Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DVR Expander

HOF44

I have a Tivo HD and am looking for a 1TB external drive. I dont believe you have to use the WD DVR expander to get it to work with Tivo. I think pretty much any external drive with an eSATA connection works. Sometimes you can find a 1TB external drive for $99 bucks. Waiting for that deal to pop again to bounce on it.

I have a Tivo HD and am looking for a 1TB external drive. I dont believe you have to use the WD DVR expander to get it to work with Tivo. I think pretty much any external drive with an eSATA connection works. Sometimes you can find a 1TB external drive for $99 bucks. Waiting for that deal to pop again to bounce on it.

Just an FYI, not all drives work. I tried a FreeAgent drive first from Costco and it would not work. Got online and looked it up and others verified it for me. Search online and verify the model number of the drive you want to use and see if it will function with the model of DVR you have.

I ended up just going with this one as it includes the esata cable and is guaranteed to work. Also seems to have more storage than I have ever needed. (It adds 60 Hours of HD space)

Im saving up for one of them fancy 1TB home servers.

Just an FYI, not all drives work. I tried a FreeAgent drive first from Costco and it would not work. Got online and looked it up and others verified the it for me. Search online and verify the model number of the drive you want to use and see if it will function with the model of DVR you have.

I ended up just going with this one as it includes the esata cable and is guaranteed to work. Also seems to have more storage than I have ever needed.

Yeah I was just reading up a little after I made my post. I see other people mention that some HD don't work. Interesting.

I don't think the esata port on the back of the Motorola's is active. Make them give you an SA8300.

Fat chance on that. I tried to get them to give a box with a grounded plug input for my HDTV. They don't have one. So I got an adapter (still wanted the new HD & cable box to turn on with the push of a single button) & the adapter covered up the HDMI input.:doh:

Fat chance on that. I tried to get them to give a box with a grounded plug input for my HDTV. They don't have one. So I got an adapter (still wanted the new HD & cable box to turn on with the push of a single button) & the adapter covered up the HDMI input.:doh:

Awesome.

I love crappily engineered products. Reminds me of how nearly impossible it is to push the reset button fully in on my now newly bricked Slingbox Pro. The power adapter plugs in just beside it and makes it (the reset button) nearly impossible to push when it has power. Of course, the reset button doesn't work without the unit being powered...

Awesome huh?

I have a Pioneer TiVo With a built in DVD-RW Recorder. Comes in real handy when it gets full. No choosing what to delete to make room for more, and I could watch the shows on DVD players in other rooms. When I was commuting by train I carried a 7" Portable DVD Player, so I could catch up during the 1 hour of wasted time on the way home.

Archived