Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The end all be all 90's rock band thread

Springfield

Here's some good ones :

The Flaming Lips (still going today, hugely underrated)

Butthole Surfers

The Offspring

Sublime

Oasis

Green Day

Foo Fighters (not a huge fan but ehh)

Garbage (Only Happy When It Rains)

The Presidents of the United States of America (the album with Peaches & Lump on it is 8/10 good)

Beck

Blur (Song 2, now famous in car commercials)

The Cranberries (Zombie, now famous in Click)

Weezer

And an opinion, Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands of all time. Yeah I said it.

The 90's as a decade is so hard for me to deal with

At the start of the decade I was rocking out to Guns N Roses: Use Your Illusions, Metallica: Black, Megadeth: Sympany of Distruction, Suicidial Tendencies: Lights Camera Revolution, RATM, Helmet, Cypress Hill, Nine Inch Nails and Red Hot Chili Peppers were bumping my radio

And then Nirvana and the naked baby album hit and I was told out with the old and in with the new

So bands like Counting Crows, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Everclear, Bush, No Doubt, Our Lady Peace, Cake, Creed, they were all exciting and new and excellent to me I bumped them

But the album of the decade to me wasn't even a rock album, that was Dr Dre's The Chronic

It's almost like you need to go year by year in the decade since it was so different as time went on

I really don't want anyone who graduated high school after 2003 telling me about rock in the 90s.

---------- Post added September-22nd-2011 at 09:00 AM ----------

The 1990s is the decade that the independent music label matured. All of the grass-roots and local work put in by punk rockers in the late 70s and early 80s to launch independent labels and show in fact that it could be done really blossomed in the 90s.

These labels created a channel for bands to go mainstream that just didn't exist in previous decades. 1, bands could sign to these indy labels and get financed to make a record and go on a small tour. Being able to stick together, play together, and get better. 2, these Indy labels did a great job of changing the public's taste in music.

Every band that was worth listening to in the 1990s started their life on an independent label.

When it's all said and done, the independent label was punk music's great gift to the industry.

Could say the same for Nirvana had Alice in Chains not come first.

Neither statement is true. Alice In Chains was marketed as a metal band when they broke out on to MTV... MTV was desperate to find the next Metallica at the time. AIC didn't get labeled as "grunge" until after Nirvana.

Pearl Jam would have broken regardless. They were too talented not to. And the secret about Pearl Jam, that should be obvious but is not, is that they are not and never were a grunge band.

Neither statement is true. Alice In Chains was marketed as a metal band when they broke out on to MTV... MTV was desperate to find the next Metallica at the time. AIC didn't get labeled as "grunge" until after Nirvana.

Pearl Jam would have broken regardless. They were too talented not to. And the secret about Pearl Jam, that should be obvious but is not, is that they are not and never were a grunge band.

True, but anyone coming out of Seattle at the time got the label whether they wanted it or not. Kind of like Tesla or GNR being labeled as hair bands even though they were more rooted into the 70s.

---------- Post added September-22nd-2011 at 10:07 AM ----------

Also Alice in Chains already had the "look" down. Alice brought the attention to that city. If it wasn't Alice not getting noticed first, Pearl Jam would have been next. Nirvana wasn't going to get noticed first.

"Grunge" was the worst word in the entirety of 1990s pop culture. It meant four years of girls in baggy, too-large flannel shirts that obscured absolutely everything I wanted to ogle. Yay to the music, boo to the culture!

I think hormonal adolescents tended to culturally incorporate only the worst shoe-gazing "look at me, I'm so messed up so let's wallow" impulses from the music of the day. As the music had a lot of that, the well was deep. Watching middle-class east coast kids try to emulate the Seattle garage genius mindset on a sunny, humid 100-degree summer day was uncomfortable -- though more so for them, since they were wearing jeans and long-sleeve flannel button downs in Maryland in July.

