Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone answer a question on 'Los for me?

skins86

I think, for me, the no-hands thing is huge. Look at the DB's with ball skills and decent tackling ability. Asante is a perfect example. That guy can change a game for you. Carlos doesn't possess that skill-set...okay, in fairness, he hasn't shown it yet. I'm intrigued with him though. He will likely play out of his mind this year b/c of the Hall thing and for the simple fact that 2009 is a contract year for him, if I'm not mistaken.

He's a great run supporting Corner, covers well, and he at least gets his chest in the way when the ball hits him in it... :paranoid:

You took the words from my mouth. I am still bitter over the dropped walk in pick six in Seattle. That one play would most likley have advanced us in the playoffs. Did he improve his hands since then? Nope, I can think of at least three drops from the past few years that there is no excuse for because they were right in his hands. If he only had hands he would be a beast. I think its more mental confidence than anything.

I believe it is a few things:

1. He was an extremely high draft pick. Prior to last season, he didn't play like a first rounder. Fortunately, last season he improved greatly.

2. As you said, his hands. Very good corners bat balls down. Legends, like Prime Time, catch them and then return them 60 yards for touchdowns. Huge difference there.

3. Also prior to last year, he seemed very soft. Afraid of contact. In 2006, he literally avoided contact. He improved on that last year--even delivering one or two very violent shots.

4. Nobody likes a whiner.

5. He made a comment a few days that angered some fans again. Something to the effect of "I am playing this season to get paid the big money."

The hands a the major reason. His attitude is next. The reason he wants to get paid is because we drafted him old. Look at his age, he is way older than Hall who has been in the league longer. He wants to get paid because he knows his skills will start going down hill. I would not resign him to a big contract after his rookie one is done because he will be close to 30.

i don't post a lot on here...i'm always reading though and there is a constant theme that im always reading...most recently in the "best/worst 1st draft picks thread"

what is it about carlos rogers that people dont like? why does he not get the credit that i think he deserves?

am i missing something? yeah he has butter fingers...at least he deflecting those passes....not to mention having a season he just had after coming back from the injury he had.

i'm just wondering what it is about this guy that makes people think he's not playing up to par.

it's the bad hands. I'm content with the deflections, but admit I'd b ecstatic if he started catching them

I think a lot of it has to do with his dropped INT against Seattle in the playoffs after the 2005 season. We could've won the game. I think whether people want to admit it or not, that plays a lot into what people think of Los. I'll say this, he does have hands of stone, but he is very good when allowed to be physical with a receiver.

Easy. 2005. Seattle. Playoffs. Second round. Hasselbeck throws the ball right into Rodgers hands and if he holds on its a TD and we are up by 10 and regain momentum. Instead he drops it and we lose the game 20-10.

He hasn't redeemed himself yet.

I think a lot of it has to do with his dropped INT against Seattle in the playoffs after the 2005 season. We could've won the game. I think whether people want to admit it or not, that plays a lot into what people think of Los. I'll say this, he does have hands of stone, but he is very good when allowed to be physical with a receiver.

What did I tell you HUH??? :D

because the drops are heartbreakers. If he catches half the easy interceptions he drops the teams wins two to three more games.

He's a good cover corner and a solid tackler, but the interception ends the drive. It scares the qb, and makes the defense a threat to score or at least give great field position to the offense.

He doesn't deserve the scorn he gets b/c he is good, but greatness is right on the tip of his fingers and he can't quite hold onto it which is really, really frustrating.

What initially soured me on him was his propensity to dance for absolutely no reason in 2006. First game versus the Vikings, Brad Johnson throws a perfect pass to Troy Williamson who has completely burnt Carlos Rogers... And Williamson makes a basketball hoop using his arms and the ball goes right through it. Then Rogers starts dancing. A couple of games later versus the Texans, Andre Johnson has burnt Carlos Rogers and the ball is badly thrown. I forget if it bounced off of Carlos Rogers' helmet or what. But Rogers starts dancing again.

Maybe he's happy that those weren't touchdowns, and he likes to dance when he's happy.

Hate all you want, but the guy played BALL this year. Good thing him and Dhall will be #1, and #2 next year. I believe our secondary can be dangerous with this tandem + landry and horton. As long as Smoot keeps himself away from #1 and #2 WR's....we will be fine.

He'll need to catch at least 8 picks, and return 1-2 for scores if he wants to get paid like DeAngelo.

:2cents:

This is absurd.

