Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Is Our Starting QB, So Let's Be Optimistic About It...

when teams stack the box, offenses that get stiffled need to adjust. We just kept running portis up between the tackles and throwing the short slant to Moss. It failed miserably. We were predictable on offense in the second half of the season. Zorn could have evolved. Instead he stayed conservative. Zorn could have countered with going 4 or 5 wide, use the shotgun, shock the defense and go hurry up. Instead we played right into the defenses game plan. Instead we tried the TE reverse to Fred Davis :doh:

-Its not always up to the coach either... While teams certainly stacked the box against us, thats not really something you game plan for, unless your playing a team like PIT, or BAL... Its more or less up to the qb to read what the defense is giving, call the hot route/audible whatever is necessary and then make the defense pay

As my sig shows our o-line gave up 2 sacks per game on average the first 8 games of the season (first half)... In the second half we did give up a lot more, however if you take out the Pittsburgh game, we gave up only 2.14 sacks the second half of the season... Not very different than the 2 sacks per game we were giving up the first half of the season...

-I don't understand where this idea that our line just fell apart came from

As my sig shows our o-line gave up 2 sacks per game on average the first 8 games of the season (first half)... In the second half we did give up a lot more, however if you take out the Pittsburgh game, we gave up only 2.14 sacks the second half of the season... Not very different than the 2 sacks per game we were giving up the first half of the season...

Errr... injury to our pro-bowl left tackle?

there's more to protecting the QB than sacks. knockdowns, pressures and batted passes are important, too.

also, our line's run-blocking regressed as the year went on, as well. once our run game faltered and teams didn't have to gameplan around Portis so much, they were free to concentrate on shutting down Campbell, which they did.

there's more to protecting the QB than sacks. knockdowns, pressures and batted passes are important, too.

also, our line's run-blocking regressed as the year went on, as well. once our run game faltered and teams didn't have to gameplan around Portis so much, they were free to concentrate on shutting down Campbell, which they did.

another myth that our run game took some huge hit. we had about 3 games with bad run production at the end of the year.

the steelers game portis averaged 3.9 per carry, which was higher than the average pittsburgh allowed, and he averaged 4.5 against the cowboys. he couldnt carry anymore in pittsburgh because we fell so far behind, and he had 6 carries in the 2nd half against dallas, one for 20 yards. in the 2nd dallas game, campbell was so bad in the 2nd half that anytime we didnt run, our offense just went nowhere. portis had 6 runs for 31 yards, an average of 5.xx per carry. thats pretty good if you ask me. campbell in the 2nd half that game when we already had the lead? 13/19 for 98 yards, no TDs and 1 INT. and we lost.

then, when our oline was supposedly dead and destroyed, they were able to block for portis to the tune of 143 yards against the seahawks, a 4.9 average per carry.

then the next two weeks, portis wasnt even given the ball because we fell behind so early against the giants and the ravens. portis carried the ball 4 times in the 2nd half of the giants game while campbell was busy failing, and in the ravens game portis carried the ball once in the 2nd half, again while campbell was doing nothing. and the ravens run D was great as well, they allowed an average of 3.6 per carry, portis put up 2.9 against them on only 11 carries, and wasnt even given a chance to put up more because we were down by 2 scores for most of the game.

so really, if you wanna claim the Oline had a regression, start it at the bengals game, because the last 3 games our oline had problems. samuels was gone at that point, our team morale was shot, and everyone in the league knew that campbell couldnt beat you through the air, so all teams did was stack the box and watch portis run into 8 defenders.

please stop blaming the oline when its clear what the problem is/was.

-Its not always up to the coach either... While teams certainly stacked the box against us, thats not really something you game plan for, unless your playing a team like PIT, or BAL... Its more or less up to the qb to read what the defense is giving, call the hot route/audible whatever is necessary and then make the defense pay

Good point. But for the life of me, i dont remember Jason calling any audibles. Perhaps its certainly not easy to see like some of the other quarterbacks when they do it. Our audibles if called frequently rarely involved changing formations. I am not sure that Jason was entrusted to call (m)any audibles to be honest. There certainly wasnt much discussion about it. I remember when Jason said he audibled 2 years ago, Gibbs got all bent out of shape.

