Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone answer a question on 'Los for me?

skins86

i don't post a lot on here...i'm always reading though and there is a constant theme that im always reading...most recently in the "best/worst 1st draft picks thread"

what is it about carlos rogers that people dont like? why does he not get the credit that i think he deserves?

am i missing something? yeah he has butter fingers...at least he deflecting those passes....not to mention having a season he just had after coming back from the injury he had.

i'm just wondering what it is about this guy that makes people think he's not playing up to par.

Personally, I love the dude. I think he's great. Should be a starter for us for years. For some reason, Balche benched him last year in favor for Springs/Hall. He does have a case for butter-fingers, and some hate him because they sware we should have beat Seattle with his pick-six.

Like Hokie said its because the dude cant catch the ****ing ball. If he was able to catch he would be one of the top corners in the league. I thought the guy played amazing last year. He was locking down #1 recievers every game. I love the dude and think him and Hall at corner is one of the best tandems. Now if he could get a hand transplant it would be all gravy.

I'm back to being a fan of Carlos Rogers. His injury-shortened 2007 was nice, but the fact he rebounded so well in 2008 was nicer. 2005 was also a great year for him.

What initially soured me on him was his propensity to dance for absolutely no reason in 2006. First game versus the Vikings, Brad Johnson throws a perfect pass to Troy Williamson who has completely burnt Carlos Rogers... And Williamson makes a basketball hoop using his arms and the ball goes right through it. Then Rogers starts dancing. A couple of games later versus the Texans, Andre Johnson has burnt Carlos Rogers and the ball is badly thrown. I forget if it bounced off of Carlos Rogers' helmet or what. But Rogers starts dancing again.

But like I said, all is forgiven now. I am back to having fond memories of him in 2005, such as the game versus the Chargers.

a lot of people hate the fact that he plays so far off the WR, even though that's a scheme issue. then there is the fact that he cant catch a cold. then there is the fact that he tends to celebrate, even when he does absolutely nothing. if you ask me, we were all just spoiled by d. green, and champ bailey was a glimpse of what we could have had.

that said, i think c-los is SOLID. him and d.hall should be a dependable tandem for years to come.

In my opinion, he's one of the best corners in the league. He doesn't give up many big plays, yet people want to cry about interceptions. What people don't seem to get is that he can be trusted back there. It's hard to find a guy like that in this league.

I believe it is a few things:

1. He was an extremely high draft pick. Prior to last season, he didn't play like a first rounder. Fortunately, last season he improved greatly.

2. As you said, his hands. Very good corners bat balls down. Legends, like Prime Time, catch them and then return them 60 yards for touchdowns. Huge difference there.

3. Also prior to last year, he seemed very soft. Afraid of contact. In 2006, he literally avoided contact. He improved on that last year--even delivering one or two very violent shots.

4. Nobody likes a whiner.

5. He made a comment a few days that angered some fans again. Something to the effect of "I am playing this season to get paid the big money."

Rogers never lived up to the top ten pick billing that he got coming out of Auburn.

When you take a guy that high you expect playmakers, and Rogers is not a playmaker.

He's a top tier cover corner, which is good and may even keep him on the Skins long term, but he just doesn't make enough plays to warrant the draft pick used to acquire him.

thanks for actually listing some things...

hes only really played about 2 to 2 1/2 seasons worth of games.

but people cant hate on hm already cause hes not a "legend" like prime time.

and being soft....i agree with that but like you said he definitely stepped it up this season with a few of those hits.

whinning...don't like that....but id be pissed too if i got benched for no reason.

and playing for money? who in the league doesnt? we have a 100 million dollar man. if everybody around you was getting monster contracts after having 2 good seasons....wouldnt you be wanting and expecting the same thing if you stepped it up?

i would.

thanks for actually listing some things...

hes only really played about 2 to 2 1/2 seasons worth of games.

but people cant hate on hm already cause hes not a "legend" like prime time.

and being soft....i agree with that but like you said he definitely stepped it up this season with a few of those hits.

whinning...don't like that....but id be pissed too if i got benched for no reason.

and playing for money? who in the league doesnt? we have a 100 million dollar man. if everybody around you was getting monster contracts after having 2 good seasons....wouldnt you be wanting and expecting the same thing if you stepped it up?

i would.

No debate here, at least not with me. I believe almost all of the fans like him now.....because of the great improvements he made last season.

I was just listing a few things that pissed people off prior to last season.

He seems to have rectified most of those issues.

It would have been nice to hear him say, "I am playing this season to win a Superbowl for the fans of DC," as opposed to "I am playing this season to get paid the big bucks." But I understand his point.

Carlos is a quality corner that plays well against both the run and pass. He will usually be in position to break up the pass, or make the tackle against the run. He does not get fooled often, but when he does, he files it away and moves on. An extremely important trait for a corner is to have a short memory.

As for Carlos not being able to catch, well if he had better hands, he would probably make a heck of a receiver. Of the corners taken Rogers has been the most solid and has outplayed other defensive backs taken in the 2005 draft first round if you ask me.

Rogers wanting to get paid is no big deal. He has to be patient and Snyder will make sure he's taken care of. I have been thinking about the benching towards the end of last season. Do you think there is a possibility that they wanted to rest Rogers more due to his recovery and the grind of the season? It could have been a precautionary measure, as they knew what they had in Carlos and really wanted to audition Hall.

i don't post a lot on here...i'm always reading though and there is a constant theme that im always reading...most recently in the "best/worst 1st draft picks thread"

what is it about carlos rogers that people dont like? why does he not get the credit that i think he deserves?

am i missing something? yeah he has butter fingers...at least he deflecting those passes....not to mention having a season he just had after coming back from the injury he had.

i'm just wondering what it is about this guy that makes people think he's not playing up to par.

am I missing something? who in that thread said that Rogers was a bad pick??

Well it won't be me. I thank Los can be a pro bowler soon!he wasn't far from it last year. The corner I had an issue with last year was Smoot,accept the play when he upended T.0.

Haha.

Alright guys!!!! We came into this thread, answer this fellas question humblely and truthfully without getting into a school girl debate about it!!

That's an ES first!

with our lack of pass rush last year, it's a true testament to carlos (and all our backfield) that he had the year he did... the lack of INTs is frustrating but I'll take solid coverage skills any day of the week...

he played well the 1st half of this season but was avg at best the rest of the way

his 06 and 07 seasons werent very good either

he gave up alot of critical 1st downs cuz he plays so far off the WR,got beaten deep way too many times and would get alot of stupid PI calls

i wouldnt care he couldnt catch if he could stop someone

im not a fan

I think, for me, the no-hands thing is huge. Look at the DB's with ball skills and decent tackling ability. Asante is a perfect example. That guy can change a game for you. Carlos doesn't possess that skill-set...okay, in fairness, he hasn't shown it yet. I'm intrigued with him though. He will likely play out of his mind this year b/c of the Hall thing and for the simple fact that 2009 is a contract year for him, if I'm not mistaken.

He's a great run supporting Corner, covers well, and he at least gets his chest in the way when the ball hits him in it... :paranoid:

Archived