Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis 205 Yards Away...

method man

It's not his fault, but the thing that's holding him back is being a part of such a mediocre team. The only seasons worth anything were 2005 and his two years in Denver. If the Redskins can get it together and put together some convincing seasons with Portis being a good part of them... Even if they don't ever win the Super Bowl with him, it'd help his case a lot.

This is pretty spot on.

Well said. :cheers:

I think the big number for Portis is 100+ touchdowns. At 104 he can pass Riggins...if he can get to 111 he can pass Jim Brown and Walter Payton....that has to get you in the Hall right?

Shawn Alexander had more than that I'm pretty sure' date=' and an MVP, [i']and[/i] a Super Bowl appearance. I still don't think he'll be getting in any time soon. How about Curtis Martin?

portis would be even better if we had a passing game to fall back on. in every season hes played the whole year, hes always 5 or 10 in rushing, and hes usually tops in the league in rushing attempts which shows he can grind it out for us.

that being said, the dude is a stud, and if he was on a team with a legit passing offense we'd be in the playoffs every year.

Another thing I'd like to add regarding Campbell vs. CP.

This once again is a prime example of a player who's myth (NFL Films) has outstripped the reality.

Earl Campbell was turned into this mythic runner, who while he did have some monster seasons early in his career, he had some mediocre to poor seasons as well later on.

He never led the Oilers to a title.

He did nothing in New Orleans when he played for a bad Saints team and his career fizzled out.

CP, while never having the monster seasons (1800+ yards) has been remarkably consistent at gaining 1300-1500 yards every year of his career except the one and only season where injuries cut his season short.

Yet Earl Campbell is a myth and I suspect CP will not be turned into a mythic player by "the keepers of the flame" (NFL Films) even if/when CP churns out another 1300 or so yards and 8-10 touchdowns for the next 3 or 4 seasons and dwarfs Campbell's career numbers.

I could see Portis having a Curtis Martin type late career and retire with HOF like numbers.. Don't know if he'll get in though.. Objectively speaking, he is kind of an accumulater.

btw, It's good to be back from my suspension!!! :D

Portis is currently not a HOF RB. He needs SOME hardware to go along with the stats. Don't forget, the 'Skins haven't even won the NFC East since he's been on the team. The last time they did that was in 1999 with Norv, Brad Johnson and Stephen Davis.

Which just brought up a HOLY **** moment. It's REALLY been 10 years since the 'Skins won the NFC East? I'm going to go be sick somewhere.

I could see Portis having a Curtis Martin type late career and retire with HOF like numbers.. Don't know if he'll get in though.. Objectively speaking, he is kind of an accumulater.

btw, It's good to be back from my suspension!!! :D

I think CP's an "accumulator" only on the same terms that Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders were "accumulators". They all got yards and stats, but practically no rings, because of lack of supporting cast. (Peyton only got a ring when the rest of the Bears stepped up late in his career)

PS. Welcome back!

Archived