Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dog breed suggestions?

thelarkascend1ng

before i go on asking everyone in the tailgate what the next pup should be, let me preface it by showing off my current best (pup) friend.

this is a norwegian buhund.

norwegianbuhund_langhoff.jpg

they love to herd and love to run around and be a part of the pack, as it were. i love my dog to a ridiculous degree, but he's 13 this year and definitely coming up on his older self - i'm happier keeping him with my folks up in northern virginia and i think they like him there too. he has a loving and stable home, and my parents are in that zone where they love him too and i only get to see him so often while they let him run around the backyard till he gets tired and wants to eat and bark at vans and trucks outside our house.

i want to get a border collie, but i've read that they require a ton of constant attention and lots of exericise, and i don't want to skimp out and be a purebred owner who gave him up because i couldn't man up and give this breed what they want. with wolf, i remember reading the same thing, but when i got him, he was a puppy and i was in like 4th grade, so i could run around all the time and keep him interested in all sorts of adventures like "chase the flashlight" or "herd the family" or "guard the house", but since i'm living by myself i'm hoping i can provide him/her with the same vibe i gave to my old dog. i love what border collies look like/are known for but i don't want to be lazy about owning this kind of dog.

suggestions for a single male with intentions of working 30 hours a week and going on recreational swimming sessions in the James river in Richmond?

Best dogs ever, but live way too short. It is pretty hard to deal with that breed. It's like losing a kid when he is 7.

Yeah that's the downside with big dogs. I've never had a Great Dane but a couple of my friends do. I personally have "Texas Heeler" Blue Heeler/Aussie Shepherd mix.

n1538310052_30006123_5419.jpg

That's Daisy as a young pup (3 months or so)

I have a Pittbull/St.Bernard mix that is the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I also have a Jindo. Smart, loves to play, very loyal and athletic. Ancient breed of dog too. They have their own island in Korea. One of the best dogs I have ever owned, ever.

You might want to consider a Bull Mastiff, if you have the room.

We have an English Mastiff, which is slightly bigger. Both breeds are loyal and easy going and really can't handle tons of exercise, so they won't miss it when you don't have time for it. The Bull Mastiff handles being alone a little better than his big cousin, though both are guard dogs by nature, so time alone watching the house won't make them crazy.

As others have said though, the giant breeds only live about 9-11 years, so you have to be ready for the early goodbye.

Go to the A.S.P.C.A. and adopt a mutt.

That's what we've done for all of our dogs. You get a great, loyal dog and help save a life to boot.

I love mutts so much :D

Not only do they act awesome, they also don't get weird diseases like purebreeds.

it really depends what you are looking for the dog to do. I always wanted an English Bulldog but got a lab because I love running and wanted someone that could do that with me.

I would also recommend adopting. There are so many dogs out there that need a good home. They have all sorts from mutts, to pure breeds that just need someone to love them.

Please look into it. I live in Springfield close by and if you need some references for adoption agencies in our area or help please just PM me.

Pound puppies are the best. Find a mix of what you might like. Mutts seem a bit hardier than purebreds. My mutt got Parvo from the shelter she was in and where it would kill lesser dogs, she pretty much cruised right through it. The vets were worried b/c of the way she was acting initially, but after chewing through 3 IVs, they figured she would make it. :)

Even if you are hellbent on a purebred, as others have said, look to an animal rescue group for one. There are many out there and it feels good to help save a doggie's life. :)

I have a Yorkie. His name is Cooley. He is the perfect size for my apartment. He is a TON of fun and has more energy than any other dog I have ever met. He is fast as **** and chews through almost anything. He needs lots of attention. But a good run, chase, or fetch everyday is pefect for this little guy. He is hypo-allergenic, which is great for my horrible allergies.

Here is a pic of him running by my side while I am on my mountain bike going as fast as I can. He actually was passing me...

2urw8lt.jpg

k9vtp1.jpg

Go to the A.S.P.C.A. and adopt a mutt.

That's what we've done for all of our dogs. You get a great, loyal dog and help save a life to boot.

I agree. If you don't like how the ASPCA runs, then you can adopt from another rescue organization.

If you like a particular breed, you can look for those characteristics in mutts. Someone mentioned Jindo, and they are great dogs. (Need exercise, though)

My current dog is a mutt rescue, but kind of looks like a Belgian Malinois/Jindo mix. High energy, super affectionate.

I agree. If you don't like how the ASPCA runs, then you can adopt from another rescue organization.

I recommend www.foha.org. Click on the link to the left that says 'dogs for adoption' and you can look through all the dogs looking for good homes. Its a no-kill shelter and where i got my dog from.

The dog named Lamar is my dogs brother, he'd be a good pet for someone.

I have a Pittbull/St.Bernard mix that is the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I also have a Jindo. Smart, loves to play, very loyal and athletic. Ancient breed of dog too. They have their own island in Korea. One of the best dogs I have ever owned, ever.

Jindos seem like really cool dogs. However as described on Wikipedia, it sounds like exactly the opposite of what the OP is looking for, i.e. a low maintainance dog. In fact, the description of their temperament sounds almost exactly like Basenjis, which I have experience with. They require at least moderate exercise and lots of training and attention. Without that you're going to have, shall we say, interesting times. :)

I like thinking about dogs that are getting ready to be adopted. Some lucky dog is about to start one of the most interesting and beneficial adventrues they will ever go on in their life today. We got all four of our dogs at the Shelter, three from the Prince William shelter including our pure bred. They are great additions, and its good to take a dog from the jaws of death and give them a new and incredible life. My Jindo was literally days from being put down. She had been at the shelter for two months with a sign that said "Jindo's are agreessive and bad with kids" and a list of general temperaments for the dog breed in general. I went to the pound every day for a week with my dog and played with her in one of the outdoor pens for a while, then at the end of the week, took her home. She is one of the most playful, yet submissive dogs I have ever seen, and is great around children. She is the first dog I would let my newborn interact with. Hooray for pound puppies!

Jindos seem like really cool dogs. However as described on Wikipedia, it sounds like exactly the opposite of what the OP is looking for, i.e. a low maintainance dog. In fact, the description of their temperament sounds almost exactly like Basenjis, which I have experience with. They require at least moderate exercise and lots of training and attention. Without that you're going to have, shall we say, interesting times. :)

This is what Im talking about. They had an internet page posted on her crate and it was def misleading. She is very smart, but is entertained by toys or other dogs in our pack. She is ALWAYs the last out of her bed in the mornings and is generally the joker of the group. Dont judge a book by their cover. I went back to the pound every day to interact with her before I picked her up. She is the lowest maintence dog in my pack actually. the only drawback to her is her double coat.

This is what Im talking about. They had an internet page posted on her crate and it was def misleading. She is very smart, but is entertained by toys or other dogs in our pack. She is ALWAYs the last out of her bed in the mornings and is generally the joker of the group. Dont judge a book by their cover. I went back to the pound every day to interact with her before I picked her up. She is the lowest maintence dog in my pack actually. the only drawback to her is her double coat.

I'll defer to your real world experience on this. However, I suspect that in your case, you're probably helped by virtue of the fact that you have other dogs to help keep her busy and occupied.

In any event, you have added another breed to my list when I do eventually look at getting another dog.

Archived