Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports:Dallas cops delayed NFL player as relative died

x96bryan10

I wonder if the police officer would have acted the way he did had he known Moats was an NFL running back.

Obviously, it would have not gotten the press coverage it did had it been someone else, and the fool might have gotten away with it.

Notice, to Moats' credit, that he never mentioned he was an NFL player.

Posted this in the Tailgate, but it's telling info:

That video is 16:57 long. At 7:40 the hospital staffer advises the officer that a family member is indeed dying. The officer sits quietly in his car for several minutes.

At 12:31 the nurse comes out, and at 12:48 tells the officer that the family member is dying RIGHT NOW. Nearly 2 more minutes go by before the officer allows Moats to go.

In Officer Robert Powell's defense, he truly sounds like a dullard with a low IQ. His brain was likely unable to process the urgent information given to him by several people. He would serve the people of Dallas much better at a desk job at worst, and off the Police force at best.

--

The Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle issues a formal apology to the family, and expresses his embarrassment at how Dallas Police Officer Robert Powell mishandled the situation:

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...ml?nvid=345923

Notice, to Moats' credit, that he never mentioned he was an NFL player.

Yep, that's what made me think about it. I'm sure if he did, it wouldn't have helped him at the moment. However, I think if the cop had time to think about it, he would have hesitated.

Not saying NFL players deserve special treatment. Just saying that the idiot cop would have realized it would put him in more jeopardy acting that way than if it was a random guy.

There are idiots wearing badges everywhere just like there are respectable people wearing them. I've worked in corrections and now juvenile justice for 18 years and have seen my share of a-holes who had the IQ of a turnip that abused their badge and think they're tough because they have one. I have found in my time that the badge carries you alot less than simple respect. If you respect someone then the respect will be returned sometimes several times over. Being fair and learning to quickly handle certain situations in each their own manner goes a long way in making certain things resolve the easiest.

If I were in this situation I would have dismissed them to go on in, ran his plates while waiting for backup and verified at the hospital desk of the situation. Once the hospital verified that they were telling the truth I would have quietly left.

If I were in this situation I would have dismissed them to go on in' date=' ran his plates while waiting for backup and verified at the hospital desk of the situation. Once the hospital verified that they were telling the truth I would have quietly left.[/quote']

That's probably because you'd think rationally, with intelligence and spare the ego trip. Can't say the same for this guy.

He's the cop from Harold and Kumar. He used to pick on the smart kids, and when they became successes, he decided to become a cop so he could still get his.

Slippery slope when you start ignoring the law for perceived right reasons. When can you rightfully and legally break the law. From some of the posts the "My mother-in-law is dying so I am allowed to run the red light" qualifies. Ok, what else qualifies?

On the other side the officer should have handled the situation better and recognized what was going on. A lack of recognition and compassion of what was going on especially after he was told by the hospital staff. Not a good representation by the officer at all.

That said, it is unfortunate that in every profession you have people like this. I mean every profession. Please don't tell me you have not run into someone like this at work, school or in a store. Unfortunately, the guy with the lack of social awareness issues happens to be a cop. I don't blame the profession I blame the person. Hopefully, the guy learns from this and gets some training for it.

This incident doesn't sicken me, it just saddens me. And nice post SlinginSammy. To comment on what you said I can't disagree with the ticket, however. As noted above, when can you simply break the law? Go to court, let a judge throw it out. But, I can just as easily see the other side and not give a ticket.

"a young brotha got it bad cause I'm brown...."

"and not the other color,

so police think they have the authority to kill a minority"

And that was three years before Rodney King.

One of the greatest albums ever made and my first hip-hop record.

Sometimes I wish police officers were required to get college degrees before getting the job.

As if the value of a degree was not diluted enough! lol

Seriously though, I don't think that's particularly relevant. The heads of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia were all 'educated' in Paris and most of the greatest villains of all time (be it the leaders or the 'middle managers' that carried out their schemes) have been 'intellectuals' or at least, 'educated.' The scumbags who shout down people whose views they don't like on college campuses would be but a small example of the fact that such a thing really won't matter.

And it's not racial either (though it often can be and in some interesting ways not just the one image we all have.) I could tell or relate a bunch of stories about white people coming up against bad cops who were themselves white. One of the big problems is that power corrupts and treating your job as if it's a "war on" something (drugs, crime, etc) as opposed to a partner of the community and a guardian is going to make you adversarial to people you come into contact with, especially because some people do lie and/or are scumbags. All of our law and government branches have become militarized (or paramilitarized, if you will.) Citizens are "civilians" and they are...something else? Lords, nobles?

