Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ohio.com: Unable to renegotiate contract, Jurevicius cut by Browns

bubba9497

http://www.ohio.com/sports/41133572.html

Click link for entire article

Unable to renegotiate contract, Jurevicius cut by Browns

Joe Jurevicius' dream of playing one more season in his hometown ended Wednesday when the Browns released the 11-year veteran receiver.

Jurevicius, 34, underwent seven surgeries on his right knee in 2008, starting with a routine arthroscopic procedure in January. About 10 days later, he contracted a staph infection that he said required five cleanouts.

In December, noted orthopedist James Andrews performed another surgery.

After General Manager George Kokinis and coach Eric Mangini took over in January, the Browns approached Jurevicius to renegotiate his contract that was to pay him $2.4 million in 2009.

That way, the respected veteran would be given the chance to come to training camp and show what he could do on the rebuilt knee.

But when the talks could not reach a consensus, Jurevicius was let go.

''I always hoped to finish my career in brown and orange with my family and friends in the stands and was even willing to take a steep pay cut to keep that dream alive,'' Jurevicius said In a statement released through his agent. ''I know there is still plenty of good football left in me so please don't throw any dog biscuits my way when I return to Cleveland Stadium.''

Offensive lineman Ryan Tucker, who had hip surgery and arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last year, was given the same choice with a contract that was to pay him $3.25 million in 2009.

Tucker renegotiated.

Spending three years in Cleveland and playing two, Jurevicius caught 90 passes for 1,109 yards and six touchdowns for the Browns.

In 2007, he ranked third in the NFL with 29 third-down receptions.

''These types of decisions are always difficult ones, especially with someone like Joe, who has meant a great deal to the Cleveland Browns organization and to the fans of Cleveland,'' Kokinis said in a statement. ''Eric [Mangini] and I have had extensive conversations with Joe and his representatives.

''In the end we were unable to reach an agreement that was in the best interests of both parties.''

I'm not sure what Jurevicius is thinking here. His hometown team is willing to give him a shot at a reduced salary. The vet minimum for an 11th year player is good money when your alternative is, what? Coaching high school football? I'll be very surprised if he gets any nibbles on the open market, and if so, they won't be paying much more than the Browns.

Joe seems like a good guy, but I think he's fooling himself if he thinks he'll command many offers on the open market better than what Cleveland would give.

I'd sign this guy to the vet minimum. He has played in West Coast offenses in Seattle and Tampa. He is the consummate pro and he would be a good mentor for Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.

Who would you cut though?

Who would you cut though?
I'd cut Thrash in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned, they are the same player. Each is unlikely to contribute much on the field but could be valuable on special teams. The only difference is that Jurevicious is a west coast guy and could do wonders for our rookies that Thrash doesn't have the background for.

Archived