Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Ravens, Washington agree to deal

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4164793

Click link for entire article

Ravens, Washington agree to deal

By Len Pasquarelli

The Baltimore Ravens have reached agreement with unrestricted free-agent wide receiver Kelley Washington, who auditioned for the team at last weekend's minicamp.

Terms of the agreement, confirmed by sources close to the team and to Washington, were not yet available. Washington will officially sign the contract by next Monday, after he passes a physical exam, and the Ravens commence their passing camp.

Washington, 29, chose the Ravens over the Washington Redskins, a club with which he also had a three-day tryout during its minicamp. Although mostly a special teams player the past few years, Washington caught the ball well at the Baltimore tryout and outperformed fellow free-agent wide receivers Jerry Porter and Tab Perry. A fourth free agent invited to the camp, D.J. Hackett, did not attend the tryout.

A six-year veteran, Washington played for the New England Patriots the past two seasons after spending four years with the Cincinnati Bengals.

In New England, the former University of Tennessee standout emerged as a special teams star. Washington caught only one pass in two years with the Patriots but had 15 or more special teams tackles each of those seasons.

A big, rangy wide receiver, Washington had 53 receptions in his first two seasons in the league. He has only 20 receptions, however, the past four years.

Washington entered the league as a third-round draft pick of the Bengals in 2003. He has appeared in 68 games but started only six. For his career, Washington has 73 catches, 896 yards and nine touchdowns.

:(I wanted him to be a Redskin

I'm going to look at this as a good thing. I'm thinking Washington knew he wouldn't be able to crack the line up here after seeing our WRs. Hopefully he chose the Ravens because he felt he'll get plenty of time to prove himself and an opportunity to start with the Ravens, whereas here, he felt more threatened. :)

I think you got it wrong, this guy does have upside. And he will no doubt improve the ST's unit.

I don't think he's a downgrade or anything, but he's not going to unseat Derrick Mason for the number one spot. He isn't likely to outdo Mark Clayton who, if he had nothing else going for him, is familiar with the system, nor Demetrius Williams who has the third spot reserved for him.

As you said, he might be a punt returner, but there's also Chris Carr and he could do it too.

you guys got WRs like that now?

Long answer:

"[baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick] Mason averaged 13 yards per catch in 2008; [in comparison, Superbowl contender and pro-bowler Anquan] Boldin averaged 11.7.

Mason was the most productive wide receiver on the Ravens’ roster last season, starting every game and catching 80 balls for 1,037 yards, including five touchdowns. It was Mason’s seventh 1,000-yard season in his career, his third in Baltimore.

Mason also became the 31st player in NFL history to reach 10,000 receiver yards, a mark he reached in front of a home crowd against Jacksonville on December 28. What made it even more impressive was he was playing with an injured left shoulder for nearly half the season."

Now the second wide receiver (Mark Clayton) isn't nearly as impressive, but he is definetly going to be a starter next year (barring injury of course).

After playing in 25 games, including 9 starts, Demetrius Williams will enter 2008 with 42 career receptions for 686 yards (16.3 avg.) with 2 TDs. Williams is expected to be the third receiver.

Short answer: Yeah, probably. He could end up starting if he really "wows" in preseason or if the other guys are injured. He will have to battle it out with newcomer Marcus Smith (who also looked quite promising in the Ravens minicamp) to get that spot.

Did Mason miss a single game last year due to injury?

true but the guy is up there in age and slowing down. and he is undersized and getting older. bad combo.

im not trying to dog him out at all..i think he is quality. but he is getting older and was hurt pretty good last year.

You didn't read my reply at all, did you?

of course i did.

i think you guys are taking this as an attack on mason and thats not what im saying at all.

just that mason is getting older. if washington can come in and compete he has a legit shot.

i did read your whole post

true but the guy is up there in age and slowing down. and he is undersized and getting older. bad combo.

im not trying to dog him out at all..i think he is quality. but he is getting older and was hurt pretty good last year.

I see what you're saying, but until Mason begins to actually shows signs of slowing down, I'll be content with him as the number one.

Archived