Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CD's or mp3's?

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If it's great music you care about, it's CD every time. If it's the flavor of the week, mp3.

I download mp3s all the time. If I like it enough, I buy the album. If it hurts my feelings after a month or two, recycle bin.

Can't say I understand the obsession over an obsolete/out-dated playback media. :2cents:

That's kinda how I am

If it's something I really want, like the new Renee Olstead CD that just came out, or the new Down To The Bone that is due out this summer, then I buy the CD.

But if i just wanted a song or two off of a CD, I just buy the MP3, usually from Amazon.com

But I also have a softwear program, Sony Sound Forge, which let's me copy any CD and make all the songs into MP3s that I can then play on an MP3 player. And I also have taken every CD that I own and saved them onto a seperate hard drive in MP3 format. I have my computer sounds played through my stereo reciever so that if I want to hear a CD, I don't play the CD itself, instead I just play it off the hard drive using Winamp.

By doing that I save wear and tear on my CDs

I mostly listen to .mp3s on my ipod. But most of them came from my CD collection (some date back to 1984).

I also have some vinyl, but I gave my turntable to my older sister (who has even more vinyl than me) when I got rid of my ancient stereo.

Never owned an MP3, though I do see the appeal of having many songs at one's disposal with minimal space.

I do have close to 3000 CD's though. It's great to have a physical archive as I don't trust current MP3's or computer technology to do so at this time.

CD's have those tangibles that MP3's don't- cover art (CD book and disc), liner notes, lyrics, pictures inside the book. Additionally I like special edition CD's that come with a bonus disc of music or a DVD- I'm a real sucker for those. Not to mention 24K gold remasters which are getting harder to find.

One thing that is good about MP3's is that they sometimes get exclusive material (live, extra songs on a release, EP's) I've had friends download them and burn them on to disc. So MP3's are cool in that way.

I like the MP3 technology but I still prefer CD and of course the vinyl collection I share with my father.

... how cool is the Sticky Fingers LP with the actual zipper? or the Neil Young "On The Beach" LP cover? that used to matter, and be a part of the creative process just as much as the music the record contained.

I have a CD of Sticky Fingers with an actual working Zipper.

Linux geek. :) (Yeah, I know you can get ogg codecs on windows).

I prefer oggs too but my mp3 player doesn't support 'em and last time I looked didn't have support from Rock Box.

While I do use linux, my preference of oggs has more to do with being a lossless format, and it also helps that its non-proprietary.

I tried doing this and ran out of space on my laptop's hard drive :doh:

It's really sad looking through my CD collection though bc the majority of them are boy bands and movie sound tracks from the mid-90's

After you rip the CD to mp3, copy mps files to DVD.

Theyt hold 4.39 GB each and free up precious hard drive space.

Or get an External Hard drive. They are really cheap now. about 130.00 for a TB worth of storage.

I have a CD of Sticky Fingers with an actual working Zipper.

My pops does too on vinyl, I think those should be worth a bit of money.

Back in 1998 the Stones released CDs with the Vinyl style cover. I also got a Sticky Fingers CD with the zipper. Not quite as cool as the vinyl but still very good. I was stoked when those came out.

While I voted for mp3, I really wish I could have said CD. They have better quality than mp3s but it's just a matter of storage. You can't store 1,000 CDs with no compression and expect it to be economical. Mp3s just make it easier.

Plus, when was the last time you saw somebody walking around with a jumbo sized Discman?

While I voted for mp3, I really wish I could have said CD. They have better quality than mp3s but it's just a matter of storage. You can't store 1,000 CDs with no compression and expect it to be economical. Mp3s just make it easier.

Plus, when was the last time you saw somebody walking around with a jumbo sized Discman?

Well if we are strictly talking MP3's no but certain digital codecs can match or beat CD quality while maintaining small size. I usually use LAME encoder for my MP3's or Monkey's Audio at 256-384 kbps. Of course other codecs are even better and can easily match CD quality.

Archived