Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any 4-3 LE's available?

we_want_56

While Jason Taylor being released, leaves a hole at the LE spot, I think it's important that we fill that hole with a true 4-3 LE.

Part of the reason, Taylor was a bust, (outside of injuries, and my personal opinion that he didn't have an interest in playing in Washington), was the fact that he was trying to play the role of 4-3 LE, as a 244 pound speed rusher.

As many of you probably know the 4-3 LE is traditionally a Bigger End, strong at the point of attack and NEEDS to be good agaisnt the run because he plays on the strong side of the field. (Usually with a TE on offense, and therefore much of the running game).

Typically the 4-3 LE is around 270 pounds and up.

This happens to be the exact opposite of what Jason Taylor is (and definitely at this stage in his career.

My Question is, with most Collegiate DE's really being NFL 3-4 Outside Linebackers, as well as the current free agent class, are there any 4-3 LE's available...In either College or FA?

EDIT: Excluding Phillip Daniels, he is a good example of one but I was wondering of there was anyone else available.

My fault I meant to say excluding Daniels....He is a goood example, but I was wondering if there were any out there like him, that are younger than him?

Orakpo might be interesting, because his strength intrigues me...He could even be a Peppers type if he added about 10 pounds.

Weighing in at over 270 at the combine I believe Larry English would be a perfect fit. He played the run well in college and that's when he was at least 20 pounds lighter, add to that he is one of the top 3 pass rushers in the draft and I think he's a can't miss prospect.

Weighing in at over 270 at the combine I believe Larry English would be a perfect fit. He played the run well in college and that's when he was at least 20 pounds lighter, add to that he is one of the top 3 pass rushers in the draft and I think he's a can't miss prospect.

I thought Larry English was a 3-4 OLB?

I thought Larry English was a 3-4 OLB?

That's what I'm reading about him....He showed up to the combine 20 lbs heavier thatn his playing weight at college, but everyone says he lacks the bulk to put his hand down on the pros. He seems like he could be a decent RE to me but probably not at LE.

Well, Olshansky would've fit that mold, but it looks like the Redskins aren't going to give out another huge contract. Daniels will probably return on a one year deal with plenty of incentives, and he'll be in a platoon with Chris Wilson.

As to your question, another veteran, Kevin Carter, is available as well. It's a tough year for defensive linemen on the free agent market. Given a choice between Carter and Daniels, I'd take Daniels, due to his knowledge of the system.

That's what I'm reading about him....He showed up to the combine 20 lbs heavier thatn his playing weight at college, but everyone says he lacks the bulk to put his hand down on the pros. He seems like he could be a decent RE to me but probably not at LE.

I guess they say that because he looks like a linebacker. When I saw a picture of him I had a hard time believing that he weighs 270. I have a feeling hes going to be a monster but only time will tell.

While some people feel that a player must be of a certain size in order to stop the run and rush the passer I don't. I look at a player like John Abraham who weighs in at 255 and see what a pass rush he brings to the table while at the same time is very capable of stopping the run.

I don't really care what direction we go in the draft I just hope that they can produce right away and I guess I can also hope for last years draft class to start producing as well.

4-3 left ends?

What does it matter if its a 3-4 defense or a 4-3? I played a little DE but mostly DT when i played ball, as a defensive end you line up against

a tackle in either defense.

Now a NG or DT in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3 is a different story, most NG's in 3-4s get doubled all the time. Yes it depends on who the DT or the DE is is some cases, but most of the time DE's are going up against OT's in either defensive scheme. So i think this is a silly subject, oh yea its the offseason almost forgot :D DE's have certain responsabilites depending on what the offense shows in its formations, weight isnt a huge deal as long as you can stop the run, and rush the passer on passing downs/situations. If you cant do either it doesnt matter what scheme the defense runs IMHO>

p.s. Even with JT on the team, there was still a HOLE at his position cause he didnt do diddly poo lol

it ain't easy to find a LDE who can stop the run AND give a solid pass rush. especially not one for vet min. we're going to have to find the LDE in the draft somwhere. I don't think there's one worth taking at 13, but if we traded down there might be one worth taking either in the low 1st or 2nd round (assuming we get one in the trade down). I'm not too sure which DEs graded as 1st rounders are best suited for LDE in a 4-3 though. Anybody able to compile a list?

Mike Wright (27 yrs old) from the Patriots is a 6'4" 295 DT/DE who is apparently viewed as versatile enough to move from their 3-4 to a 4-3, might make a good LE (also played DE in college). I found a thread on the Patriots forum where one member said:

"Selfishly, I would love to see Wright back. He adds quality depth and can really get after the QB. Excellent change of pace DL to bring.

However, I think the best thing for him would be to sign with a 4-3 team. I really think he would emerge as a starting DL in this scheme. He is tailored to more of an attacking style as the 2 gap often gets him overwhelmed in the running game. Probably why most of his success comes in passing downs.

That being said he has definitely improved against the run and getting leverage. Add that with with his quickness and you have a pretty complete package for a 4-3 team."

Link to thread

NE gave him a second-round tender, so they apparently see some talent/value there. I don't see where he's signed anywhere yet. Any thoughts?

];6204552']A de that doesn't get any sacks. Fantastic.

It's not all about him getting sacks. It's about the team getting them. Haynesworth and Jackson would absolutely destroy the pocket. Our other DT (Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, whoever) and Carter would probably rack up the sacks on the other side.

Not to mention how stout our run D will be.

Not to mention Haynesworth getting some kind of sack production.

Add to that Jackson getting 2-3 sacks as well. You're telling me he wouldn't be beneficial?

It's not all about the numbers folks, too many live and die by numbers.

The numbers matter when your whole team gets 24 sacks.

It's not all about him getting sacks. It's about the team getting them. Haynesworth and Jackson would absolutely destroy the pocket. Our other DT (Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, whoever) and Carter would probably rack up the sacks on the other side.

Not to mention how stout our run D will be.

Not to mention Haynesworth getting some kind of sack production.

Add to that Jackson getting 2-3 sacks as well. You're telling me he wouldn't be beneficial?

It's not all about the numbers folks, too many live and die by numbers.

The numbers matter when your whole team gets 24 sacks.

Jackson wouldn't destroy the pocket. He won't collapse the pocket, he won't even get pressure. Jackson is a 34 DE only, he is good at hold his ground and sealing but he can't even pressure the QB. No A LE doesn't need huge sack #'s, but they need to get pressure.

Jackson wouldn't destroy the pocket. He won't collapse the pocket, he won't even get pressure. Jackson is a 34 DE only, he is good at hold his ground and sealing but he can't even pressure the QB. No A LE doesn't need huge sack #'s, but they need to get pressure.

Would you consider this scenario a great play by our LDE. Tony Romo sits to pee cant step up in the pocket Big Al holding ground and/or pushing pocket back. Romo sits to pee tries to slide out to his right but what do you know Tyson Jackson is holdin the point of attack and is controlling the RT. Meaning he is pushing him back into the pocket or holding contain on the outside. Andre Carter and/or a blitzing LB gets the sack becuase Romo sits to pee had no where to go.

Though our LDE did not get pressure he did make the play for the sack since Romo sits to pee had to stay deep in the pocket.

I got this from The Huddle Report.

Tyson is not quick enough and lacks the foot speed to be a true pass rushing DE at the next level. He is not big enough or strong enough to play DT. He has also played a lot of games and, unfortunately, has not shown a great deal of improvement from year to year. Tyson does not play with the great passion needed to overcome his other deficiencies.

Archived