I just don't know how that's all going to unfold. We'll have to see when we get some of our players back healthy -- like Philip -- to see how he handles it.

I think this is pretty accurate. I believe that is why they are trying Orakpo out at LB. If it works great then you'll see him there a lot (especially 1st and 2nd). If it doesn't work he will be the starter at the other DE spot. Either way it sounds like the coaches want the best group on the field for any given package. I like the idea of having the versatility.

I think this is pretty accurate. I believe that is why they are trying Orakpo out at LB. If it works great then you'll see him there a lot (especially 1st and 2nd). If it doesn't work he will be the starter at the other DE spot. Either way it sounds like the coaches want the best group on the field for any given package. I like the idea of having the versatility.

i dont think anybody is against versatility. i just think its a lot to ask for a rookie DE to start at linebacker in a season where a lot is on the line. if we were some rebuilding team like the raiders or lions and just trying something new, then fine. but were, again, geared up to make a run at the ol superbowl and to go deep into the playoffs. you dont achieve that by taking your first draft pick and switching his defensive position in his first year.

if we wanted a linebacker, we should have traded back and gotten a linebacker and a lineman.

B Loyd Christmas I'm with you on the Orapko case. Palermo knows it's ultimately not up to him.

I thought the interview was great because he mentions 3rd down and how they now feel they have a legitimate D-line to create havoc for the QB. He also lays it out and says Monty, Jackson, Buzbee need to put in work if they plan on getting any play time this year.

If this unit clicks, the D will be an intimidating one because of your solid secondary.

B Loyd Christmas I'm with you on the Orapko case. Palermo knows it's ultimately not up to him.

I thought the interview was great because he mentions 3rd down and how they now feel they have a legitimate D-line to create havoc for the QB. He also lays it out and says Monty, Jackson, Buzbee need to put in work if they plan on getting any play time this year.

If this unit clicks, the D will be an intimidating one because of your solid secondary.

but see, 3rd down isnt enough to make me feel good. teams pass on 1st down a ton. this isnt 1983 where its run run pass. teams throw a ton, especially in our division with the eagles and cowboys. so when phillip daniels is at DE on 1st down, and mcnabb decides to audible and throw, mcnabb is gonna have all day. you double team haynesworth, carter is not a serious threat, we have no other pocket collapsing DTs, and daniels is worthless in pass rushing.

if you have orakpo there on everydown, like andre carter, it becomes much tougher for a QB and RB to make it work. if hes just some one dimensional pass rusher, he should not have been drafted 13th. i feel that hes good enough and big enough to stuff the run just like any other complete DE, and i hope thats what he becomes.

i dont think anybody is against versatility. i just think its a lot to ask for a rookie DE to start at linebacker in a season where a lot is on the line. if we were some rebuilding team like the raiders or lions and just trying something new, then fine. but were, again, geared up to make a run at the ol superbowl and to go deep into the playoffs. you dont achieve that by taking your first draft pick and switching his defensive position in his first year.

if we wanted a linebacker, we should have traded back and gotten a linebacker and a lineman.

It's only a lot to ask a rookie to change positions if they can't handle it. What if he can? I'm sure if he stinks up the place they won't keep him there. If he is the legit pass rusher we all believe he is then it won't be difficult to move him back to line (where he will be taking snaps at anyways).

Prior to the draft scouts had Orakpo as OLB in a 3-4 and a DE in a 4-3. So i don't think its such a stretch that he could play SOME OLB in a 4-3. I don't think of him as a LB, I think of him as a standup DE. He won't be the first to make the transition didn't Washington play DE at Auburn?

All in all I feel as though we are debating something that will be a non issue when the season begins. Either 1. He will be a great fit at manning the OLB position OR 2. He can't get it done so they move him as a full time DE.

I think everyone should do themself a favor and trust Blatch. Our defense was very good last year without Haynsworth & Orakpo I'm sure it will be very good this year also.

but see, 3rd down isnt enough to make me feel good. teams pass on 1st down a ton. this isnt 1983 where its run run pass. teams throw a ton, especially in our division with the eagles and cowboys. so when phillip daniels is at DE on 1st down, and mcnabb decides to audible and throw, mcnabb is gonna have all day. you double team haynesworth, carter is not a serious threat, we have no other pocket collapsing DTs, and daniels is worthless in pass rushing.

if you have orakpo there on everydown, like andre carter, it becomes much tougher for a QB and RB to make it work. if hes just some one dimensional pass rusher, he should not have been drafted 13th. i feel that hes good enough and big enough to stuff the run just like any other complete DE, and i hope thats what he becomes.

But who are you gonna play at Sam backer? Chris Wilson? Blades? Bring back Marcus Washington?

I can't say how good or bad Orakpo is playing linebacker. It might be the case that he's the most athletic potential LB we have. And who's to say he's not gonna bring in pressure from the LB position.

All in all the Defense has zero excuses to not be top 5 unit in the league. Great safety depth, young corner with some depth there, okay LB corp and a very nice dominant DT. An upgrade to an already solid unit.

No one can really say anything concrete because camp and preseason games haven't happened yet. You can have some general plans, but until you get some game film on some game situations, you aren't going to really know who is going to end up doing what.

As I said before, nothing to stress over because you don't know which way things will end up going.

Archived