Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline: Michael Lombardi, Diner News: Trade Bait

terpskins10

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11750285

click link for full article

If I were working for the Redskins, I would call Jacksonville about the availability of right offensive tackle Tony Pashos.

The Redskins' offensive line is a mess. It's old and injury prone, making the prospect of a successful 2009 season seem unlikely. Worse, there are no signs of finding reinforcements in the preseason. Jacksonville signed former Eagle Tra Thomas this offseason to be the starter at left tackle, then drafted two more tackles in the first two rounds -- Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. They now have three tackles besides Pashos who are locks to make the team.

Even though Pashos has been a starter, he does have limitations in his athletic ability and the type of protection schemes the offense must run. Were this the Redskins' offense of old under Joe Gibbs featuring mostly slide protection, Pashos would fit perfectly. Pashos is the kind of player that 'Skins offensive line guru Joe Bugel would love -- tough, gritty, hard working and willing to do whatever he needs to be successful. The 'Skins can't feel that current right tackle Jon Jansen can play in all 16 games from an injury and performance standpoint. They must find an alternative, and I doubt it will be former Buffalo Bills first rounder Mike Williams of Texas.

He brings about a good point. Pashos was a coveted FA acquisition a couple seasons ago, is still young, and could be a productive stop gap for a late round pick. Now, I more than anyone hate trading away picks for players and not building through the draft, but I would have to imagine he's a better option than Williams, Jansen, Heyer, or Bridges.

Thoughts?

Lombardi is an idiot. He makes Peter King look informed.

Apparently we aren't worried at RT right now and won't know how good/bad the situation really is until camp starts. I wouldn't expect any moves, if any, until June.

Why is he an idiot? He is saying IF HE WERE THE GM. It is an opinion and nothing more. Whether you agree or not doesn't make him an idiot.

I wouldn't expect any more moves, but I think the number of moves we've made shows some concern. We've added two potential guys to compete for the spot this offseason. And we've already got Heyer, Jansen and Fabini on the roster.

I wonder if there are enough snaps to get a look at all these guys in training camp.

But I think we got our 'alternative' in the dude from Carolina. I'd think that if Heyer isn't the starter, that this guy'd be the lock to win the job (with Mike Williams as a prayer and Jansen with little chance of earning the starting job).

EDIT: The guy I was thinking about was Jeremy Bridges. I think he's the backup plan to Heyer (before Jansen, with Williams as a prayer).

Lombardi is an idiot. He makes Peter King look informed.

Apparently we aren't worried at RT right now and won't know how good/bad the situation really is until camp starts. I wouldn't expect any moves, if any, until June.

well said, he is an idiot.

I'd wait at leas until the preseason. Lets see what we have with the FAs we got. If things don't look good then maybe we can trade for him. But I rather see if he gets released or just stick with what we have. Althogh if we can get him for a 6th or 7th round pick then I don't mind getting him now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11750285

click link for full article

If I were working for the Redskins, I would call Jacksonville about the availability of right offensive tackle Tony Pashos.

The Redskins' offensive line is a mess. It's old and injury prone, making the prospect of a successful 2009 season seem unlikely. Worse, there are no signs of finding reinforcements in the preseason. Jacksonville signed former Eagle Tra Thomas this offseason to be the starter at left tackle, then drafted two more tackles in the first two rounds -- Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. They now have three tackles besides Pashos who are locks to make the team.

Even though Pashos has been a starter, he does have limitations in his athletic ability and the type of protection schemes the offense must run. Were this the Redskins' offense of old under Joe Gibbs featuring mostly slide protection, Pashos would fit perfectly. Pashos is the kind of player that 'Skins offensive line guru Joe Bugel would love -- tough, gritty, hard working and willing to do whatever he needs to be successful. The 'Skins can't feel that current right tackle Jon Jansen can play in all 16 games from an injury and performance standpoint. They must find an alternative, and I doubt it will be former Buffalo Bills first rounder Mike Williams of Texas.

He brings about a good point. Pashos was a coveted FA acquisition a couple seasons ago, is still young, and could be a productive stop gap for a late round pick. Now, I more than anyone hate trading away picks for players and not building through the draft, but I would have to imagine he's a better option than Williams, Jansen, Heyer, or Bridges.