That said, a lot of the music was totally different in tone and reach from what preceded it. I think I truly "got it" for the first time thanks to HFS in the very early 1990s. Once "grunge" hit full-force it was easy to focus on the fuzzy timbre of the music, but looking back it was actually surprisingly melodic and creatively structured. And it seems to me that we have lost the value of that particular balance in popular music. You can find plenty of melody but few artists who get any airplay seem to care at all about doing interesting things. I think even the 80s had a higher score on the interesting-things scale.

Looking at the late 90s, it was pretty interesting. Big-band/swing/hot jazz got big for a while, that odd ska-punk-grunge thing happened, etc. And of course, a fiendish cabal of teen female soloists and boy bands began unleashing their plans for an inter-millennium reign of musical terror. I really don't think rock has ever recovered from that.

(Trophy unlocked: "post in 90's rock band thread without mentioning a single band.")

[/color]Also Alice in Chains already had the "look" down. Alice brought the attention to that city. If it wasn't Alice not getting noticed first, Pearl Jam would have been next. Nirvana wasn't going to get noticed first.

This is simply not true. AIC had little to nothing to do with the proliferation of Sub Pop bands and the grunge genre. They were an effect, not a cause.

eh, believe what you want I guess.

I suppose 90% of the board then, can stay out of the Best Album of the '70s thread. Seriously, you don't have to pump yourself up.

I enjoy plenty of bands from the 70s but I generally stay out of 70s bands threads. And if I do post an opinion I defer to people like PCS or Jumbo who actually lived the decade and were there to see it unfold.

I know that really rubs you the wrong way because you've really tried to position yourself as some sort of authority and/or expert on 80s and 90s culture, which is somewhat strange. But I digress, I'm entitled to my opinion.

I enjoy plenty of bands from the 70s but I generally stay out of 70s bands threads. And if I do post an opinion I defer to people like PCS or Jumbo who actually lived the decade and were there to see it unfold.

I know that really rubs you the wrong way because you've really tried to position yourself as some sort of authority and/or expert on 80s and 90s culture, which is somewhat strange. But I digress, I'm entitled to my opinion.

No, I fully agree on your statement. I am in no way trying to argue I lived through the decade at an age old enough to appreciate the music as it came out, I'm just saying you don't have to pump yourself up. If I wanted to know what it was like to go from 80's metal to Nevermind, you'd probably be one of the first people on the board I'd ask because you've shown in the past you have legitimate knowledge on the situation (no surprise since it occurred when you were a senior in HS/college). Certainly more than me.

Hey, I listen to stuff from all eras, I try to take in as much knowledge as I can from just listening to the music. I also try to research as much about the progression of music as I can, I find it very interesting. Obviously I'm not going to be able to tell you what a wiz like LKB can but...If you take the time to learn how music has progressed and listen to the stuff, why shouldn't you be able to have a legitimate opinion on an album that came out in 1971? I'm not going to discuss the pop culture side of it because that, you had to be there to experience.

I'm sure Jack White could tell my parents 10x more about what Zeppelin did for modern rock than they could.

Music is music is all I'm saying, you can always listen to it.

No beef. :cheers:

Foo Fighters, Offspring, Rage, Primus, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith was still relevant, Alice in Chains, Beastie Boys were a blend of rock and rap, Beck, Bloodhound Gang, Blur had that one song, Bush, Butthole Surfers, Cake, Chemical Brothers (techno rock), Everclear (some songs), Filter, maybe Fatboy Slim (again, some songs), Fuel, Garbage, Gorillaz (I believe sunshine in a bag was at the end of the 90s), Green Day (back when they were good), GNR was still relevant in the 90s, Harvey Danger had the one song, HED PE, Incubus, Jimmys Chicken Shack, Jimmy Eat World (some songs), Linkin Park (when they were good), Lo-Fidelity All Stars had the one song, not sure if Lit or Lords of Acid would qualify, Metallica (when they were good), Korn, NIN, NoFX, Oasis (some songs), Orgy, Static X, Pixies, Powerman 5000, Presidents of the US, Prodigy, Radio Head, Rammstein, Rancid, Reel Big Fish (more ska tho), Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, STP, System of a Down, Taproot, Tool, Three Days Grace, not sure if Third Eye Blind would qualify, same with Wallflowers, Toadies, Violent Femmes, Weezer, White Stripes (fellin love w/ a girl is late 90s I believe), White Zombie, 311 (when they were good)

that's all I got. mostly alphabetical order since I just scanned my i-tunes to answer this. Nirvana, Rage, Foo Fighters, Offspring, Green Day and White Zombie were probably my favorites.

