Super Bowl in London???????

'Skins_&_'Stons

:puke::puke::puke::puke:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/8016358.stm

Click the link for the full article.

sport_logo.gif

NFL in talks on London Super Bowl

By Tim Love

The NFL has had 'substantive talks' with officials in London about holding the Super Bowl in the city, a senior league official has told BBC Sport.

While commissioner Roger Goodell has previously admitted an interest in bringing the game to London, this is the first confirmation of discussions.

"We've spoken on what it would take to host and for us to bring it over," said events vice-president Frank Supovitz.

"The city has all the facilities needed, and in great quantity."

Supovitz was talking in New York City where the NFL Draft will take place this weekend.

"We have had very substantive conversations with the city of London. We've got to the point of exploring the bid document," he added.

Visit London, the capital's official visitor organisation, confirmed that it was pursuing a long-term ambition to bring the Super Bowl to the city.

"Ever since the NFL began playing games in London we have been in discussions with the NFL about what is involved in staging Super Bowl from the host city perspective," said commercial director David Hornby.

"It continues to be something we discuss on a regular basis, without there being any specific timetable or plan in place."

The venues for the next three Super Bowls have already been decided with Dolphin Stadium in Florida, Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas and the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indiana putting together successful bids.

But London has become the focal point for the NFL's desire to expand the sport globally, and bringing the sport's showpiece event to the city appears to be a real possibility.

Mark Waller, NFL Head of Sales and Marketing, said: "The NFL is a global property, has a global audience, and London is an incredible city from a sports fan's perspective. I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect at all."

if goodell does this, it will be the stupidest thing hes ever done. it wont matter much to the fans watching from home, unless they have to play it at some weird time in the afternoon. since playing it at the usual time its done here would be like 5am in london or something.

but he would be alienating all the fans of the two super bowl teams who then wouldnt be able to fly to england to go to the game.

if goodell does this, it will be the stupidest thing hes ever done. it wont matter much to the fans watching from home, unless they have to play it at some weird time in the afternoon. since playing it at the usual time its done here would be like 5am in london or something.

but he would be alienating all the fans of the two super bowl teams who then wouldnt be able to fly to england to go to the game.

They couldn't keep the game when they normally start it (around 6:30pm on the East Coast of the U.S.) b/c it would be like 11:30pm or midnight over in London.

To start the game a 7 or 8 o'clock at night in London, it would have to start about 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon here on the East coast of the U.S.

That means the game would be on about 11:00 am or Noon out on the West Coast.

Who wants to watch a Super Bowl at 11am in the morning?

They couldn't keep the game when they normally start it (around 6:30pm on the East Coast of the U.S.) b/c it would be like 11:30pm or midnight over in London.

To start the game a 7 or 8 o'clock at night in London, it would have to start about 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon here on the East coast of the U.S.

That means the game would be on about 11:00 am or Noon out on the West Coast.

Who wants to watch a Super Bowl at 11am in the morning?

Remember before the NFL became real popular, most SB's started about 2 or 3 PM.

Why exactly wouldn't they be able to fly to London? Ticket prices to london are comparable to tickets across the US.

I am from the UK and I read this and thought WTF !!!

I can see London or out of US city hosting the pro bowl but the Superbowl is just too important to the US Cities and fans ... it is not just the game but the week leading up to it . ...for this to happen .

This is beyond dumb...this is monumentally insane

I'm from the UK but I really can't see this happening. Aside from the 5 hour time difference to the East Coast and 8 to the West there is the weather issue.

Feb in England gives you a really good chance of cold and rain. Add a poor surface at Wembley and you have a potential mud bowl.

Might play a big part in getting the NFL a more global audience. Given what the NFL is today, as compared where it was 30 years ago -- who knows where it will be 30 years from now. My guess is the proposal is meant to go along with the NFL's broader, longer term ambitions. If the NFL is getting better penetration in the European market ... if the NFL feels this will help them expand further overseas ... if the venue turns out to be financially lucrative enough. Lotsa ifs. But I could see it being not so crazy an idea at some point.

Or perhaps it'll never go outside the US. :whoknows:

Archived