Thoughts?

So he thinks we should trade for a player who is a perfect fir for a system we used to run? Wow, I wonder why the Raiders found him useless in the front office..

So he thinks we should trade for a player who is a perfect fir for a system we used to run? Wow, I wonder why the Raiders found him useless in the front office..

Exaclty what I was thinking as I read this. Does this guy read what he writes?

Why is he an idiot? He is saying IF HE WERE THE GM. It is an opinion and nothing more. Whether you agree or not doesn't make him an idiot.

Let me help. Here's why he is an idiot.

By his own words he is saying that the guy has "physical limitations in his athletic ability".

He thinks the Skins should be trading for a guy who is LIMITED physically. WoW! And apparently Lombardi thinks that Jansen is the starting right tackle when he has been working at Center and guard also in camp. Lombardi has no idea that Heyer even exists. In his world there is nobody on the Redskins roster named Heyer. I doubt he has researched the Skins current line situation at all because he fails to note that Chris Samuels went to the Pro Bowl and we shored up left guard with Dockery. He just proclaims the whole line is a "MESS".

Thats why he is an idiot.

I've seen Pashos play. He's not better than Heyer. No way we'd want that guy. There's a reason the Jags went tackle heavy. Pashos can't perform. There's a reason we didn't go tackle heavy. Heyer CAN and with Jansen likely to be a little stronger than last year, the key is more whether Samuels is healthy as he makes our line quite good, or quite bad, depending on his level of health.

The Redskins' offensive line is a mess. It's old and injury prone, making the prospect of a successful 2009 season seem unlikely.

This is how I see it too. With the Offensive Line were no better then 8-8 this year.

Worse, there are no signs of finding reinforcements in the preseason. Jacksonville signed former Eagle Tra Thomas this offseason to be the starter at left tackle, then drafted two more tackles in the first two rounds -- Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. They now have three tackles besides Pashos who are locks to make the team.

Even though Pashos has been a starter, he does have limitations in his athletic ability and the type of protection schemes the offense must run. Were this the Redskins' offense of old under Joe Gibbs featuring mostly slide protection, Pashos would fit perfectly. Pashos is the kind of player that 'Skins offensive line guru Joe Bugel would love -- tough, gritty, hard working and willing to do whatever he needs to be successful.

Wait he just says there isn't anyone out there to bring in then mentions another player who would be "perfect"...I can see why so many of you think this guys an idiot....

The 'Skins can't feel that current right tackle Jon Jansen can play in all 16 games from an injury and performance standpoint. They must find an alternative, and I doubt it will be former Buffalo Bills first rounder Mike Williams of Texas.

I completely agree. To think that a guy like Jansens suddenly going to have a resuragence in his washed up career makes no sense. To think a guy who didn't play for 4 years is the answer is crazy. Lets try and base the fans opinion in reality...neither guy is worth a damn or the answer

Thoughts?

Late rounder? He'd cost us at least a 3rd probably second. He's not the answer so I say pass. Yes I say pass because he's not an upgrade and if we are smart could draft a younger guy next season. We just need to have our expectations low this season

Some of you are vastly overstating problems on the offensive line. The bulk of which showed up when Samuels was hurt. Samuels has to be pretty healthy, no question about that, but no one who has a Top 5 tackle has another in reserve if that tackle gets hurt. Assuming Samuels is healthy, we're actually an excellent offensive line, even if Heyer can't emerge or if Jansen doesn't get stronger. You can elminate such a problem. If the left side is hurt, we'll have a lot of difficulty.

Thomas is still quite an effective player, who'll be even better this year, the second after his injury, though he played pretty well last year, despite not being totally full strength. Heyer is the key to being a top line and a good one, assuming health at left tackle. If he develops, we're a well put together group at least in terms of starters.

In reply to my earlier post, here are some remarks I saw at a panthers message board:

I checked that other thread but not much detail about the kind of player he is.Good pass blocker? Good run blocker?seems like he was good depth for you guys the past few years. but I don't know anything really about him.

I liked Bridges myself, and I am a bit of an O-Line buff. He filled in very well for us and provided great depth. Good veteran player who can do a little bit of everything. Wouldn't say he is great at any one technique or skill, but he can get the job done and has decent size and pretty good feet.

