Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports:Dallas cops delayed NFL player as relative died

x96bryan10

I thought about starting my thread above talking about Monday morning QB's. The posted Yahoo article reminds me of the analysts that get to judge the action the next day from the comfort of their replays.

That said, my opinion has not changed from my post above. The officer was just a little clueless as to what was going on. Unfortunately, he didn't apply the common sense rule and made a stupid decision not to do what should have been a reasonable decision.

However, one mistake by one cop does not translate into what many comments by posters and the media reference in this case. Just don't call the police if you need help or want to report a crime if you are a victim. That way you won't have to deal with them.

I sincerely hope that that cop was taken off of active duty, because it's frightening to think that there is someone so stupid and bullying trolling around with that much power.

I guess you forgot who was the actual US President for the past 8 years.

What a piece of garbage PIG. What a ********* mouth he had on him. Moats was as polite as he could of possibly been and all he kept saying to him was SHUT YOUR MOUTH. If you watch this video and don't think this police officer is a ********* scumbag then you have problems. Did anyone notice how polite Moats was? I wish he would of took out a piece and shot that little pig right in the face. Say what you want about that comment, they're are good police officers, then there is power tripping little ****y pigs like this piece of trash. Take his badge away and put him on the streets.

"I wish he would of took out a piece and shot that little pig right in the face"...Seriously, man? You have much bigger issues than this douchebag cop.:doh:

Let me guess, your a cop huh? Tell me no because your lying then. There are police officers....then there are scumbags like these who think cause they have a badge and gun they can walk all over whoever, whenever, and whatever they want to do. Put yourself in his shoes like it was your mother then talk to me.

Dude, the guy was referring to the OP who wished Moats would have pulled a gun on the cop. Keep up.

how, because the officer was told someone was about to die? you dont think someone would ever add that to the story to get out of a ticket?

I could see this part of the argument, but soon as he seen the nurses he should have immediatly let it go. I mean really guys the damn officer had confirmation from people inside the hospital,and then another police officer comes to the scene and used good judgement right on the spot,which showed the difference between a good cop and a bad cop. I say bull crap from the officer, and a full investigation is warranted.:mad::mad::mad:

I could see this part of the argument, but soon as he seen the nurses he should have immediatly let it go. I mean really guys the damn officer had confirmation from people inside the hospital,and then another police officer comes to the scene and used good judgement right on the spot,which showed the difference between a good cop and a bad cop. I say bull crap from the officer, and a full investigation is warranted.:mad::mad::mad:

bingo. there are many things that should have made the cop stop for a minute

1. you are out in front of the hospital.

2. everyone is freaking out hysterical about someone dying inside

3. the nurse comes out TWICE to tell you she is about to die.

just follow him in if you need to. write him the ticket from outside of the room if its that big of a deal. but MAN, his mother in law is about to DIE. get over your ego...

just follow him in if you need to. write him the ticket from outside of the room if its that big of a deal. but MAN, his mother in law is about to DIE. get over your ego...

Amen, you gotta look at all the facts which are layed out for you in the video. It seems to me it was a power trip that went bad.

apparently this isn't the first time he's been extremely overzealous. He actually took Zach Thomas' wife to jail for an illegal u-turn, and then for not having proper paperwork. This was during training camp last year. She ended up sitting in jail for 5 hours, and she insists that the paperwork was 5 minutes away.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/032909dnspo1athomas.3ecf949.html

From the article

Judge C. Victor Lander, the city of Dallas' chief municipal judge, said under Texas law a person can be arrested for any Class C misdemeanor citation except speeding and having an open container.

When an officer gives someone a traffic citation, it is in lieu of arrest, Lander said. The officer does have the option of making an arrest, he said.

"It really is giving the individual a break by issuing them a ticket. But it's a break most people get," Lander said.

When an officer does decide to make an arrest for a minor traffic offense, it's usually because of how the person behaved during the traffic stop, Lander said.

"The defense bar refers to it as contempt of cop," Lander said. "If the officer was offended by something the person said or did, they may arrest them."

Dallas police say it is not unusual for an officer to arrest someone who is issued three or more citations during one traffic stop.

“If there are so many violations that it could be viewed that it’s an egregious situation, that person can be arrested,” said Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who oversees the department’s seven patrol divisions.

Based on the five citations she received, Simpson said, an arrest would not be required, but it also generally would not be inappropriate.

“It’s a judgment thing on the cops at that moment,” Simpson said. “The core of what we do is just discretion, and it needs to be that way.”

A couple of things I see here.

1. Perhaps the people of Texas should change their law. In Virginia you could not arrest someone for the five citations. The person simply would have been given five citations and had their car towed. If the person refused to sign the citations than the officer could arrest the person. IMO, I don't like that specific law.

2. The defense bar comment, "contempt of cop", was just plain stupid. Don't blame the police for enforcing the law. If you don't like the law, get the state legislature to change it.

3. Tough to say if this reported incident had something to do with the Moats case. The lady did have lots of traffic violations and the Dallas police did say it is not inappropriate to arrest the person. And, what the heck is Thomas allowing his wife to drive around in a vehicle with so many violations. That said, it could also be a pattern with this officer.

Lastly, both these situations provide just another reason not live in the state of Texas, and home of the pukes.

Update:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9383356/NFL-player-accepts-officer%27s-apology

AP - NFL player accepts officer's apology

DALLAS (AP) - An NFL player said Monday he accepts the apology offered by a Dallas police officer who stopped him with a drawn gun in a hospital parking lot while his mother-in-law was dying inside.

Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that he hopes Officer Robert Powell was sincere in his apology.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV outside Baylor Regional Medical Center in suburban Plano on March 18 after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

The officer pulled out his gun and threatened Moats with jail as the player pleaded to be allowed to go inside the hospital. Moats' mother-in-law died before he got there while Powell wrote Moats a ticket and lectured him.

Powell, who has been placed on paid leave pending an investigation, issued a statement Friday through his attorneys.

"I wish to publicly and sincerely apologize to the Moats family, my colleagues in the Dallas Police Department, and to all those who have been rightfully angered by my actions on March 18, 2009. After stopping Mr. Moats' vehicle, I showed poor judgment and insensitivity to Mr. Moats and his family by my words and actions," Powell's statement said.

Tamishia Moats said she'd like to hear the apology personally, but that she, too, would definitely accept it.

MSNBC TV just reported that the officer has resigned from the DPD.

(no link yet)

Cop who stopped NFL's Moats resigns:

DALLAS – A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot while the player's mother-in-law was dying inside has resigned.

An attorney for Officer Robert Powell said Powell resigned Wednesday over the March 18 incident in which he drew his gun and threatened Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV in the Plano parking lot after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

Moats' mother-in-law died while Powell was ticketing and lecturing him. Powell later issued an apology, which Moats accepted.

The resignation was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_us/nfl_player_stopped

Archived