Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial: Portis is better than Westbrook OFFSEASON THREAD

Rocky52Mc

05eagles.600.jpg

Yep, yep, we can actually use a break around here!

Portis is BETTER then Westbrook, and the Eagles suck ****!

I was playing Madden with my bud, Redskins vs. Eagles, and I always beat the **** out of this kid. Well, turns out, he got some plays in and he won the game. So we start arguing, and he tells ME that Westbrook is the all around better running back.. :eaglesuck

You don't tell that to a Redskins fan or even a fan who knows football. So here I go and I'll prove the damn point.

Clinton Portis is better then Brian ***** Ass Westbrook.

b_westbrook_071216_IA.jpg

First and foremost, I'll get to the damn point. Westbrook can't block for ****, and Portis just happens to be the BEST pass blocking running back in the damn LEAGUE. :eaglesuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dagF3Xoyq3Q

Portis can run the ball like a damn MAN and Westbrook can't run the rock for his damn life in a pass happy offense. Imagine if Portis had an offense that was so pass effective that the lanes were heavily huge! When Westbrook hears the words "Between the tackles" he imagines himself getting sandwitched between two tacklers. When Portis hears those very words, he imagines running straight through the gut of a ****ty defense. :eaglesuck

The edge I give to Westbrook is in the passing game. Because he catches a ton of passes and this is where his value comes into place. Honestly, this is only because of the Eagles retarded offense. If they played football, they would be running the ball more, and Westbrook would be playing like ****, like he does when they handoff to him. Sure, you can argue "hey! but Portis runs the ball a lot in this offense! And if Westbrook got that much carries he'd have just as many yards!" No. Westbrook lays off the hard play, the touches, the carries and therefore he's more durable and his body has less damage on it unlike Portis. Where Westbrook can simply take a dump and run it out of bounds, Portis is left running up the gut and getting slammed left and right and usually his plays end with 2 defenders smacking helmets and attempting to demolish him. :eaglesuck

Stat time:

Both of these players came in the league in the same year.

Portis:

Games: 100

Carries: 2052

Career rushing: 9,202

TD's: 72

AVG: 4.5 - Portis get's the lead here for more overall caries with a slightly worse avg by .1

Catches: 233

Career receiving: 1,906

TD's: 4

AVG: 8.2

Total TD's: 76

Total Yardage: 11,108

Westbrook:

Games: 99

Carries: 1247

Career rushing: 5,721

TD's: 36

AVG: 4.6

Catches: 401

Career Receiving: 3,609

TD's: 28

AVG: 9.0

Total TD's: 64

Total Yardage: 9,330

Conclusion:

Portis is ****ing better overall ANYDAY.

:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck

This ain't no :saber:

Westbrook is a better fit in the WCO in my opinion, this is why he is the better all around back in that system.

So from a physical and statistical point, you'd argue that Wesbrook is actually a better football player then Clinton Portis? Are you nuts?

So from a physical and statistical point, you'd argue that Wesbrook is actually a better football player then Clinton Portis? Are you nuts?

Well keep in mine that Westbrook wasn't a starter when he first arrived in the league. This is why the numbers are a little misleading and should be based on most recent years. Having said that, I take nothing away from Portis and if given a better QB who knows what kind of numbers he would put up? I'd still take Westbrook in the WCO cause he's capable of putting up 1000/1000.

There really is no comparison except that WB is better in the passing game like you said.

Portis is the better all around football player, though, and I don't need numbers to tell me that. A simple eyeball test will suffice.

Portis is better the BW? Portis's bark is bigger than his bite, WB does his talking on the field, they both are lousy short yardage backs, and biggest compliment that Portis ever gets is his blocking, sorry but you can teach most backs to be adequate in the blocking aspect of the game, give me a back who can get the tough yards and make the big catches out of the backfield. WB is a big play back Portis is not!

Portis made his bones in Denver along with every other so so back, he's averaged less YPC with us than almost every starting RB in the league, he does give a good interview though.:cool2:

How DARE you come onto a Redskins message board and speak highly about one of our players!!!! You think using fancy colors will change our minds that absolutely everyone on our team sucks?

Fool! :chair:

It doesn't even matter what the stats say, Portis is without question the better of the two.

CP came in the league and was a big play, smaller, slasher type RB. Same thing with Westbrook. Portis not only started his first year, he put up 1500 yards. Not even guys like Chris Johnson have been able to do that.

After two years of running in a system that best utilized his talents (with a ridiculous 5.5 ypc a game).

When he got traded to the Skins, he was asked to COMPLETELY change his game, and become a 'in between the tackles,' 25-30 carries a game, 'power' back. Rather than Gibbs and crew adjusting their offense to best utilize his talents (60-yd TD first Skins carry), they forced him to adjust.

What does he do? Adjust his game entirely, and still put up 1200+ yards rushing a season.

As for Westbrook, he got to take his time, learn the system, and slowly come onto the scene, having a couple of big years and consistently being injured as well.

