Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Mini-Camp Day 1 (Final - Kelly Audio Added)

JimmiJo

its a HUGE deal. hes a defensive end, not a linebacker. have you looked at the DEs we have starting aside from carter?

this is his first time with the team, he needs to be working out at DE, where he should be playing. but of course, because we have no LB, vinny thinks he is one.

this team couldnt get any dumber. maybe barnes can play RT? and maybe glenn gets converted BACK to a RB?

WHat gets me is that the article says its no surprise. Its a surprise to me because previous articles had said that he would be a DE (hence not a LB) focusing on getting better at stopping the run.

Did we suddenly change philosophies?

I heard this mentioned on this thread, but maybe some of the rest haven't been listening to news lately in regards to Orakpo. It has been stated hundreds of times since day one that this is how they would use Orakpo, especially in the beggining. The team said they wanted to see what they had in Orakpo and Wilson. This is just to assess what they have to replace Washington. Step off of the ledge.

i will step away from the ledge when i hear the team announce he is the starting DE, and will line up at LB on certain plays.

starting his first camp with the LBs, id assume hes a LB who lined up at DE every now and then.

He's listed on the roster as a DE, I'd take that more of an indication of where he will end up rather than where he lines up as a rookie, on a 3 day minicamp, knowing nothing about the defense.

Rocky is out, and more than likely they want to see his athleticism at the position. They have plenty of tape on him as a DE.

haha alright im calm!

im really hoping thats all it is.

BUT, if later down the road hes being touted as our new SSLB, im going to lose it.

There's a bigger chance of us moving Rocky to SSLB, which is being discussed apparently according to recent stories/reports.

WHat gets me is that the article says its no surprise. Its a surprise to me because previous articles had said that he would be a DE (hence not a LB) focusing on getting better at stopping the run.

Did we suddenly change philosophies?

It's not a surprise because its been mentioned numerous times since we drafted him. You must have missed all of those stories.

i will step away from the ledge when i hear the team announce he is the starting DE, and will line up at LB on certain plays.

starting his first camp with the LBs, id assume hes a LB who lined up at DE every now and then.

But again we are assuming that if Rocky were here he would even be practicing with the starting unit. I can remember when Landry first got here he did not line up with starters. But by opening day he was the starter.

He may just be starting in place of Rocky.

Please step away from the ledge! :hysterical:

This is the very first Mini-Camp. I think we are making the assumption that he was going to be in with the first team. Maybe if Rocky were here he would be in with the second team. Again he is a Rookie and that's what they've done with the Rookies in the past. He might just be filling in for Rocky so they might as well get a good look at his LB skills.

We have a long offseason people. Pace yourself.

exactly. :hysterical:

it's a mini-camp in may. big difference from a game in september, or even training camp in august. everyone take a breath.

If he is going to see ANY time at LB, I would expect him to get a lot of work with the LBs in practice as he played DE in college and would need more LB work to play there at all.

I hope he plays DE 90%+ of the time. But, I wouldn't freak yet as this was talked about even before they took Orakpo.

i overreacted, youve all sold me on him just learning with the LBs today.

im just fearful with our hole at LB that we stupidly try and plug him in there as a full time starter.

A play-maker is a play-maker.

We could let him play all over the field and, especially on running downs, let him line up behind Daniels so he is freed up to stay clean and pursue the ball.

For someone with his athletic ability, you really have to question having him fire off the ball and run into a brick wall on first and second down when the other team is running the ball. He can attack the QB from a standing position or with his hand in the dirt.

But again we are assuming that if Rocky were here he would even be practicing with the starting unit. I can remember when Landry first got here he did not line up with starters. But by opening day he was the starter.

He may just be starting in place of Rocky.

I bet this is the case. Rocky is out for the day, they wanted to see how Orakpo would be at LB, so why not make use of the opportunity? Makes sense to me.

One question I have is which safety position Landry, Horton and the other safeties will play? Is Landry going to be FS again or go to SS?

i overreacted, youve all sold me on him just learning with the LBs today.

im just fearful with our hole at LB that we stupidly try and plug him in there as a full time starter.

no worries, i think we all want to see orakpo dominate at DE.

God you people make me sick. You all go ape nuts about every single thing under the sun. Why are some of you even fans of this team? No matter what they do, you are never happy. For last 6 months or so, it has been like a bunch of MSF's running around here and ruining everything that made this site great.

Complaint after complaint after complaint. Stupid new thread after stupid new thread. Picking fights and being ridiculously negative just for the hell of it.

We need $9.99 monthly fees to get back the credibility of this site.

I just wanted to come in here and get some dish about the OTA's, but of course this thread has been taken over by what position a rookie is playing on the very first day of organized drills in the offseason. Jesus.

I would say it is far more difficult to acclimate into the nfl at the linebacker position as opposed to defensive end especially for a guy who played end most of his college career.

Orapko obviously is a talented player but it remains to be seen what he could do as a linebacker. I'm sure the team is using these 3 days just to see if it's even worth playing him at strongside. If he does well, I'm sure we will see some sort of hybrid situation. If he doesn't, maybe he just plays end and that's it.

I kinda hope he fails at playing lb so that he can focus on playing end.

God you people make me sick. You all go ape nuts about every single thing under the sun. Why are some of you even fans of this team? No matter what they do, you are never happy. For last 6 months or so, it has been like a bunch of MSF's running around here and ruining everything that made this site great.

Complaint after complaint after complaint. Stupid new thread after stupid new thread. Picking fights and being ridiculously negative just for the hell of it.

We need $9.99 monthly fees to get back the credibility of this site.

I just wanted to come in here and get some dish about the OTA's, but of course this thread has been taken over by what position a rookie is playing on the very first day of organized drills in the offseason. Jesus.

HAHAHA

Shut up. The dish on the OTAs will come when jimmijo updates the first post, everything else is just discussion until then. Its always been like that.

arnold-stop-whining-sizdow.jpg

You think people would pay $120 a year to get up here and be morons like they have been for free? This world has gone down the crapper if that is the case. We are in a recession you know.

lol at paying 120 dollars so you can bury your head in the sand in peace.

that being said, i already admitted i flew off the handle a bit with this news, cause i want a real DE for once. not saying hes not, i will be POed if the team thinks hes a linebacker and not a DE, considering the enormous hole we have a DE.

I would say it is far more difficult to acclimate into the nfl at the linebacker position as opposed to defensive end especially for a guy who played end most of his college career.

Orapko obviously is a talented player but it remains to be seen what he could do as a linebacker. I'm sure the team is using these 3 days just to see if it's even worth playing him at strongside. If he does well, I'm sure we will see some sort of hybrid situation. If he doesn't, maybe he just plays end and that's it.

I kinda hope he fails at playing lb so that he can focus on playing end.

Hoping any Skins player fails at anything is not very fan like. What if he is a great LB in the form of D-Ware, Merriman or Suggs? I mean its not that far off to think that considering he is very athletic.

He will get plenty of time at DE this I am positive. Trust Greg Blache, I think we owe him that. He has put together a top 4 Defensive unit that never got to the QB! That's unheard of!

Archived