I really think Jason struggles to see the entire field squatted down so low behind Rabach, and never in the shotgun. No joking. That brings something to my mind. Why dont we do some fake audibles and see if we can get the defense confused or shift, or burn a timeout. Zorn has to take the heat on some of this stuff, its not all Jason 24/7.

-I know but I felt looking at the sack numbers could give us a pretty accurate indicator of how the o-line performed... and I am in no way saying there wasn't a drop off in performance... But this idea that we more or less didn't have an o-line for the second half of last season is just plain incorrect.

another myth that our run game took some huge hit. we had about 3 games with bad run production at the end of the year.

the steelers game portis averaged 3.9 per carry, which was higher than the average pittsburgh allowed, and he averaged 4.5 against the cowboys. he couldnt carry anymore in pittsburgh because we fell so far behind, and he had 6 carries in the 2nd half against dallas, one for 20 yards. in the 2nd dallas game, campbell was so bad in the 2nd half that anytime we didnt run, our offense just went nowhere. portis had 6 runs for 31 yards, an average of 5.xx per carry. thats pretty good if you ask me. campbell in the 2nd half that game when we already had the lead? 13/19 for 98 yards, no TDs and 1 INT. and we lost.

then, when our oline was supposedly dead and destroyed, they were able to block for portis to the tune of 143 yards against the seahawks, a 4.9 average per carry.

then the next two weeks, portis wasnt even given the ball because we fell behind so early against the giants and the ravens. portis carried the ball 4 times in the 2nd half of the giants game while campbell was busy failing, and in the ravens game portis carried the ball once in the 2nd half, again while campbell was doing nothing. and the ravens run D was great as well, they allowed an average of 3.6 per carry, portis put up 2.9 against them on only 11 carries, and wasnt even given a chance to put up more because we were down by 2 scores for most of the game.

so really, if you wanna claim the Oline had a regression, start it at the bengals game, because the last 3 games our oline had problems. samuels was gone at that point, our team morale was shot, and everyone in the league knew that campbell couldnt beat you through the air, so all teams did was stack the box and watch portis run into 8 defenders.

please stop blaming the oline when its clear what the problem is/was.

Do you really think its a myth? In the fist 8 weeks, Portis was CRUSHING the opposition with a 5.025 YPC. Hell... in some of his games, he was getting over 6.0 YPC.

Then we have that Steelers game which most can say was the turning point in the season. Dont let the numbers fool you. If Portis did not break ONE SINGLE long run of 22 yards, he would have had 29 yards on 12 carries. Thats a 2.416 YPC average. Dont kid yourself. He was stuffed.

After that week, Portis average YPC dropped from 5.025 to 3.412. Thats over a 50% drop in production... and though he was a little banged up, the injuries alone were not enough to stop that statistical monster.

Lets not forget that he was running against some of the better defenses in the league at this point. That has to count for something... but I guess Portis detractors would call that an excuse.

As for the highlighted remarks...

Its really awesome how revisionist history works isnt it? Trump up a guy who played average, and nd burn down a guy who played average.

1. Portis cold not carry the ball any more because he was totalloy ineffective through the entire game sans one carry.

2. JC was the only player that was able to score on Dallas that day. He had that bone headed INT, but we won the turnover battle. The line was not able to block for Portis, or Campbell. And yet again, we had to rely on the kicker in the clutch. That formula has not worked here in forever. I dont see ow JC was "so bad" in the second half. Other than the INT, we were able to move the ball. Our TOP was over 15 minutes. It was a trenches battle all day, but I cant see how you can pin that loss on JC alone. IMO it was over when the defense let up the lead to a rookie TE and then could not get the ball back with 6 minutes left on the clock.

3. The Seahawks. Funny you only mention Portis here, but forget to mention JC's 2006 yards through the air... or his TD contribution... or his 6.2 YPA... or his 5.3 YPC (making plays with his feet)... or his 88.7 QB rating. Yeh... I can totally see why you did not mention that. It was mediocre at best. Portis was the hero of the day... this I agree with. But JC was a solid contributor.

