Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The end all be all 90's rock band thread

Springfield

I want to hear about rock bands from the 90's. I want to hear about the rock bands that were popular when rock was actually relevant. I really want to hear about the bands that rocked out in the 90's. I want to hear about bands that everyone had heard about, not some no name bands that never got a deal.

The 90's was the best decade in my lifetime for rock. I listened to DC101 and WHFS non stop in my teenage years. In the late 90's, something happened and I started listening to rap. Maybe just because it was cool, that is beside the point.

I am of the personal opinion that the 90's rock band craze was completely the fault of Nirvana. Without them, I think that the 90's would have taken a completely different path. Nirvana is the bridge between hair bands and the awesome music that came out of the 90's. Especially the first half of that decade.

With the purpose of this thread, I'm hoping that some will come up with awesome 90's rock songs that I had forgot about and also I am hoping that most will agree that Nirvana lead the bridge to "modern rock".

This shouldn't include rock from the 2000's because most of that is pop rock. Admit it... rock went soft after the Backstreet Boys took over.

What does ES think? What was the course of rock in the 90's?

Seven Mary Three (SM3)

Third Eye Blind (Still one of my favorite complete albums)

Better than ezra

Dishwalla

Faith No More (Although Epic came out in '89, but I really liked Album of the Year)

Oasis

RATM (Probably opened more teens eyes to political issues than any other thing in the 90's)

Third Eye Blind for sure

Linkin Park, Goo Goo Dolls, REM, Rage, Alice in Chains, Sublime, RHCP, System, Green Day, Offspring, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Barenaked Ladies, Hootie and the Blowfish, No Doubt, Creed, U2, 311, Counting Crows, Matchbox 20, and Smashing Pumpkins

In no particular order...those are a bunch of the bands I remember listening to throughout the 90s, even though my mom flipped when she found Offspring and Limp Bizkit CDs :hysterical:

I love 90s music...

The two bands that I agree from the above two posts that were very influential to the 90's rock movement are Rage Against the Machine and Bush.

I think that 311 was a new direction and had a lot to do with the 2000's movement. Third Eye Blind opened people's eyes to a more pop feel with "Semi Charmed Kind of Life". Oasis, while popular in the 90's... let the door open for bands like Radiohead and then Coldplay in the 2000's. Live was pop rock, although it's more rock compared to today's standards. Cake is plain old pop. Lit is more of the late 90's pop punk scene.

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Dream Theater

Alice and Chains and Soundgarden in a second. I'll take those two. I don't know who Dream Theater is meaning that they didn't have enough airplay to qualify for my original thought... bands who were popular rock acts during the 90's.

my mom flipped when she found Offspring and Limp Bizkit CDs :hysterical:

I remember my mom finding a friends copy Motley's Shout At The Devil they'd left over at the house. I knew they were the **** by her reaction. :D

I musta went through 10 copies of it as mom had a habit of throwing out that 'disgusting devil music'. :hysterical:

Alice and Chains and Soundgarden in a second. I'll take those two. I don't know who Dream Theater is meaning that they didn't have enough airplay to qualify for my original thought... bands who were popular rock acts during the 90's.

Half the board knows who DT is. It's not our fault you're musically challenged. :silly:

Third Eye Blind for sure

Linkin Park, Goo Goo Dolls, REM, Rage, Alice in Chains, Sublime, RHCP, System, Green Day, Offspring, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Barenaked Ladies, Hootie and the Blowfish, No Doubt, Creed, U2, 311, Counting Crows, Matchbox 20, and Smashing Pumpkins

In no particular order...those are a bunch of the bands I remember listening to throughout the 90s, even though my mom flipped when she found Offspring and Limp Bizkit CDs :hysterical:

I love 90s music...

No offense homegirl but you are a way bit young on this. Many of your picks are very weak. Goo Goo Dolls... complete pop. Barenaked Ladies... very progressive pop. Hootie... they aren't rock at all. U2, don't mention them. Matchbox 20... same light as the Goo Goo Dolls. System of the Down were in the 2000's (at least when the became popular). Creed? Too Jesus freak for the 90's, leave that stuff for animated movies. Linkin Park? They came out in the 2000's.

A lot of the bands you mentioned, I like. Not for what they have contributed to the 1990's rock movement though. Most of them, didn't contribute most of their stuff to the 90's scene.

The only bands I can agree with you, based on the premise of my OP are... Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sublime and 311 (to a very minor extent).

I can go for Pearl Jam...

Back to the OP. Bands like Peal Jam never would have been anything without Nirvana leading the way.

Nirvana was the first to really break onto the scene, but there were a bunch of bands there with them when it happened. Pearl Jam was bigger than Nirvana then, and still is now (although who knows how that would have changed if Kurt was still alive).

"10" is 13x Platinum. Just sayin.

Is it my fault that the rest of the listening public is musically challenged?:)

Dream Theater has become a successful progressive metal band, despite the drop in popularity of the genre since the mid-1970s. Although the band has had a few successful hits (notably "Pull Me Under" in the early 1990s, which received extensive MTV rotation), they have mostly stayed underground for their career.

The band is well known for the technical proficiency of its instrumentalists, who have won many awards from music instruction magazines. Dream Theater's members have collaborated with many other notable musicians. Guitarist John Petrucci has been named as the third player on the G3 tour six times, more than any other invited guitarist, following in the footsteps of Eric Johnson and Robert Fripp.

The band's highest selling album is the gold selling Images and Words (1992), which reached #61 on the Billboard 200 charts.[1] Both the 1994 release Awake and their 2002 release Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence also entered the charts at #32 and #46 respectively and received mostly positive reviews. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence also led to Dream Theater becoming the initial band reviewed in the Music Section of Entertainment Weekly during its opening week of release, despite the magazine generally preferring more mainstream music. In 2007, Systematic Chaos entered US Billboard 200 at #19. Dream Theater has sold over two million albums in the U.S., and over 8 million records worldwide. The band has finished recording their tenth studio album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings, which is scheduled for release on June 23.

bush was and is still one of my favorite bands. i dont care what people think of them now but i am a huge korn fan. i also loved the chili peppers, soundgarden, and tool.

Glad you mentioned Tool. They only really had one hit song from the 90's. Scary ass music video at that. Crazy ass Tool.

Archived