Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Draft - Stop Hyperventilating People

Dan T.

I agree, the first round is critical. Of the 46 Pro-Bowlers selected in the 2005-2008 drafts, 23 (half) were selected in the first round (7 more in the 2nd round). Those early picks are where teams that do their homework most often find the biggest-impact players.

The mid rounds really build a team though. I would say rounds 1-4 are all very important. You have to build quality depth as well as starters.

True, but show my one GM or NFL geek who thinks draft, whatever, not a big deal, overated in terms of having an impact (though the way Vinny trades draft picks maybe he's the exception but I doubt it) Are the Steelers all about free agents?

I understand the point of the post which am gathering is one draft won't make or break you and you need not live and die with each round and player and I agree with that, but few would argue against the idea that multiple drafts don't have much of an impact. Don't all of our division rivals have 10 picks or more this year? Yeah each pick isn't going to be a stud but what if they get 50% of them right?

Arguably teams like the Giants already have an edge on us, and have a prime opportunity to build on that. The Eagles drafted Deshawn Jackson last time, what if they hit on another WR stud? The Giants quietly draft after draft have been loading up especially in terms of their O line and D line, did each draft at the time SEEM consequential, probably not. DID IT become consequential, arguably yeah.

Well said. Couldnt' have said it any better.

The mid rounds really build a team though. I would say rounds 1-4 are all very important. You have to build quality depth as well as starters.

I agree with the draft as a whole being important to building a deep, solid team; the post you quoted was just emphasizing how important the first round is for finding impact players to build that team around. I also update my stats to round off the period of time to the last 5 years.

Good post Dan- I agree. I've never been one for the draft so much. Actually, I had to check yesterday to find out if it was this weekend or next :D

You can get a few good players and you can get some bad ones. Every team drafts good ones AND bad ones- no exceptions. You just won't know for a long time.

As an example- I was probably more excited after last years' draft than I ever have been. Given the performance of our draft class, that pretty much tells you something right there.

Two blue-chip receiver prospects, best TE in the nation, best punter in the nation, record breaking NCAA QB, etc. And it all amounted to a steaming cup of :pooh:

Well said. Couldnt' have said it any better.

Thanks, actually this thread ironically has gotten me more excited about the draft. Maybe some of us are jaded from the last draft not bearing much fruit yet, and hopefully it does. But heck even looking at the last draft, how much talk has it generated to this day about Colt Brennan. And we got some help via Chris Horton, and K Moore playing safety.

Will see about the pass catchers, most don't make it in the first season. I don't notice Steeler fans for example calling Limas Sweed a bust.

Going back for some recent drafts we got people like Sean Taylor, Laron Landry, Chris Cooley -- heck even guys that we aren't all sold on like Jason Campbell still changed the complextion of the team some say for the better some say for the worse but still had an impact and become part of discussion.

So yeah its hard for me to see the draft as boring or inconsequential even with a FA oriented, trade draft pick at times driven FO.

Thoughts?

(Edited to get the correct weekend.)

You realize your attempt to get posters to stop hyperventilating nearly had them passing out?

You make great points, but I think one well timed pick can take an average team and make that team playoff worthy. Case in point, the Redskins get either a starter at Tackle on OL or a DE that has an immediate impact, this team's record could be much better. And last years impact having not been felt thus far may go along way in the future years to providing this team some balance on offense.

Maybe we should trade around to only have 3rd round draft picks.

See what kind of O & D Line depth we can build.

Certainly would be good for competition. The vets on this team I fear don't feel like they are threatened to lose their jobs. Nothing like finding a couple gems that would wake them up. I am sure Horton had his effect last year.

Certainly would be good for competition. The vets on this team I fear don't feel like they are threatened to lose their jobs. Nothing like finding a couple gems that would wake them up. I am sure Horton had his effect last year.

It seems to have worked in Baltimore last year. :box:

Now. Because of our warped addiction to the NFL, the growth of ESPN, the NFL Network, and other 24-hour sports news sources, and the proliferation of draft "experts" who pop up like mushrooms every year, the NFL draft has become THE MOST OVERHYPED SPORTING "EVENT" ON THE PLANET.

The fate of the Washington Redskins will not be determined next weekend. Nor will the future of any other team. So calm down.

(Edited to get the correct weekend.)

You don't realize that a team can be drastically changed through the draft. Maybe not in just one year, but over the course of two to three years a team can change it's fortune with sucessful drafts.

And no the Redskin's fate won't be decided because we never have enough picks to make a big difference. When you have 3-4 picks it's hard to make a difference unless you get lucky (as you put it).

Team's futures ARE decided at the NFL Draft. While the event itself may be overhyped, the importance of drafting well can't be.

You make great points, but I think one well timed pick can take an average team and make that team playoff worthy. Case in point, the Redskins get either a starter at Tackle on OL or a DE that has an immediate impact, this team's record could be much better. And last years impact having not been felt thus far may go along way in the future years to providing this team some balance on offense.

I think you both are overstating things a little bit. Building and improving a team is an incremental process. The draft is one part of that process. Good drafting over time, with luck sprinkled in, can help toward building a strong franchise. But turning around a franchise overnight through one draft? When does that ever happen?

You realize your attempt to get posters to stop hyperventilating nearly had them passing out?

:D

Re: Bobby Beathard:

"For a generation, Beathard's philosophy was to leverage tomorrow, trading future No. 1 picks in search of immediate aces."

Link

I meant more that Beathard tended to trade down. His genius was finding gems in the later rounds. Give him three 3rds over a 1st any day.

I don't recall him "trading future No. 1 picks for immediate aces." I do recall him trading down though...

I was just thinking the other day how odd it was when I first heard of ESPN airing the draft

I remember thinking "wtf, they're hard up for material"... Now it's a 'thing'. Almost as hyped as opening day.

I wonder what the NFL Combine will look like in 10 years? Seriously- think about it.

I was just thinking the other day how odd it was when ESPN started airing the NFL Draft. What was it, 15 years ago or so?

I remember thinking "wtf, they're hard up for material"... and I was a football fan at the time. I can only imagine what non-football fans must have thought.

I was curious so I checked- according to the interwebz they started in 1980. Huh! I could have sworn it began while I was in high school. Oh well

Archived