4. I think this is revisionist again. You are blaming the offense for not being able to stop the opposing team from scoring. We did not fall far behind early. It was 13-7 at half time... no reason to give up the run game at that point. JC had a pretty solid game with 232 throug the air and a whoppinf 7.6 YPC on the ground. Why could Portis not run against the Giants, but the QB can? I know thats a little silly, but so is your notion that JC does absolutley nothing good and everything bad.

In the end... the O-line did have regression. They were up and down all year. there were points that they were outstanding at run blocking... ad time when theyaccelled at Pass blocking... but age and injuries (as usual) caught upwith them toward the end of the season. I do believe that JC could have performed better and helped the line. I expect that this year. But to expect the kid to get a new HC... with a new philosophy... in a new system... with new players, and new cadences and protection schemes and all that other stuff that goes with that. To expect our QB to take all that AND overcome the deficiencies of the O-line? Thats a Tall order. I dont know, but to me that sounds just a tad unrealistic.

Do you really think its a myth? In the fist 8 weeks, Portis was CRUSHING the opposition with a 5.025 YPC. Hell... in some of his games, he was getting over 6.0 YPC.

yes i think its a myth thats been made up to alleviate and distort how weak jason campbell really is.

Then we have that Steelers game which most can say was the turning point in the season. Dont let the numbers fool you. If Portis did not break ONE SINGLE long run of 22 yards, he would have had 29 yards on 12 carries. Thats a 2.416 YPC average. Dont kid yourself. He was stuffed.

After that week, Portis average YPC dropped from 5.025 to 3.412. Thats over a 50% drop in production... and though he was a little banged up, the injuries alone were not enough to stop that statistical monster.

Lets not forget that he was running against some of the better defenses in the league at this point. That has to count for something... but I guess Portis detractors would call that an excuse.

again, nonsense. first of all, the steelers allowed an average of 3.6 a carry, portis put up 3.9. so portis was doing better what the leauges BEST DEFENSE allowed per game. and youre trying to take away his big run? thats how guys averages get high. watch a vikings game. adrian peterson literally goes, 1 yard, 2 yards, 0 yards, 3 yards, 49 yards, 3 yards, 2 yards. nobody just gets 5 yards a click. big runs are a part of the game, and portis had a good one in that game. dont just take it away to make your point look better.

and its sad you have to use the best D in the league for your point. wow, portis didnt torch the steelers like he torched the lions. nobody torches the steelers, just doesnt happen. when someone puts up 6.0 a carry on the steelers, something is wrong.

As for the highlighted remarks...

Its really awesome how revisionist history works isnt it? Trump up a guy who played average, and nd burn down a guy who played average.

1. Portis cold not carry the ball any more because he was totalloy ineffective through the entire game sans one carry.

if youre referring to portis in the steelers game, hes the only reason we did anything. campbell was 100% useless that day. he was exposed badly.

2. JC was the only player that was able to score on Dallas that day. He had that bone headed INT, but we won the turnover battle. The line was not able to block for Portis, or Campbell. And yet again, we had to rely on the kicker in the clutch. That formula has not worked here in forever. I dont see ow JC was "so bad" in the second half. Other than the INT, we were able to move the ball. Our TOP was over 15 minutes. It was a trenches battle all day, but I cant see how you can pin that loss on JC alone. IMO it was over when the defense let up the lead to a rookie TE and then could not get the ball back with 6 minutes left on the clock.

um, go pull up the gamelog in the 2nd half. he threw a ton of dump off passes, an INT, no TDs, failed on 4th and x when the team needed him, and we lost. 13/19 with 0/1 TD/INT and 98 yards. if you think thats somehow good, we can just stop discussing this right now. and we didnt move the ball as you claim. heres how our drives ended in the 2nd half:

- campbell throws INT

- campbell throws -3 yard pass to moss on 2nd down, sacked by ware on 3rd, punt

- 3rd and 8, campbell to cooley for 3 yards, punt on 4th

- 3rd and 4, incomplete short to thomas, 4th and 4, incomplete short to moss

4 possessions, all ending in campbells failure on 3rd down and 4th down. i mean, were in the crunch, the game is tight, we have the ball with 6 minutes and were at the dallas 37. we need this score to put them away. campbell has 2 tries to get 4 yards and fails.

