Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gas Grill options

Warpath11

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a nice/sturdy gas grill (I know, I know charcoal is the best but I have a natural gas conncetion from the main gas line). I know about Weber and it is what I had before but I am sure there are others out there I should consider. The budget I have is between $800-$1200 obviously the less the better. Thanks in advance.

Isn't there a difference between grills that use LP versus natural gas? The LP ones are much more common I think.

LP = propane. Propane = tank. Never heard of a natural gas (NG) grill before. Looked it up, though, and found this: http://www.webergasgrills.com/item_name_Weber-Gas-Grills-Genesis-S-310-Natural-Gas-Grill_path_7165-11398_item_1852724.html

Ok so when I say natural gas I mean I have a connection from our house gas line to the grill meaning the same gas (if you have a gas stove) that lights up your stove in the house will light up my grill outside. Most manufacturers have the option of either type of gas (propane vs natural gas).

Actually Im in the same boat except Im looking for propane. I am also a cheapskate and only want to spend $200 at most. Is this hi-jacking the thread even though my question is along the same lines? If it is, let me know and I will remove. Dont want to steal anyone's thunder!

FYI: There are only 2 of us so I do not need anything huge. Just something functional that is not a complete piece of junk.

Natural gas grills,whether converted,(just a relatively quick kit conversion), or made that way are big out here. I see the cheap and the expensive ones. Same as a lot of things,you get what you pay for. Cheaper ones the igniter tends to go pretty fast and there is of course,the burners and such. Good site dealing with grills.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/gasgrills/a/aa111597a.htm

I was watching the local news a few weeks ago,and they were at a family owned business that dealt with grills and smokers. That's it. All they did. Been around for who knows how long. Might check to see if there's a couple of places like that around as well.

Actually Im in the same boat except Im looking for propane. I am also a cheapskate and only want to spend $200 at most. Is this hi-jacking the thread even though my question is along the same lines? If it is, let me know and I will remove. Dont want to steal anyone's thunder!

FYI: There are only 2 of us so I do not need anything huge. Just something functional that is not a complete piece of junk.

Very cheap, but decent grill is the Fiesta brand.

I have a Brinkman that has a kit to connect to either. It was on sale at Home Depot for 450 down from 800. Real nice with burners that work as good as the stove and all kinds of surfaces to put stuff on. Has a ceramic side rotisserie burner and motor that does a chicken

This is it

GPO-8905-S.gif

Looks pretty good how is the construction? are the grates that coated plastic or are they stainless/cast iron? I've seen some Brinkmanns and they seem pretty light duty in terms of construction from the grates to the body and lid (some had plastic lids even).

I'v had my Brinkmann for over six years now. It works great and have no problems minus the starter switch. I've had friends and family spend hundreds of dollars more on grills and they don't perform any better because in the end they all do the same thing.

Well, I got a Char-Broil Commercial Series that I bought a Lowes for $399 last year. I love it. It is very sturdy and it has ceramic coated, cast-iron grates. They are great because the food never sticks and they will never rust. It also has 4 burners in grill, and one burner on the side (only time I used the side burner was to make smores). Cleaning the grill is the only negative I have because it could be a tad easier, but I waited a year to do it.

pretty much any place that sells a BBQ, will sell the propane version and the natural gas version of the BBQ. (the difference is in the burners, different size holes since propane & NG burn at different rates).

The natural gas burning ones cost on average $50-$100 more than the price you see advertised (which is the propane burner price).

I ended up buying a propane one, but am thinking about switching to gas this summer since the cost for natural gas is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying propane tanks or even just filling them up. My buddy switched his and said his gas bill only went up about $7/month in the summer, and never had to hunt around for a gas station that had an attendant who could fill a tank on the Sunday or Monday of a long weekend.

EDIT: stay away from the cheap BBQ's with a side burner, the design is almost always flawed. You can tell a good one with a side burner if the element is recessed slightly into the side shelf it is on. I had a cheap one with a side burner, but the flames where exposed to the air, you could actually see them and burn yourself if you where not careful, but whenever a stiff breeze blew by, the burner would go out and you would be left pumping propane out of the burner.

I've got this bad boy right here:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=66653-451-463741209&lpage=none

Nothing special, you can get it for under $150 but it gets the job done. Just a solid Char-Broil grill. Uses LP, I've been using it once to three times a week for about 10 months now and I'm only on my 2nd propane tank. If you're just looking for something simple that will get the job done I recommend it.

Eventually I'd like to get one with all of the bells and whistles but I have no complaints about this one.

Looks pretty good how is the construction? are the grates that coated plastic or are they stainless/cast iron? I've seen some Brinkmanns and they seem pretty light duty in terms of construction from the grates to the body and lid (some had plastic lids even).

It's actually Charmglow which is Brinkmann's upscale brand. Very sturdy with ss grates that aren't coated. Everything is metal on it, even the knobs. I've had it for about a year now, I grill at least twice a week, and it's still in really good shape. The ignitor works better than any gas grill I've seen and the rotissarie in particular is a wonderful feature. It really works and some of them I've seen where just for show it seemed. All in all very happy with it.

See the only reason I would not buy a grill like that is because I know I would end up using one and not the other. It would either be the gas for convenience or the charcoal for taste. Either way only half of my grill would get used!

See the only reason I would not buy a grill like that is because I know I would end up using one and not the other. It would either be the gas for convenience or the charcoal for taste. Either way only half of my grill would get used!

I'd ideally use nothing but charcoal, but there are evenings when a steak on the grill sounds awesome and it'd be much easier to just hit an ignite button.

I was thinking there may even be scenarios where you'd use both parts, like searing a steak with the gas grill and throwing them on the charcoal. Throwing corn on the cob on the gas while cooking chicken on the charcoal, etc.

I know that you said no charcoal but...

If you are going to spend that kind of $, you ought to get one of these:

big-green-egg.jpg

The lump charcoal heats as quickly as a gas grill and the performance is second to none. When I got mine, I kept my Weber because I thought I would still use it when I was in a hurry. Well it's been over a year and the Weber is just sitting there, the only thing that I use it for is storing my wood chips.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

You will not be disappointed.

Archived