Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial: Portis is better than Westbrook OFFSEASON THREAD

Rocky52Mc

westbrook is a scarier player than portis, but in terms of the whole package ill stick with portis. portis is a better blocker, hes more durable, he can carry more times per game, and hes tougher to bring down.

westbrook is obviously a better receiving threat, and more of a homerun threat, but again, in terms of full package, give me portis.

You take out contract considerations, Clinton Portis is the better back IMO.

Put Portis on the Giants. Success. Put Portis on the Eagles. Success. Put Portis on the Cowboys. Success.

Put Westbrook on the Giants. Probably a #2 back. Put Westbrook on the Redskins. Probably a failure. Put Westbrook on the Cowboys. Possibly success.

Westbrook's just lucky to be in the exact system that he fits.

westbrook is a scarier player than portis, but in terms of the whole package ill stick with portis. portis is a better blocker, hes more durable, he can carry more times per game, and hes tougher to bring down.

I think before he came to DC he was, by leaps and bounds. Since he's been in DC he's been misused and is not near the RB he used to be. I believe defenses are more concerned with moss, then cooley before him. Not to say he isn't still very good, b/c he is, just not top-5 in the league, IMO.

Are you guys serious? Portis is hands down better than Westbrook( and I like Westbrook I went to school with him and his brother at DeMatha). Do you really think Westbrook would survive with us? Thats like saying Reggie Bush is better than Portis. Westbrook and Bush are not real runningbacks, they are rb/wr. This year Portis will be in the top 20 all time. Do people realize this? And Portis is a top 5 back. Only AP is better thats it. The 1st half of last year we all saw what Portis can do when used right and in a offense that has a passing threat. He was 300 yards in front of AP. I see some of you mentioned how Portis had to change his whole style when he came here, but I dont think the majority understands this. He changed everything and still is getting 1300 plus yards a season with us. Put Westbrook, LT or anyother back that you think is so good with us and then all of you would be calling them overrated like you do CP. None of them run hard Like Portis does and he does it against 8-9 in the box. And did one of you actually say Brandon Jacobs is better? He is the softest rb in the leauge. I have no respect for him. He admitted he was scared of Sean Taylor, and he ran soft until my man ST died. ST use to rock his ass. I have no respect for a 6'4 260lb rb that admits he is scared of another player. Get out of here with that crap.

Firstly and Lasty!: Clinton Portis is better than any running back in this league!

Yeah, Yeah, I can already hear the L Thomlinson, L Johnson conversations stirring up. I will never figure out why people love to remain so far in the dark about the most obvious things. Put any of those guys in NFC East for 8 games a year and see if they bring in 1,000 yards per, HAA!!! CP 26 will get you 1,500! Not to mention being the #1 blocking back in the league, having great hands and running solid pass routes, being a solid locker room guy and never having off the field trouble.

My theory on Portis is this: If you have watched the way #26 plays his heart out every minute of every game. If you know how badly injured #26 has to be in order to get him off the field. If you ever think that any back in this league can give you what Clinton Portis gives you, I have three words for you: Welcome to Dallas!!!

Real fans dig 26

HAIL

Are you guys serious? Portis is hands down better than Westbrook( and I like Westbrook I went to school with him and his brother at DeMatha). Do you really think Westbrook would survive with us? Thats like saying Reggie Bush is better than Portis. Westbrook and Bush are not real runningbacks, they are rb/wr. This year Portis will be in the top 20 all time. Do people realize this? And Portis is a top 5 back. Only AP is better thats it. The 1st half of last year we all saw what Portis can do when used right and in a offense that has a passing threat. He was 300 yards in front of AP. I see some of you mentioned how Portis had to change his whole style when he came here, but I dont think the majority understands this. He changed everything and still is getting 1300 plus yards a season with us. Put Westbrook, LT or anyother back that you think is so good with us and then all of you would be calling them overrated like you do CP. None of them run hard Like Portis does and he does it against 8-9 in the box. And did one of you actually say Brandon Jacobs is better? He is the softest rb in the leauge. I have no respect for him. He admitted he was scared of Sean Taylor, and he ran soft until my man ST died. ST use to rock his ass. I have no respect for a 6'4 260lb rb that admits he is scared of another player. Get out of here with that crap.

:notworthy:applause::applause: Well Done, Now can everyone else fall in line

I like you're enthusiasm but this thread is a little bombastic. I don't think anyone can argue that Brian Westbrook has achieved more as a running back than Portis has. But they are different players and have different strengths. Westbrook is a smart player who excels in the system the eagles use. His quickness is such that he gets into space and makes plays, runs solid routes, and catches the ball well.

Could he achieve the success Portis has transitioning to a physical, between the tackles rushing attack that the Redskins use? Absolutely not, only the most delusional eagles fans would think so.

Two different but excellent players. Statistically, Portis has certainly had a better career running the ball. Let's leave it at that.

So even with you hand picking seasons all you have established is Portis has lost more fumbles, has a lower YPC, scored less touchdowns, and produced fewer total yards. Maybe you should swap 04 and 06 with his first two years in Denver that way you'd really prove your point.