3. The Seahawks. Funny you only mention Portis here, but forget to mention JC's 2006 yards through the air... or his TD contribution... or his 6.2 YPA... or his 5.3 YPC (making plays with his feet)... or his 88.7 QB rating. Yeh... I can totally see why you did not mention that. It was mediocre at best. Portis was the hero of the day... this I agree with. But JC was a solid contributor.

he threw for 2006 yards? lol at the typo, but JC had a solid game. again, 206 from a QB is nothing to get excited about. a team as bad as the seahawks campbell should have been able to torch them all over the place, but again, he cant. and campbell had a solid game that day, but he isnt why we won (as usual). it was portis and our oline that got us that win.

4. I think this is revisionist again. You are blaming the offense for not being able to stop the opposing team from scoring. We did not fall far behind early. It was 13-7 at half time... no reason to give up the run game at that point. JC had a pretty solid game with 232 throug the air and a whoppinf 7.6 YPC on the ground. Why could Portis not run against the Giants, but the QB can? I know thats a little silly, but so is your notion that JC does absolutley nothing good and everything bad.

did you watch this game? all of campbells yards game at the end in junk time, when the game was over. i would know, i was there sitting in the freezing rain while everyone exited the stadium. campbell had 38 attempts, 19 of them were in the 4th quarter lol. im blaming the offense for scoring 7 points. the giants are a better team, but we didnt even keep it competitive. they were up 20-7 with 12 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. if campbell could do anything through the air, he would have. he couldnt even muster a garbage score in junk time at the end of the game when the giants were already celebrating.

In the end... the O-line did have regression. They were up and down all year. there were points that they were outstanding at run blocking... ad time when theyaccelled at Pass blocking... but age and injuries (as usual) caught upwith them toward the end of the season. I do believe that JC could have performed better and helped the line. I expect that this year. But to expect the kid to get a new HC... with a new philosophy... in a new system... with new players, and new cadences and protection schemes and all that other stuff that goes with that. To expect our QB to take all that AND overcome the deficiencies of the O-line? Thats a Tall order. I dont know, but to me that sounds just a tad unrealistic.

in the end, the oline really started to fade when samuels went down, and obviously it should, hes the cog in our oline. JC's play remained mostly the same throughout the whole year, low yardage, low TDs, low INTs. the only thing that changed in JCs numbers were his INTs started going up, and frankly his INTs being so low in the beginning of the year was bound to go down. nobody goes through a season and doesnt throw a pick.

What is the excuse for the Cincy game? That was the nail in the coffin for JC. Playoffs are effectively on the line against a 1 win team and he puts in his worst game of the past 3 years. Plenty of protection and open receivers.

again, this is the day i lost hope. he didnt get touched all game, and threw for 167 yards. and the box was stacked like crazy against portis, JC should have had a field day. but of course he didnt.

the excuses for this one are mike sellers fumble, and chris cooleys fumble on the 1st play of the game. do people realize that even if sellers had scored that TD, we would have been tied with a 1 win team? and nothing past that was certain?

do people realize that even if sellers had scored that TD, we would have been tied with a 1 win team? and nothing past that was certain?

id rather go into that uncertainty knowing that the redskins still COULD win it, than turning off the game knowing we would lose... to a one win team at that

um, go pull up the gamelog in the 2nd half. he threw a ton of dump off passes, an INT, no TDs, failed on 4th and x when the team needed him, and we lost. 13/19 with 0/1 TD/INT and 98 yards. if you think thats somehow good, we can just stop discussing this right now. and we didnt move the ball as you claim. heres how our drives ended in the 2nd half:

- campbell throws INT

- campbell throws -3 yard pass to moss on 2nd down, sacked by ware on 3rd, punt

- 3rd and 8, campbell to cooley for 3 yards, punt on 4th

- 3rd and 4, incomplete short to thomas, 4th and 4, incomplete short to moss

4 possessions, all ending in campbells failure on 3rd down and 4th down. i mean, were in the crunch, the game is tight, we have the ball with 6 minutes and were at the dallas 37. we need this score to put them away. campbell has 2 tries to get 4 yards and fails.

