Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Redskins Release Jon Jansen

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

May 29, 2009

REDSKINS RELEASE JON JANSEN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have released tackle Jon Jansen.

“This morning, Coach Zorn, Vinny Cerrato and I met with Jon,” Redskins Owner Daniel M. Snyder said. “I’ve developed a close relationship with Jon and his family over the last 10 years and I have the utmost respect for him as a person and a player. He has been an important part of our organization for the past decade. We wish Jon and his family the very best.”

Jansen originally entered the league as a second-round draft pick of the Redskins in 1999. He played in 126 games, with 123 starts, over the last 10 seasons.

“Decisions like this are difficult, especially with someone like Jon, who has meant a great deal to our organization and community,” Redskins Executive Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato said. “Jon has been a fixture at the right tackle position for the past 10 seasons. He is a tough football player who played through injuries and displayed a great commitment to his teammates and coaches.”

“We really admire Jon and the example that he set as a team leader both on and off the field,” Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn said. “He is a professional who was a valuable part of this franchise for a long time. Jon worked hard, laid it on the line each week and on many occasions played with injuries. Though we have elected to move in another direction, we appreciate Jon’s commitment, leadership and dedication to the Redskins organization.”

“I had a great player-coach relationship with Jon,” Redskins Offensive Line Coach Joe Bugel said. “He is one of the toughest guys that I have ever coached. He was a great competitor who prepared well for each and every game. We appreciate his commitment to the Redskins and wish him the very best.”

I'll always remember when he played with two casts, and was just clubbing people instead of grabbing them. Epic.

Jansen is one jersey I wish I could have found on discount at the Skins store. I'd rather wear his #, or a Samuels, before taking chances on people who could be gone in 3-4 years.

He and Samuels were the bookends of the o-line for many years together. Jansen was always a guy you knew would give 100% even when he was hurting. He'll be missed for sure. Just can't believe we decided to cut him now. But maybe its better for him that way.

Very saddened by this. True his play had declined but I still think he's better than Heyer. Heyer has to step up big time this season or the Number 17 car is doomed. Wish it could've worked out better for Jon. Good luck to him wouldn't be surprised to see him braodcasting somewhere when he's done playing though I think he'd make one heck of a coach

Very saddened by this. True his play had declined but I still think he's better than Heyer. Heyer has to step up big time this season or the Number 17 car is doomed. Wish it could've worked out better for Jon. Good luck to him wouldn't be surprised to see him braodcasting somewhere when he's done playing though I think he'd make one heck of a coach

Can you say Mike Williams?

And that just goes to show you that some people will buy any damn thing.:silly:

Whoa -- is it an Admirals jersey? That's worth major coin. ;)

But seriously, somebody make some sense out of this Jansen mess. How much did the Skins save? Isn't he still a serviceable backup? Is the roster spot that valuable? I thought he'd be around another year, and haven't seen a real good reason for his leaving this season other than Zorn didn't trust him.

Edit: From the Examiner...

"As we watched minicamp and [organized team activities]," Zorn said, "it became evident for me and talking with [line coach] Joe Bugel and [offensive coordinator] Sherman Lewis that it was best to take him out of the mix. And I couldn’t come to grips with him backing up [other positions] and taking away reps from younger guys.

Sounds like Zorn thought Jansen would be a cancer if he stuck around not starting. Seriously, who is the roster spot going to in Zorn's mind? A young lineman? When did the Skins become that long term in their thinking? Still don't get it quite yet.

holy crap..

im in disbelief, running around work finding all the skins fans to break the news to..

• Doesnt it cost more to cut him then to keep him?

• Don't we desperately need help at RT?

• Shouldnt we have waited until after OTA's?

hard to believe....

He'll go down as a very solid draft pick and player. More or less an above average to good RT for 10 years? Most teams will take that. Having said that, his play has clearly declined and I think the Redskins made the correct decision here.

Archived