Oh and just stop with the "He's the greatest blocking RB of all-time", honestly nobody cares. People want a 13 million dollar RB to actually break a 30 yard TD run once in a while. People want to see a supposed top 3 NFL RB post in the playoffs, look at those stats if you want a good laugh.

Oh and here's the most important stat you over looked, since 04

BW 46-33-1 and 5-3 in the playoffs with a SB birth

CP 37-43 and 1-2 in the playoffs

Ok... and winning only has to do with how the running back performs.. lets just assume that running the ball is the only way they won... give me a ****ing break. that is the dumest thing i have ever heard. i love how barely anyone on here is backing up OUR OWN PLAYER to a hated enemies player.... some fans you are

Ok... and winning only has to do with how the running back performs.. lets just assume that running the ball is the only way they won... give me a ****ing break. that is the dumest thing i have ever heard. i love how barely anyone on here is backing up OUR OWN PLAYER to a hated enemies player.... some fans you are

Maybe you haven't watched many games but our players haven't won too much. I love how blind ignorant homer fans, such as yourself, think anyone wearing a Redskin uniform is some how a mythical knight from the kingdom of Touchdown. If we have all these great players, to many to list, then explain to my apparent uneducated football self how we are 37-43 since 04??? Oh and BTW I'm a Redskin fan not a player fan. I am not affraid to call out poor play and I will not pretend, like so many of you, that our players are simply something they are not. You keep on living with your head in the sand, it's safer that way.

Im sorry but im a redskins fan and i have to say that westbrook is better then CP. whoever sayd westbrook cant block is defenitly making a biased assumption towards him because if you watch their games you will defnetly see westbrook blocking well. The only thing i hear bad about westbrook is how he cant punch it in in short yard situations and neither can portis. I have never heard noone ever complain about westbrooks blocking.

The only reason why portis is hyped up as the best blocking back is because he throws his body into it when he blocks and he takes out people. other then that i dnt see anything soo special about him blocking compared to other good blocking backs. and noone ever seems to mention how CP does his usual complete miss on a block and gets his qb killed. this happens more the once in a while. I give it to him that he is tough but to call him the best blocking back is a title that is given to him without much proof that is required to make that statement.

As said before westbrook is definetly better catcher. Its funny how ppl are saying that CP would be better on a passing team because things would open up but that is pure bull****. whenever ppl play the eagles all eyes are on westbrook. Yeh the eagles are a pass happy team but do you wanna know who the leading reciever of the eagles has been in the past years...brian westbrook. If that doesnt say something then i dnt know what to say. this is also the same mcnabb that has been criticized and fans who wanted him out just like campbell. The eagles also have a worse recieving core then us so westbrok and portis definetly ahve the same attention giving to eachother.

Westbrook also has the big play ability that portis has lost. He helps put points on the board from catching short catches, and running the ball unlike portis who always has one defender to beat and gets tackled. He definetly doesnt have the moves that westbrook has in the open field and portis definelty contributes to the redskins lack of scoring from a team that the qb has problems, the wrs are too short, and the defense cant get takeaways.

Westbrook also protects the ball way better then cp. Westbrook averages 2 fumbles a year and the highest amount of fumbles he ever had in a season was 3. Whats funny is that CP lowest amount of fumbles he ever had in a season was 3. His season high which was in 2007 was a staggering 6. That should say enough about that.

With that said westbrook is better then CP seeing how he is a threat that to score catching and running the ball and he has the ability to take it in the endzone whenever he gets the ball. This keeps defenses on their heels and opens up the offense to a horrible eagles team that wide recievers core are worse then the skins. CP is good...no doubt...but is overrated by fans . Imagine wll the games we could have won last year if portis was just able to get in 2nd gear and break away from the safety...

there are so many better backs than portis...

LT? Peterson? Gore? Are we forgetting?

Gore?

:doh:

Gore is a decent back but he has a few years before he can be mentioned with CP. Gore is on par with Marshawn Lynch IMO. Not at CPs level yet.

The only thing i hear bad about westbrook is how he cant punch it in in short yard situations and neither can portis.

Portis single handidly ran over the Eagles in a short yardage situation just last year, and he's done it countless other times. I agree that WB stinks in short yardage, but Portis?

CP gets it done on ALL FRONTS. WB is one dimentional.

Portis single handidly ran over the Eagles in a short yardage situation just last year, and he's done it countless other times. I agree that WB stinks in short yardage, but Portis?

CP gets it done on ALL FRONTS. WB is one dimentional.

I can recall portis getting stopped in short yard situations numerous times but what us aid is definetly correct. in the 08 season he definetly made up for that better then he did in the past. so ill only say portis is average in short yard situations, while westbrook sucks. thats the only advantage of having portis over westbrook.

I agree 100%.

BW is good. CP is great.

They'll both be in the HOF.

Neither of them will be in the HOF, UNLESS they go crazy for the next 3-4 years winning their respective team a super bowl or two. When's the last time either of them run a MVP or rushing title? They're both excellent running backs, but not HOF material.

Archived