The OL wasn't a factor?

The Cowboys DL? Ware, Ratliff, Canty, Ellis were everywhere

JC was getting hit on 3 step drops bro...

Did Campbell call the those screen passes?

Deep ball the hits off Moss's hands?

Devin Thomas drops/short arms?

ARE drop?

If you want to see an actual unbiased break down of that game go here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=288596&page=3

I see why you blame JC for everything, you miss what is actuall going on during the games because you're blinded by your dislike for JC.

JC didn't have his best day, but he didn't get much help either.

But according to you its all his fault right?

Cool.

What is the excuse for the Cincy game? That was the nail in the coffin for JC. Playoffs are effectively on the line against a 1 win team and he puts in his worst game of the past 3 years. Plenty of protection and open receivers.

I cant argue that. JC played really bad in that game. His statistical worst of the season.

I guess you could call it the "perfect storm" of events so to speak. JC payed his part in that by holding the ball too laong and not recognizing open receivers when they were there. Why? IDK. My guess is the shell shock of getting ***** slapped to the ground about 18 times in 5 games... not to mention hurries, and collisions after getting the ball out in the nick of time.

But the defense played a part too. They let up 14 1st quarter points against a 1 win team. And even given all of that, we were in position to win, yet could not punch a TD from the one yard line with what... 5 attempts?

The OL wasn't a factor?

The Cowboys DL? Ware, Ratliff, Canty, Ellis were everywhere

JC was getting hit on 3 step drops bro...

Did Campbell call the those screen passes?

Deep ball the hits off Moss's hands?

Devin Thomas drops/short arms?

ARE drop?

If you want to see an actual unbiased break down of that game go here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=288596&page=3

I see why you blame JC for everything, you miss what is actuall going on during the games because you're blinded by your dislike for JC.

JC didn't have his best day, but he didn't get much help either.

But according to you its all his fault right?

Cool.

well your defense held a team to 14 points. i say thats pretty good. so im not gonna blame the D.

our runningback carried the ball 15 times for 68 yards. that looks like production to me. 4.6 a carry i think it was? doesnt seem bad.

our QB? 162 yards on 34 attempts. 1/1 td/int. 22 completions. does this stand out to you as a reason why we might have only scored 10 points?

did campbell call those screens? no. does campbell have the ability to audible if he thinks a play sucks? last time i checked he does. why wasnt he calling audibles if the plays were so bad? hes allowed to, and hes got every right to do so? but its much easier to blame everyone else as usual.

lol, and now were blaming WR drops. man you cant be anymore predictable. blame moss for dropping one pass and the rookie for having "short arms". seriously, you have got to be campbells agent.

you know what i dislike? losing games. you know what i also dislike? not scoring points. when JC starts at QB, we lose games and dont score points. but im sure thats someone elses fault.

and the numbers i posted on those drives were not biased, they were facts about how every drive in the 2nd half ended. all 4 of them were at the hands of jason campbell.

In the end... the O-line did have regression. They were up and down all year. there were points that they were outstanding at run blocking... ad time when theyaccelled at Pass blocking... but age and injuries (as usual) caught upwith them toward the end of the season. I do believe that JC could have performed better and helped the line. I expect that this year. But to expect the kid to get a new HC... with a new philosophy... in a new system... with new players, and new cadences and protection schemes and all that other stuff that goes with that.
Our line has never excelled at pass blocking. Its not a strong pass blocking unit. With a new RT and maybe a future replace for Randy we could change that.
To expect our QB to take all that AND overcome the deficiencies of the O-line? Thats a Tall order. I dont know, but to me that sounds just a tad unrealistic.
All we had to do was beat the Bengals and the 49'ers. Not a very tall order.

wow, didnt know that either. thats actually pretty cool.

Up until that game, they had never had a single rush of 20 yards or more. Gee... imagine that... you can get to the QB and stop the run at the same time. I didn't know a Defense was capable of both!

That was sarcasm... ;)

Archived