Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis 205 Yards Away...

method man

From getting to #25 on the all-time rushing list. I say he is a Hall of Famer if he can get to 13000 yards, which would place him at #7 alltime on the rushing list (at this point, I am not so sure LT can get there).

I think he definitely needs a monster season this year to make this a real possibility

What has Portis stood out for since leaving Denver? His blocking? He has rather quietly accumulated stats (while loudly accumulating persona) and I just don't see him in the HOF unless, yeah, he's at 14,000 yards.

He willed us into the playoffs in 2005 with that awesome end of year run he had.

No way Portis is a HOF without a superbowl ring. I really doubt he makes it long enough to accumulate 14,000 rushing yards. That's a lot of wear and tear, and miles for a RB. He's 28...if he can play for like 5 more years he has a chance, but i dont think his career lasts that long...

No way Portis is a HOF without a superbowl ring. I really doubt he makes it long enough to accumulate 14,000 rushing yards. That's a lot of wear and tear, and miles for a RB. He's 28...if he can play for like 5 more years he has a chance, but i dont think his career lasts that long...

He is 27

Portis's numbers compare to Earl Campbell's who is a HoFer. Campbell played 9 seasons and rushed 2,187 times for 9,407yds and 74tds. Through 7 seasons Portis has carried 2,052 times for 9,202yds and 72tds. It can also be argued that the game has changed since then. In the 70s and 80s the NFL was more of a running league than it is now. Portis has a legit chance at the HoF when all is said and done.

I agree with everything said here, he takes a pounding every week and will break down eventually.

Portis's numbers compare to Earl Campbell's who is a HoFer. Campbell played 9 seasons and rushed 2,187 times for 9,407yds and 74tds. Through 7 seasons Portis has carried 2,052 times for 9,202yds and 72tds. It can also be argued that the game has changed since then. In the 70s and 80s the NFL was more of a running league than it is now. Portis has a legit chance at the HoF when all is said and done.

And unlike WRs, the careers of RBs aren't lasting longer than before.

I agree with other posters though, CP will need at least 13,000 yds to be a shoe-in if he doesn't have the Super Bowl ring. It's because guys like Edge, Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, and Fred Taylor have more yardage (between 10,000 and 12,200). He will need to surpass them or get a ring.

And unlike WRs, the careers of RBs aren't lasting longer than before.

I agree with other posters though, CP will need at least 13,000 yds to be a shoe-in if he doesn't have the Super Bowl ring. It's because guys like Edge, Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, and Fred Taylor have more yardage (between 10,000 and 12,200). He will need to surpass them or get a ring.

There could be a problem with RBs getting into the HoF in coming years. Thurman Thomas is in, but he has no rings and a little over 12,000yds. Portis already has more TDs than Thomas and Thomas never rushed for more than 1,500yds in a season. Whats the difference between he and Portis if Portis has those numbers? Thomas has an MVP and OPY, but Portis has a Rookie of the Year. And you could make a case for Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, even Jamal Lewis. I think if Portis can get to 13,000 yards and if he does he belongs in the Hall.

It certainly is doable when you think about it to get to 13000 yards. He needs about 3800 more yards to get there. Assuming he can get 1400 yards this year, then he will need 2400 more. He would need 1 final beast year and then, if he can stick around as a backup for a few more years, he can retire by 32 with 13000 yards.

Let's hope Mike Williams wins the RT job. Portis could really use a road-grader at right tackle.

We owe a debt of gratitude to Portis. He is responsible for a large number of wins since he has been here. He’s a great runner and an unbelievable blocker for his size. I’ve seen him lift numerous guys off of their feet and onto their backs.

Portis has quietly had a HOF career so far, if he can continue this he's worthy and much more so then guys like Edge, Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, and Fred Taylor. Portis is great, I don't understand why people on this forum have a problem with Portis?

One thing I'm curious about is what will happen to Portis when he reaches the stage Edge is at, where he can still run the ball as a change of pace back but not as a full time starter. Does he do what Jerome Bettis did and take less money to stay as a team leader and change of pace back? Or will we end up having a bitter divorce from him as he grows older and refuses to take less carries.

Personally I hope for the former. Portis is one of the all-time great Redskins and he belongs here for the rest of his career. :D

If Clinton takes good care of his body and Daniel Snyders stays owner (he will never trade or cut CP), I think he still has 7 seasons left....then he would quit around 34.

I think his final playing years will be a bit like does of Jerome Bettis.

My prediction:

2009->1400

2010->1300

2011->1000

(here we go to the Bettis type of stats)

2012->600

2013->800

2014->1000

2015->400

Then is career total would be 15702....we take that to the all time rushing leaders list.

1. Emmitt Smith - 18,355

2. Walter Payton - 16,726

3. Clinton Portis - 15,702

4. Barry Sanders - 15,269

5. Curtis Martin - 14,101

6. Jerome Bettis - 13,653

Maby this is a bit of positief but it would be great if this is going to be Portis futher.

More of a running league but still less offense in general - these days the pass sets up the run in many cases. Moreover, Campbell was in rarified company back then; nowadays, Portis's stats aren't special. Defenders utterly feared Campbell - he also did rush for nearly 1700 yards in 1979 and 1934 yards in 1980 with 45 TDs in 3 years. Sorry. I like Portis, but he's only special to us.

If Clinton takes good care of his body and Daniel Snyders stays owner (he will never trade or cut CP), I think he still has 7 seasons left....then he would quit around 34.

I think his final playing years will be a bit like does of Jerome Bettis.

My prediction:

2009->1400

2010->1300

2011->1000

(here we go to the Bettis type of stats)

2012->600

2013->800

2014->1000

2015->400

Then is career total would be 15702....we take that to the all time rushing leaders list.

1. Emmitt Smith - 18,355

2. Walter Payton - 16,726

3. Clinton Portis - 15,702

4. Barry Sanders - 15,269

5. Curtis Martin - 14,101

6. Jerome Bettis - 13,653

Maby this is a bit of positief but it would be great if this is going to be Portis futher.

That would be awesome, especially if we could keep him in some type of reserve role similar to what Bettis did in his last seasons.

Actually he could break Riggins all time rushing record for the Skins this year if he gets almost 1400 yards.

Damn, he's a lot closer than I thought.

Archived