It used to be a cop who is spending all of this time on a traffic stop (I mean, there really isn't anything occupying his time if he's going to dedicate that much to this case) could just as easily have talked to Moats, gone in with him to the hospital and presumed his innocence (in terms of his reason for breaking traffic laws) and simply verified the circumstances and gone back to his job. Instead, he decided to pull a power trip rather than demonstrate intelligence.

But so goes it for agents of the State (any government) in a society that has forgotten that rule of Law does not mean suffocating rule BY endless law and regulation and forgot what 'peace officer' meant as opposed to 'law enforcement.' Our culture has changed so significantly that you are going to see this get worse until people rise up against it on a large scale.

Let me also say it's what happens in a society where the citizens as individuals increasingly abdicate responsibility to someone else. Not every person who asks for power over your life (as if you need to say this) is in it to benefit you. And these people who are the 'authority' will increasingly treat you as the infants you have become (even though 'they' as a political class had a large hand in making you that way.)

Slippery slope when you start ignoring the law for perceived right reasons. When can you rightfully and legally break the law. From some of the posts the "My mother-in-law is dying so I am allowed to run the red light" qualifies. Ok, what else qualifies?

I don't know if it's that much of a slippery slope, just circumstances. Shooting someone is wrong... unless you're in active duty and fighting for your country. That's an extreme case.

Ambulances, police cars, fire trucks, etc. blow through intersections to rush to the aid of others. We should hope that laws, which are instituted to protect us, don't become so stringent that they work against us in times of need.

Listen to the Dallas Police Chiefs public apology for the response to your point. He gets it right... so much of police work is using judgement and common sense.

He said of his officer "His behavior, in my opinion, did not exhibit the common sense, discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit."

There is enough blame to go around

The cop was on edge because the car didnt pull over and everyone ran out of the car when it did stop. He should have been a little smarter and piece it together, but Moat's attitude didn't help either. Sad situation

That's a niave assessment considering there are lots of crazy and bad people in the world. The cop took it a little far but he had a right to be suspicious.

not really given the circumstances. He rolled a red light going into a parking lot at the hospital. he was on his way into the hospital. He parked right at the hospital entrance. Given those circumstances, his story doesn't seem the least bit suspicious....the cop showed incredibly poor judgement and I would hope that he would want a do over in regards to his handling of this unfortunate incident.

There is enough blame to go around

The cop was on edge because the car didnt pull over and everyone ran out of the car when it did stop. He should have been a little smarter and piece it together, but Moat's attitude didn't help either. Sad situation

I just don't see Moats really to blame. He's in a crisis situation, he has minutes to see his mother in law's last moments, and a cop decides to pull him over. He figures he can let the cop know the situation and the guy would help him out, because that's what the job of a police officer SHOULD be - to help. Not to be a robot and decide a ticket is more important than being by a dying woman's bedside.

His attitude at the beginning was one of desperation when he finally realized the jerk wasn't going to budge. Anyone in that situation would become a little stressed, and I think Moats handled it very well and politely for the most part.

I just don't see Moats really to blame. He's in a crisis situation, he has minutes to see his mother in law's last moments, and a cop decides to pull him over. He figures he can let the cop know the situation and the guy would help him out, because that's what the job of a police officer SHOULD be - to help. Not to be a robot and decide a ticket is more important than being by a dying woman's bedside.

His attitude at the beginning was one of desperation when he finally realized the jerk wasn't going to budge. Anyone in that situation would become a little stressed, and I think Moats handled it very well and politely for the most part.

plus it's not like it was a high speed chase for miles. It took less than a minute for the cop to start pursueing and Moats to arrive in the hosptial parking lot.

Yahoo's "Shutdown Corner" blogger comes close to my view on the incident:

An excerpt:

"I'm trying to see the cop's point of view here, but I just can't. Where's the danger? Where's the great risk to society? Did Moats drive to a hospital parking lot as part of an elaborate ruse to get away with cautiously rolling through a red light? At a certain point, doesn't an officer have to step back and say, "What am I doing here? Am I helping or hurting? How does this protect and serve anything other than my own inflated sense of authority?

There had to be something he could do to get Moats out of there quicker. There had to be a better option than to put on 14-minute display of his mighty authority as a police officer."

Complete article, with links to the whole video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Officer-who-detained-Moats-shouldn-t-see-the-str;_ylt=AgmEtnu.HDYHhIdW8cRzO_RDubYF?urn=nfl,150809

Archived