If Westbrook was asked to change his running style to the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what he has known/is best suited for (like CP had to), he would've already been out of the league. Oh and the Eagles would've been looking to draft a RB early a couple of years earlier.

Instead, they're very likely to pick a RB in the first round of the draft, even though they've already traded a 3rd rounder last year for Booker and have spent a couple of 2nd rounders on RBs (Hunt, Moats) in recent years.

Portis & WB are both excellent backs, but I would imagine if you polled the other 30 teams defensive coordinators on who they have to game plan more for, most of them would say WB. DCs first goal in stopping the Redskins is Moss, and for the Eagles it's WB, by far.

Portis is still a hard running back that is going to get positive yards every carry, but he's not going to break any long runs for TDs the way he did when he was younger. And, he's average at best as a receiver.

WB has extreme difficulty staying healthy, is definitely more of a shifty vs. power back, isn't the best choice for short yardage situations and shouldn't be expected to run the ball 25+ times a game (not that AR would ever do that anyway).

All told though, there's no doubt that WB is the perfect style of RB for his team, whereas CP is not ideally suited for a WCO. So that, IMHO, gives the nod to WB as the better back, especially within the past 3-4 years.

PF

If Westbrook was asked to change his running style to the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what he has known/is best suited for (like CP had to), he would've already been out of the league. Oh and the Eagles would've been looking to draft a RB early a couple of years earlier.

Instead, they're very likely to pick a RB in the first round of the draft, even though they've already traded a 3rd rounder last year for Booker and have spent a couple of 2nd rounders on RBs (Hunt, Moats) in recent years.

Homerism is fine, but the above is plain silly. So, you don't think the Steelers or Titans would pick up WB and try and get him to fit in their offense? Players change their "style" all the time. Just because WB is not a 30-carry per game back that pounds it between the tackles, doesn't mean he isn't a ridiculously talented RB.

They are very likely to pick up a RB, although I'd be shocked if they picked one up in the 1st round (AR likes fat guys). However, the Booker fiasco was a 4th and the others (Hunt/Moats) were 3rds, just to set the record straight.

PF

It comes down to the stats. We always know Westbrook as the Redskins killer and he definitely is not afraid to run between the tackles. Portis is a slasher and when he is 100 percent is one of the top 3 or 4 backs in the league. both have been injury prone that last couple of years but I still would put my load on CP.

Hail!!!!!

quote=THE HAMMER'IN HOG;6300597]Portis is better the BW? Portis's bark is bigger than his bite, WB does his talking on the field, they both are lousy short yardage backs, and biggest compliment that Portis ever gets is his blocking, sorry but you can teach most backs to be adequate in the blocking aspect of the game,

Portis on a bad year gets 1200+ yards and is not an adequate blocker but arguably the best blocking running back in the league. Being adequate and great are totally different

give me a back who can get the tough yards and make the big catches out of the backfield. WB is a big play back Portis is not!

Westbroke is not getting you any tough yards, he is only effective in the open field. Portis at times does not produce in short down situations but he can definitely get tough yards. He also has had to run the ball with Mark Brunell as his QB, if Westbroke had to do that he probably wouldn't be alive today.

Portis made his bones in Denver along with every other so so back, he's averaged less YPC with us than almost every starting RB in the league, he does give a good interview though.:cool2:

Yes Denver has made running backs look good in there systembut tell me what running back since Portis left that has put up those numbers in Denver. The closest wast still 351 yards away from Clinton, and what have they done since leaving Denver. Portis' worst full season was 1262 yards. Does Westbroke even know what a full season is.[/

Westbrook is a great receiving running back but that is it, he is not a great running back or a great blocker. Portis is a very good receiver but is not thrown too often. He is a great running back and a great blocker. I'll take his corky personality and his off the wall comments. He stays out of trouble and he leaves everything on the field. CP is the man, and as Skins fans even if you thought the comparison is close between he and Westbroke you should give the edge to Clinton based on your fanhood!

Stats for the last 3 years for each player, which is telling of their current abilities:

Portis

Rushing: 794car / 3272yds / 4.1ypc / 27TD

Receiving: 92 rec / 777yds/ 8.4ypc / 0TD

Total yds: 4049 yds (4.6 yds/touch)

Longest run: 38 (TD), 2006

Longest catch: 74

Lost fumbles: 8

Westbrook:

Rushing: 751 car / 3486 yds / 4.6 ypc / 23TD

Receiving: 221 rec / 1872 yds / 8.5 ypc / 14TD

Total yards: 5358 yds (5.5 yds/touch)

Longest run: 71 (TD)

Longest reception: 57 (TD)

And saying WB can't block is nonsense. He is actually very good at picking up the blitz, which is one of the reasons he plays almost every down. Of course I never understood the infatuation with a RB's blocking abilities (unless he's a FB). Seems to me they need to be able to chip and to cut DE or blitzing LB. If you're relying on a star RB to block seriously block, that's not good.

Archived