He seemed to be a great team player. When he was on the field and the offense scored, he would always be downfield to congratulate the scorer. He seemed to give all he could on every play (that SHOULD be expected in the sport but...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridges is a good back-up and can be decent as a starter. One of his main selling points is that he possesses the versatility to play either guard or tackle. Solid is the best way to describe him. He won't dominate but he can hold his own. If he was signed for depth or as a stop-gap starter, then I'd say it was a nice pick up.
He's a starting caliber player. He's not a pro-bowl level guy but he can start if you have no one better. I think he is best suited for RG myself, but can play RT. He was a solid backup here and starter when injuries occurred. If he can keep his name off the police blotter, its likely a good pickup for the skins.
I liked Jeremy Bridges. In fact, prior to him being an idiot and getting himself into trouble, he was one of my favorite players on the team.

With that said, he was a breath of fresh air when he was signed. He was brought in during the season and turned out to be a very good pickup. On the field, he is a great teammate and was always the first person to congratulate someone on the team who scores.

He can be a solid starter in the league, but never a star at his position. He is quite versatile though.

So I'm not overly excited about this guy Bridges, but I think hes probably a better player than Pashos. And since we didn't have to give anything up for Bridges, maybe its a cool thing that got him instead.

Renegade... He's not getting under 275. :)

Our OL problems are slightly overstated, just as our QB issues are overstated. We have problems in both places. However, Pashos isn't a guy that we need or should even want. The guy simply doesn't fit our system or the mold of the guy we need.

Pass on Pashos, I'd rather roll with Heyer.

Just figured it'd be good to speak of stats in this discussion.

Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3 sacks allowed for 29.5 yards (12 games)

- He also had 5 penalties for 35 yards (1 false start, 4 holdings)

Derrick Dockery (Redskins) 8.25 sacks allowed for 43.75 yards (16 games)

- He also had 5 penalties for 40 yards (2 false starts, 2 holdings)

Casey Rabach (Redskins) 5.5 sacks allowed 47.5 yards (16 starts)

- He also had 3 penalties for 25 yards (0 false starts, 2 holdings)

Randy Thomas (Redskins) 4.0 sacks allowed for 29 yards (16 starts)

- He also had 1 penalty for 15 yards.

Jon Jansen (Redskins) 6.5 sacks allowed for 18.5 yards (11 starts)

- He also had 6 penalties for 33 yards (4 false starts, 1 holding)

Stephon Heyer (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed for 16.5 yards (9 games)

- He also had 6 penalties for 44 yards (3 false starts, 1 holding)

Jeremy Bridges (Redskins) 0.0 sacks allowed for 0.0 yards (4 games)

- He also had 1 penalty for 5 yards.

Devin Clark (Redskins) 0.0 sacks allowed for 0.0 yards (2 games)

- He also had 0 penalties for 0 yards.

Pete Kendall (Former Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)

I couldn't find the info on Jason Fabini.

Oh, and here's the info on Tony Pashos

Tony Pashos (Jaguars) 5.5 sacks allowed for 42 yards (16 starts)

- He also had 10 penalties for 85 yards (3 false starts, 6 holdings).

I'm also in the camp that believes our OL problems are greatly over exaggerated. We've got some issues to address but even with our 'old, injury prone' line and 'QB issues' we were a few defensive breakdowns (Fletcher dropped INT and Torrence giving up big pass on 3rd down within last 1:45 both in the Rams game, 17 points on 1st 3 possessions and allowing a 16 play 9 minute drive in the 4th quarter in the Cincy game) from being a 10 win playoff team.

I'm fine with letting Heyer, Jansen, Bridges, Williams fight it out in camp. There's not that many reps to add any more bodies to the competition.

Thomas is still quite an effective player, who'll be even better this year, the second after his injury, though he played pretty well last year, despite not being totally full strength. Heyer is the key to being a top line and a good one, assuming health at left tackle. If he develops, we're a well put together group at least in terms of starters.

I think Thomas is being overly dis'd here lately Art, he is a good solid player, and what exactly is the effect on the tackles of having two good/decent guards vs. last year?

Archived