Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Jason Campbell developing into Joe Montana?

PROSCOUT

joe montana??? really come on bro. The Broncos wanted Quinn and Orton over JC. Kyle frickin Orton bro. All the picks we gave up to get Campbell and we at best could get a

third round pick back.

Repeat after me(slowly): "think outside the box....the past does not equal the present"

So according to you, if another team wants a quarterback, then that quarterback automatically becomes BETTER than Jason Campbell. THAT'S what you have said. Now, doesn't it sound as stupid to you as it does to me.

I really could not care less if Denver chooses Matt Millen over Jason Campbell. I don't care if Chicago chooses Brad Pitt over Jason Campbell. What relevance does that have to someones actual ability?

So the Vikings have not offered to trade for Jason Campbell. That means they think Tavaris Jackson is a better QB than Jason Campbell. According to you thats EXACTLY what it means.

And I still don't understand how you got inside of the Redskins meeting room. How did yu find out that someone offered a 3rd round pick for Jason Campbell? THAT is the all time most rediculous rumor that has been spread lately.

Repeat after me(slowly): "think outside the box....the past does not equal the present"

So according to you, if another team wants a quarterback, then that quarterback automatically becomes BETTER than Jason Campbell. THAT'S what you have said. Now, doesn't it sound as stupid to you as it does to me.

I really could not care less if Denver chooses Matt Millen over Jason Campbell. I don't care if Chicago chooses Brad Pitt over Jason Campbell. What relevance does that have to someones actual ability?

So the Vikings have not offered to trade for Jason Campbell. That means they think Tavaris Jackson is a better QB than Jason Campbell. According to you thats EXACTLY what it means.

And I still don't understand how you got inside of the Redskins meeting room. How did yu find out that someone offered a 3rd round pick for Jason Campbell? THAT is the all time most rediculous rumor that has been spread lately.

id assume that a coach would want the best available quarterback for their team if theyre gonna lose their QB (cutler).

campbell was available. so was kyle orton.

and the broncos took kyle orton because they thought he was better. you can smoke and mirror that all you want with a bunch of subjective questions, but denver wanted the best QB they could snag, and they didnt think campbell was good.

neither does our front office.

Joe Montana won a superbowl in his third season. That was during Gibbs first year.

Jason Campbell hasn't even lead this team to the playoffs. 2007 was on Todd Collins. If Jason hadn't gotten injured, odds are he wouldn't have lead this team to the playoffs. This team would've completely tanked after the Taylor tragedy.

id assume that a coach would want the best available quarterback for their team if theyre gonna lose their QB (cutler).

campbell was available. so was kyle orton.

and the broncos took kyle orton because they thought he was better. you can smoke and mirror that all you want with a bunch of subjective questions, but denver wanted the best QB they could snag, and they didnt think campbell was good.

neither does our front office.

and so some man's opinion who is sleeping in Denver tonight, that makes it so? Some guy in Denver says Orton is better than Campbell? That makes it true? Are you pulling my goober or just high?

Actually proscout that isnt what i said at all. In this situation you have Campbell going into year 5 and is suppose to be our " Franchise " QB. In Orton you have a guy that is going into his 4th year with three less starts and has had to battle in camp every year. Orton was a stop gap till they could grab someone else. In Brady Quinn we have no idea really going into his third season.

There all at the same stage in there career in that they havnt done anything of note.

and so some man's opinion who is sleeping in Denver tonight, that makes it so? Some guy in Denver says Orton is better than Campbell? That makes it true? Are you pulling my goober or just high?

Tomorrow, I'm going to post on a few other fans' message boards that I frequent, and ask the same question: Campbell vs. Orton. I'll get some unbaised responses and let you know.

here's a tip: If you think campbell is much, much better than orton, you are sorely mistaken. In the eyes of the outside, non-redskin world, they are a wash.

man... PROSCOUT you cant make a thread like this without expecting serious hate.

that said.... some of it is a valid point. managing a game is an extremely important attribute to have in your field general. JC not throwing many picks is very important. but at the same time, i wish he'd take a couple more calculated risks.

Jason has some growing pains yet, but he is not interception prone and is conservative with the football. This is a very good trait that doesn't show up well in stats except his LACK of interceptions.

Joe Montana threw 31 TD passes in one year, but for the other 15 seasons, he averaged only 16 TD and 8 ints per year. He really only had ONE tremendous SEASON. He is considered the GREATEST because he "managed" the game. That seems to have become a dirty word for some around here. They say that all Campbell can do is "manage" the game. So....SO....and your point is?

Isn't that what a QB does? Manages the game and gives the team a chance to win. Puts people in the right spot to make a play. Keeps his team in the game until something good happens. That sounds like our QB. Jason Campbell manages the game, keeps himself from losing the game, doesn't throw the interception and doesn't mind if others get all the attention. When surrounded by more playmakers, Jason might just be JOE MONTANA.

Here is a comparison of Joe Montana's 5th year and Jasons 4th year.

G com Att per yds per TD int

Joe 16 332 515 64.5 3,910 7.6 26 12 7.6

--

- Jason 16 315 506 62.3 3,245 6.4 13 6

So perhaps Montana's 5th year above is what we can look forward to.

Interesting to note that in Joe Montana's FOURTH year, which is Jason's above year....Montana threw 17 TD passes and 11 interceptions. Jason threw 13 TD and only 6 ints. And Jason never had Jerry Rice!

awesome post

OP, are you straight up smoking crack?

This bum Campbell couldnt carry the dirty sweat socks of the guy who couldnt carry Joe Montana's jock...

Dear god in heaven no wonder the rest of the NFL laughs at us.

was he a bum when he beat New Orleans or tourched Dallas in Texas.

Or was he a bum when teams like Detroit's and Cincinati's D-line was kisking his a** like thay were the giants.

You can't compare stats across generations. This is a passing league now. You can probably put his stats up against Terry Bradshaw also...it doesn't mean anything. And like others have mentioned Joe Montana became the best based on his playoff performances...there are many other QB's that have had better regular season stats.

man... PROSCOUT you cant make a thread like this without expecting serious hate.

Okay, I have two young children who like to watch "iCarly" on Nickelodeon, so unfortunately for me the first thing that came to mind when I saw this post was a scene where Carly addresses a statement made by another character:

miranda-cosgrovex.jpg

"Freddy, you just can't go around using words like hullabaloo and expect people not to hit you!"

I, uh... that's all.

Interesting how the term "game manager" has been transformed over the years. Part of the job of being the QB is to do just that. What differentiates the average QB and the elite QB's is how well they do that AND the other things they have to do. Joe did them all about as well as any QB I've ever seen play. I watched Bart Star,Fran Tarkenton, Len Dawson,Roger Staubauch, and many others but this guy,was amazing in just about every aspect of the game. He could launch a long ball with as much finesse as he did with the shorter passes. Deliver a rifle shot of a pass in between coverage that you would swear had the receiver covered. He seemed so fast in his ability to drop back,read,and let go of the pass to the open receiver. His teammates stated then,and still do now if you ask one of them about Joe,that he was as cool as they get in the huddle when things were stacked against them. If Jason Campbell turns out to be even a bit more than half the QB that Joe was,(and many QB's wish they could be),then I'm a happy Redskins fan.

Archived