Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Air Conditioners Freezing Up

Gracelander

Does anybody know what could be causing an air conditioner to freeze up? We have a window unit that would work fine, then after about 2 hours or so i'd open up the plastic grill to find a solid block of ice, I figured I had a bad ac, so I went up and bought a new expensive one and it does the same thing.

I made sure it has a good drain angle, and like I say, it's 2 days old and the coils aren't dirty or clogged. Has anybody here had that issue? I need to move to a central air house, this air conditioning blows (pun intended) :silly:

For me it's usually a case of being low on freon, a dead compressor, or having dirty coils, but that shouldn't be the case with a new unit.

Those were my thoughts too, but like you said a new unit shouldn't experience these problems. Maybe the unit isn't powerful enough for the room you are trying to cool and it's running to much. Make sure it's able to drain properly too.

My window unit just locked up this spring. It had been working wonderfully every summer since 1991. But now I turn it on and it makes a loud humming sound and the fan blade wheel doesn't want to turn. It turns real slow, like an inch a minute or less. I'm assuming the motor is burnt out. I figure it's not worth fixing, so I bought a new one yesterday. I hope it doesn't suck.

My window unit just locked up this spring. It had been working wonderfully every summer since 1991. But now I turn it on and it makes a loud humming sound and the fan blade wheel doesn't want to turn. It turns real slow, like an inch a minute or less. I'm assuming the motor is burnt out. I figure it's not worth fixing, so I bought a new one yesterday. I hope it doesn't suck.

If it does, it would mean you have bought a vacuum cleaner!

Archived