Extremeskins

VA Pilot: Redskins need to address GM - not QB - woes

Thinking Skins

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/redskins-need-address-gm-not-qb-woes

Click link for entire article

Redskins need to address GM - not QB - woes

The Virginian-Pilot

© April 18, 2009

At it again: You may have heard that the Redskins, who have the 13th pick in next weekend's draft, are smitten by USC quarterback Mark Sanchez and could try to trade up to gain his services. The news comes about a week after owner Dan Snyder met with Jason Campbell to offer a vote of confidence - Snyder's peculiar way of showing his support, I suppose.

More of same Snyder thought he found his franchise quarterback in Campbell, and before that, in Patrick Ramsey. Now he may be trying for the trifecta at a time when the team could use the draft to fill other needs.

To the point The Skins' real first need? An actual general manager.

The more I think back, the Redskins of today are reminding me of the Bullets of my childhood.

I get the feeling that Danny is more concerned with loyalty to Vinny than to building a successful franchise. I get the impression that he wants us to win, but isn't willing to do the work necessary. Its kinda like he's more in search of finding the names the fans will get excited about ala, Wes Unseld, Michael Adams, Tom Gugliotta, Chris Webber, and Jawian Howard than to building a consistent franchise.

I think its a bit of the opposite extreme though cause back then the word was that Abe didn't want to spend. The word on Snyder is that he's willing to spend too much and thinks that all it takes is a fat check to solve all our problems.

The more I think back, the Redskins of today are reminding me of the Bullets of my childhood.

I get the feeling that Danny is more concerned with loyalty to Vinny than to building a successful franchise. I get the impression that he wants us to win, but isn't willing to do the work necessary. Its kinda like he's more in search of finding the names the fans will get excited about ala, Wes Unseld, Michael Adams, Tom Gugliotta, Chris Webber, and Jawian Howard than to building a consistent franchise.

I think its a bit of the opposite extreme though cause back then the word was that Abe didn't want to spend. The word on Snyder is that he's willing to spend too much and thinks that all it takes is a fat check to solve all our problems.

Exactly. He wants to win. But the big problem is he wants to win his way with his guys. And the truth is he just doesn't seem to get the NFL yet.

Absolutely on point. The Skins are always going to be in a constant state of flux with their players, coaches, and player contracts with Snyder involved in personnel matters. Until he realizes that he's not qualified to do this, the Skins will never be thought of in the same breath with dominant teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, or Giants.

not always - New Yord didn't when they hired Jerry Reese.

Yea ... but I love the ballsy move they made to get Eli ... he will torment the Skins for the next 10 years unless they also grow balls to obtain a tormentor at QB and even the palying field.

:gaintsuck

Vinny is a league-wide joke, but he's not the real problem -- no, Snyder is.

Because he has no interest in a real GM.

That was proven when he brought Vinny back after Marty S kicked him to the curb.

He could have gone after anyone. He certainly could have hired a front office guy with a better rep and track record than Vinny.

But he didn't want anyone else. He wanted Vinny.

He wanted his Yes Man.

#1 Vinny is a lot smarter than anyone on this board.

#2 All you internet / board warriors honestly don't have the fortitude to do or accomplish what Vinny or Snyder has done.

I don't understand all the hate for Vinny and Snyder. They certainly know a lot more than anyone here. They are both self-made men. Become a billionaire and then complain with your wallet, until then people need to STFU about Vinny and Snyder.

All things considered and with the climate of the NFL as it is today, I think they are doing a fine job.

EDIT: They are certainly a lot smarter than the damn Press that covers them.

That was proven when he brought Vinny back after Marty S kicked him to the curb.

He could have gone after anyone. He certainly could have hired a front office guy with a better rep and track record than Vinny.

He wanted his Yes Man.

But does it have to be all or none like that? I'd like to think that if we got a competent GM (or even Vinny) that Snyder could still be more involved than he was with Marty, but not involved to the point where he can just start spreading rumors that directly go against what Vinny and Zorn have been saying.

Actually, a part of me was kinda praying that Vinny would resign if we got Cutler - not out of compency, but out of him not trusting Snyder. If Snyder was the orchistrator of these Cutler talks and these Sanchez talks, then its like going behind the GM's back. I'd think that that can only happen so many times before people stop trusting you.

Stop blaming Vinny ... blame the QB!

Let me be on record of saying I don't like Vinny...but...the whole QB fiasco can be traced back to Mr. Joe Gibbs. He brought in Mark Brunell for several draft picks when the guy was all ready over the hill. He sent Ramsey packing when he was making some strides to get better. He moved up in the draft to take Jason Campbell and the story continues on him. I think all the Campbell lovers say he has had a different coordinator each year for the past 20 years so this is the reason he has shown little progress. So i don't blame Snyder one bit for going out looking for a franchise QB. Joe Gibbs in terms of creating a franchise QB set the Redskins back 10 years through wasted draft picks and personnel decisions.

based on what? Vinny can't do my job, but I'm willing to bet I could do his job.

#2 All you internet / board warriors honestly don't have the fortitude to do or accomplish what Vinny or Snyder has done.

You're right, I don't have the money to buy a team.

I don't understand all the hate for Vinny and Snyder. They certainly know a lot more than anyone here. They are both self-made men. Become a billionaire and then complain with your wallet, until then people need to STFU about Vinny and Snyder.

All things considered and with the climate of the NFL as it is today, I think they are doing a fine job.

How about I just continue to offer my opinion on how well they're doing on building this team. Thats their job and we're their performance evaluators. And guess what - they're not getting the job done!

Holla back when their resume includes a SB trophy, or a SB appearance or a conference title apprerance, or a winning playoff record. Show me something more than two division round losses, a wild card loss, and a number of seasons where we didn't even make the postseason.

So if you don't like hearing Redskins fans criticize Vinny and Dan, you can go watch lifetime. We'll be here talking football.

EDIT: They are certainly a lot smarter than the damn Press that covers them.

5.gif

Vinny, is that you?

He wanted his Yes Man.

A competent toady is not always easy to find. :silly:

Archived