Reading threads like this makes me miss my high school days (94-98) where there was a whole lot less responsibility in my life, and music was a big deal. Summers just hanging out in someone's basement with MTV videos playing in the background...

Anyway, I digress. A lot of good music being listed here, many opinions I don't agree with, but that's the beauty of these threads. To mention two songs in particular that I haven't seen yet, I really enjoyed how mellow a lot of the early 90's was. The songs that jump to mind are No Rain by Blind Melon and What I Am by Edie Brickell, which I know was a late 80's song but got significany airplay into the early 90's. I really enjoyed relaxing with stuff like that playing in the background, before I entered the mid 90's and started getting more into the Offspring/Green Day sort of stuff.

Also, here's to BMG's 11 for the price of 1 deals.

One more thing, I really didn't appreciate the 90's as they were happening, not as much as I should have. Part of that was probably my dad's fault as he incessantly played oldies and complained about "today's music" and all. But as I've gotten older, I've realized that the decade had a lot to offer, and like many of you, I'm trying to ignore the techno craze which started around 1997, followed by the rise of the boy bands.

I recently dug up an old notebook where I had written down a bunch of songs and bands to try to win the "Top 11 at 11" contest on HFS. I did that a bunch of times but never won. It was weird to look at names like the Toadies, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Silverchair, Garbage, Local H, the Circle Jerks, etc. and think that when I had written them down, they were new and popular :ols:

I don't think I knew what a one-hit wonder was until I was at least 16. As far as I knew, anyone who was on the radio was and would be immensely famous for the rest of eternity.

Reading threads like this makes me miss my high school days (94-98) where there was a whole lot less responsibility in my life, and music was a big deal. Summers just hanging out in someone's basement with MTV videos playing in the background...

Anyway, I digress. A lot of good music being listed here, many opinions I don't agree with, but that's the beauty of these threads. To mention two songs in particular that I haven't seen yet, I really enjoyed how mellow a lot of the early 90's was. The songs that jump to mind are No Rain by Blind Melon and What I Am by Edie Brickell, which I know was a late 80's song but got significany airplay into the early 90's.

IIRC, Edie Brickell got really big my sophmore year, which would have been ~1990 or 91. I remember someone trying to convince everyone he smoked pot with her and had it on audio.

It's interesting that her name never really comes up in the one-hit-wonder discussions, it really should.

And your point about appreciating the 90s is right on. Nobody did. We just all thought it was the evolution of things, and that bands like Fugazi and Nirvana and Rage and Soundgarden and AIC and the Pixies were just what came next. We didn't realize we lived the best decade in rock history outside of the late 1960s. Even then, I think the 90s was more prolific.

The music business changed in the 90s. There were just as many good songs as in earlier decades, but albums no longer sold the same, and the music biz no longer supported anyone who was not the immediate new, hot thing. The bands did not get to stay together and produce for years.

With that said, I would go with

Nirvana

RHCP

Sublime

Pearl Jam

Beastie Boys

Beck

REM

Green Day

Nine Inch Nails

Radiohead

the 90s ruled for rock music. There were so many great bands like Tool, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, nirvana, Metallica, ect, ect.

There were also a ton of lesser known bands that were really good like Egypt, Follow for Now, Urban Dance Squad, The Melvins and so many more.

The music business changed in the 90s. There were just as many good songs as in earlier decades, but albums no longer sold the same, and the music biz no longer supported anyone who was not the immediate new, hot thing. The bands did not get to stay together and produce for years.

With that said, I would go with

Nirvana

RHCP

Sublime

Pearl Jam

Beastie Boys

Beck

REM

Green Day

Nine Inch Nails

Radiohead

It's too bad Oasis never reached the heights of their Definitely Maybe again. And Morning Glory, another fantastic album.

Archived