Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Mini-Camp Day 1 (Final - Kelly Audio Added)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage: 2009 Mini-Camp Day 1

05/01/09

DCS_0159.JPG

:helmet:

Welcome my friends to Mini-Camp 2009 style. My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by His Highness, Murf. Together we will bring you the action from rain-soaked Ashburn.

There have been showers on and off and the temps are in the mid-sixties.

The team has 113 players here at the mini-camp and I doubt I will get to know many of the names before this thing is over. Today we get our first look at Orakpo, the other rookies, and our old friends Derrick Dockery and Renaldo Wynn.

There are two practices today and the first one is set to begin at 11AM. We will update you following the first practice.

Stand by...

2:15PM

Just back in from the fields and a quick lunch. It was a good first practice. We have photos, audio, and some perspective.

Stand by...

3:10PM

No time for write-ups as practice starts again in about 15. I can tell you that what you heard on Eloi is true, he made the most impressive catches today with a couple of nice sideline grabs going into the end zone. Devin Thomas also beat DeAngelo Hall on a deep ball.

Jason Campbell threw some nice passes although the nest throw may have been a deep crossing pattern thrown by Colt Brennan to Robbie Agnone.

The o-line is patchwork with Samuels and Thomas not practicing.

"I am definitely in a position of comfort. This is my second year in this offense. I have a better understanding of what I am doing. I can push guys, I am more mature now to be a leader and to be the front guy. It comes with the territory. I am ready for that step, along with correcting things in my game." - Jason Campbell

More later...

6:10PM

We are back up from second practice. Uploading audio and pics. Stand by for action.

Audio

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from Alex Buzbee click HERE

To listen to comments from Andre Carter click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Cooley click HERE

To listen to comments from Phil Daniels click HERE

To listen to comments from Derrick Dockery click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Horton click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Wilson click HERE

To listen to comments from Renaldo Wynn click HERE

Afternoon Practice

To listen to comments from Colt Brennan click HERE

To listen to comments from Rock Cartwright click HERE

To listen to comments from Cody Glenn click HERE

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall click HERE

To listen to comments from Malcolm Kelly click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Coach Palermo click HERE

To listen to comments from Devin Thomas click HERE

Photos

Photos 1

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287197

Photos 2

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287198

Photos 3

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287199

Afternoon Session

Photos 4

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287217

Photos 5

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287218

Photos 6

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287219

Photos 7

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287220

“It’s like when you first meet a girl that you like; ‘I like you, but I could fall in love.’”

That’s what Chris Wilson had to say about playing strong-side linebacker. In his time here in Washington, Wilson has been a speed rusher. With the release of Marcus Washington however, and the return of Phil Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, Wilson is playing LB. In this he is not alone. Brian Orakpo spent most of the practice, including drills, playing linebacker as well. Although he did get some snaps at end, it seems like the team is committed to playing him at strong-side for camp.

And why not, both Phil Daniels and Renaldo Wynn were on hand, as was Alex Buzbee, with Phil playing first team at left end. Daniels was a surprise participant as he went full-go. Coach Zorn had told us recently not to expect him, but yet there he was. Phil has to be the largest, strongest defensive lineman the team has now, save Albert Haynesworth. He told me he is weighing in at 305 and already squatting 633 lbs without braces on the knee. “I gotta make up that second round pick for ‘em,” he said, referring to what the team gave up to get Jason Taylor last year when Daniels went down on the first day of training camp.

We got our first look at the $100 million man, Albert Haynesworth. He seemed kind of laid back, but I didn’t think too much of it. He is a proven veteran and this is minicamp. Still, he was probably the least motivated looking of the defensive lineman.

Offensively the star of the day was Keith Eloi, who is trying out for the team. I witnessed two dynamite sideline catches going into the end zone with tight coverage. Kelley Washington had a very nice grab on a similar route, as did Devin Thomas, who beat DeAngelo Hall in the first practice on a deep route.

For quarterbacks Campbell looked very sharp, completing most of what he threw. As described above, he hit on some very nice deep sideline routes. His passes were sharp and his reads good. After Campbell I would say Colt Brennan had the best day for QBs. He had arguably the best pass in camp on a beautiful deep crossing pattern to tight end Robbie Agnone.

The offensive line was a bit of a patchwork with Samuels still out. It featured Stephon Heyer at right tackle (and I presume he is the starter now), Chad Rinehart and right guard, Casey Rabach at center, Derrick Dockery at left guard, and Devin Clark at left tackle. I was told that Randy Thomas played some but I never saw him in there.

I’d like to tell you how they fared against a defensive line featuring Albert Haynesworth but they practiced on the far side of the far field. And being a non-contact drill it is hard to gauge.

For running backs no-one stood out. I heard people remarking the Clinton Portis appears to be bigger. Honestly I couldn’t tell as he always wears a lot of layers. Rock Cartwright told me he lost 8 lbs but I couldn’t really tell by looking at him. Betts looked ok with a few nice runs.

The corner backs looked pretty sharp today but were the victims of the nice catches I described above, although Byron Westbrook did get a pic when the receiver ran a bad route.

LaRon Landry and Chris Horton were your starting safeties, with Reed Doughty and Kareem Moore the second group. Being a non-contact practice it is hard to say how good the safeties would have been.

For the most part it looked as one would expect for a team holding its first practice of any sort in almost 5 months. There were brief moments of good play but more than anything guys were focused on either learning or executing their assignments. With so many young players in camp trying to make the team, there was at times sloppy play.

Still, it was nice to see some football again and I can’t get wait to get back out. Unfortunately this will not be until Sunday. Worse, Murf cannot make it tomorrow because of the Caps playoff game.

YES!!!! It's back - I can't wait for some of your amazing reports! Looking forward to hearing how RAK looks in B&G! woooohooooooooooo

Kinda OT - when is Training Camp open to the public this year? I am trying to plan my trip and need to know which days i need to take off!

HAIL!

Lots of info on the RT position battle. Who is looking good? Who seems to be the early favorite. How is Mike Williams in particular looking? I would like to know about Edwin Williams and the other Maryland tackle.

How yeah, my new man crush...Marko Mitchell, gives us some info on him please.

Archived