The most picks Hall himself ever had in a season was 6. He also only has 2 returned for scores in his entire career.

While not being as tight in coverage and giving up more big plays and TDs.

Just because we overpaid for Hall, doesn't mean we have to low ball Rogers.

Maybe because we drafted him in front of names like Shawne Merriam, Demarcaus Ware, Jammal Brown, Rodney White, Jason Tuck,Marrion Barber and about 7 other players who have been probowlers already
Marion Barber isn't as good of a RB as Rogers is as a CB.

I'm assuming you meant "Roddy" White, and he was a complete bust until very recently when he finally decided to get serious with the mental aspects of the game.

Ware and Merriman, as has been discussed to the point of over kill, succeed in very aggressive 3-4 schemes as OLBs. Once we start playing that style of defense, maybe we could look back and say we should've gotten them for some real useless hindsight fun.

Braylon Edwards went to the Pro Bowl from the first round of that class as well, and in reality he's one of the most overrated players in the league.

Rogers is one of the most talented players to come out of the first round of that draft.

i don't post a lot on here...i'm always reading though and there is a constant theme that im always reading...most recently in the "best/worst 1st draft picks thread"

what is it about carlos rogers that people dont like? why does he not get the credit that i think he deserves?

am i missing something? yeah he has butter fingers...at least he deflecting those passes....not to mention having a season he just had after coming back from the injury he had.

i'm just wondering what it is about this guy that makes people think he's not playing up to par.

I LOV the guy. He is physical, can tackle, can hit, and can cover like a blanket. He is not quite all pro but then again neither is our pass rush. When Carlos plays with a team that can pressure the QB I would expect him to make the pro bowl.

I Know he cannot catch but that is the fault of coaching. I have taught people how to catch. The coaches apparently have not noticed he has hands of stone or they simply do not care. Thats on coaching.

where are u guys getting this great coverage stuff from?
We actually watched Redskins games.:doh:

Not only has Rogers' coverage skills improved, he is a much better tackler now (see hit on Stallworth in Browns game) and his recovery/make up speed is incredible. When the opponent throws a WR screen to his side, he is usually on that receiver before he is even able to make his first move.

his problem is that he drops INTs that hit him right in the face. hes got very good coverage skills, although it took him a little longer to catch on. he really didnt figure it out til 07, he was playing awesome until he got hurt. 08 he played lights out.

but again, if you get drafted 9th overall, you should be better at catching the ball than dude with blocks of concrete for hands. thats his only really knock. the dude hits like freight train, is incredible in run support, and is good in coverage. he doesnt have top flight speed, but hes an awesome corner.

but hes not top 5, which is how he wants to be paid supposedly.

Haha.

Alright guys!!!! We came into this thread, answer this fellas question humblely and truthfully without getting into a school girl debate about it!!

That's an ES first!

:hysterical: I was thinking the same thing!

I still think a lot of people are either hiding their feelings, or simply not posting because it seemed like there was a ton of hate thrown Carlos' way this past season. I'm willing to forgive the '06 riot we had where Carlos would've been killed by the ES mob if they saw him out in public... but he was catching a lot of heat in 07 and this past season too, contrary to McD5's report.

My opinion of him has been consistently the same: Top tier, very well-rounded CB that every team in the NFL would love to have who just has a major issue catching the ball. And yes, I felt this way after the 06 season too... I didn't think it was fair to judge anyone in the defense we had that year, especially the DBs considering how poorly we pass-rushed that year.

We actually watched Redskins games.:doh:

Not only has Rogers' coverage skills improved, he is a much better tackler now (see hit on Stallworth in Browns game) and his recovery/make up speed is incredible. When the opponent throws a WR screen to his side, he is usually on that receiver before he is even able to make his first move.

did you watch the 06 and 07 seasons? he got burnt PLENTY,he got beaten and got PIs at the worst times in the games

next time an opponent is in the redzone or needs a 3rd down conversion watch where the ball goes

LOL my friends and i have had EXTENSIVE convos about this

he had a good 1st half of 08 but theres a reason he got benched this year

dude was getting worked by Chris Henry

hes physical,good tackler,his coverage is quite average

he has the occasional good game

did you watch the 06 and 07 seasons? he got burnt PLENTY,he got beaten and got PIs at the worst times in the games

next time an opponent is in the redzone or needs a 3rd down conversion watch where the ball goes

LOL my friends and i have had EXTENSIVE convos about this

he had a good 1st half of 08 but theres a reason he got benched this year

dude was getting worked by Chris Henry

hes physical,good tackler,his coverage is quite average

he has the occasional good game

First off, statistically that's not the case. You're making rash generalizations left and right on his level of play, against the actual facts and what they say about his skill level.

Second, everyone got burned in the 06 season, I have no idea why you brought that up at all. Rogers and Taylor were continuously left on islands in coverage and completely hung out to dry as offenses murdered us. It was also his second season in the league, and first season as a real starter. Tough transition to make when combined with the completely awful unit around him.

As for the 07 season, he was completely lights out until he tore his knee up. Again, the stats go along with that one as well.

his problem is that he drops INTs that hit him right in the face. hes got very good coverage skills, although it took him a little longer to catch on. he really didnt figure it out til 07, he was playing awesome until he got hurt. 08 he played lights out.

but again, if you get drafted 9th overall, you should be better at catching the ball than dude with blocks of concrete for hands. thats his only really knock. the dude hits like freight train, is incredible in run support, and is good in coverage. he doesnt have top flight speed, but hes an awesome corner.

but hes not top 5, which is how he wants to be paid supposedly.

Again, what does his draft position have anything to do with it? We needed a corner, so we took the best one available coming out of college.

Turns out, he's been better than most of the other guys taken in the first round that year, and the guys he hasn't been better than (Ware, Merriman) play in systems much different than ours that help enable their success.

In fact, out of all the corners taken in that entire draft, the only other ones worth mentioning are Bryant McFadden of the Steelers, and Corey Webster of the Giants, who have both turned into pretty solid corners themselves, but I think we all understand the ridiculous pass rush they benefit from compared to what Rogers has to work with.

For the 9th overall pick of that draft, Rogers has played well enough.

those saying he doesn't deserve a top 10 pick seem to forget we traded champ that year, and we needed a CB. the other CB's in that first round were, Pac man, and antrell rolle. Well one is no longer in the league and the other was soo good at CB he was moved to safety. So i dont' see how people can be mad that we drafted the best CB in that years draft in the first round.

Everything that has needed to be said has been said. I just think its interesting how bad the 1st round of the 2005 draft ended up being! Just look at the top 10!

1. San Francisco 49ers - Alex Smith*, QB Utah

2. Miami Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn

3. Cleveland Browns - Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan

4. Chicago Bears - Cedric Benson, RB Texas

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Carnell Williams, RB Auburn

6. Tennessee Titans - Adam Jones*, CB West Virginia

7. Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland) - Troy Williamson*, WR South Carolina

8. Arizona Cardinals - Antrel Rolle, CB Miami (Fla)

9. Washington Redskins - Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn

10. Detroit Lions - Mike Williams*, WR USC

11. Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware*, DE/OLB Troy State

12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) - Shawne Merriman*, DE/OLB Maryland

13. New Orleans Saints (from Houston)- Jamaal Brown, OT Oklahoma

14. Carolina Panthers - Thomas Davis*, S/OLB Georgia

15. Kansas City Chiefs - Derrick Johnson, LB Texas

16. Houston Texans (from New Orleans) - Travis Johnson, DT Florida State

17. Cincinnati Bengals - David Pollack, DE Georgia

18. Minnesota - Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin

19. St. Louis Rams - Alex Barron, OT Florida State

20. Dallas Cowboys (from Buffalo) - Marcus Spears, DE LSU

21. Jacksonville Jaguars - Matt Jones, QB Arkansas

22. Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton, WR Oklahoma

23. Oakland Raiders (from Seattle) - Fabian Washington*, CB Nebraska

24. Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rogers, QB California

25. Washington Redskins (from Denver) - Jason Campbell, QB Auburn

26. Seattle Seahawks (from Oakland through NY Jets) - Chris Spencer, C Ole Miss

27. Atlanta Falcons - Roddy White, WR UAB

28. San Diego Chargers - Luis Castillo, DT Northwestern

29. Indianapolis Colts - Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - Heath Miller*, TE Virginia

31. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Patterson, DT USC

32. New England Patriots - Logan Mankins, OG Fresno State

Its because he really didn't live up to expectations until this past season. Really that is a good sign because it signifies that he's improving each season. If he keeps that up and is even better this season (catching the ball) which should almost certainly happen with the addition of Haynesworth, we'll have one of the best secondaries in the league. That is if we have the Falcon-era Hall and not the Raider-era Hall. But I think Hall will be awesome because he fits in with our guys and our system and wants to prove to all the naysayers that he's worth the money and the risk.

Archived