Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official Draft James "Little Animal" Laurinaitis thread!

skinsfanjoe

And I'll be the first to laugh at OSU for losing all these contests but the Big 10 schools have a natural handicap coming to the South or West to play southern or western teams that played another game or TWO before the Bowl contest.

big 10 teams have no one to blame but themselves, as far as a "natural handicap" of being rusty. They have the ability to create a championship game. The geography aspect is a joke, each team gets an equal alottment of tickets. The Pac10 doesnt have a championship game either, but SC doesnt need this excuse.

Im not a SEC homer, but i dont like OSU as theyve ruined several big games recently by folding shop. And I dont necessarily think they field terrible teams or have terrible talent, but they are routinely over rated...and that is problematic given the format of college footballs postseason.

I don't know if this nugget was brought up:

But agents have worked so hard to make their players presentable that teams now have to do things to get players out of their comfort zones. This year, I heard more and more stories about teams challenging players instead of simply interviewing them or exchanging niceties.

My favorite story involved a defensive coach for one team asking Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis why they should pick him. "Tell me something,'' the coach said. "When is the last time a linebacker from Ohio State came to the NFL and was worth a s---?'' That shook the Buckeye out of whatever confident zone he might have entered the room in.

Come to think of it, he makes a good point. A.J. Hawk has been OK, but nothing spectacular, and he followed the likes of Bobby Carpenter and Andy Katzenmoyer.

http://sportsillustrated....er_king/02/22/mmqb/1.html

Ohio State

Will Allen (26) Tampa Bay Buccaneers FS

Kirk Barton (70) Cincinnati Bengals T

Kirk Barton Chicago Bears OT

Bobby Carpenter (54) Dallas Cowboys LB

Drew Carter (18) Oakland Raiders WR

Nate Clements (22) San Francisco 49ers CB

Doug Datish Tennessee Titans C

Na'il Diggs (53) Carolina Panthers OLB

Mike Doss (44) Cincinnati Bengals DB

Dustin Fox (35) Buffalo Bills DB

Simon Fraser (75) Atlanta Falcons DE

Joey Galloway (84) Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR

Chris Gamble (20) Carolina Panthers CB

Vernon Gholston (56) New York Jets LB

Ted Ginn Jr. (19) Miami Dolphins WR

Anthony Gonzalez (11) Indianapolis Colts WR

Larry Grant (59) St. Louis Rams OLB

Marcus Green New Orleans Saints DT

Roy Hall (83) Indianapolis Colts WR

Ben Hartsock (89) Atlanta Falcons TE

A.J. Hawk (50) Green Bay Packers OLB

Santonio Holmes (10) Pittsburgh Steelers WR

Kevin Houser (47) New Orleans Saints LS

Michael Jenkins (12) Atlanta Falcons WR

Nick Mangold (74) New York Jets C

Donnie Nickey (23) Tennessee Titans DB

Mike Nugent (1) New York Jets K

Orlando Pace (76) St. Louis Rams T

Kenny Peterson (90) Denver Broncos DT

Ryan Pickett (79) Green Bay Packers DT

Quinn Pit**** (97) Indianapolis Colts DT

Antonio Pittman (30) St. Louis Rams RB

Jay Richardson (98) Oakland Raiders DE

Nate Salley (25) Carolina Panthers DB

Rob Sims (67) Seattle Seahawks G

Troy Smith (10) Baltimore Ravens QB

Will Smith (91) New Orleans Saints DE

Shawn Springs (24) Washington Redskins CB

Alex Stepanovich (69) Atlanta Falcons C

Mike Vrabel (50) New England Patriots OLB

Donte Whitner (20) Buffalo Bills SS

Matt Wilhelm (57) San Diego Chargers ILB

Antoine Winfield (26) Minnesota Vikings CB

Ashton Youboty (26) Buffalo Bills CB

I would only take 3 maybe 4 of those guys max

It's Younstown State and Toledo.....gees...idiot....

Oh by the way maybe we could have scheduled Central Florida, South Florida, Florida International , Florida Academy of Cuban Refugees, and my favorite Florida University of Culinary Kids, better known as the ****s, ofcourse then Stupider and the great Florida offense would have worked here.

If we needed a fast middle Linbacker I would say to take him, but we don't.

LMAO all you Bucks fans are so sensitive. Heaven forbid someone actually point out that they play weak OOC schedules. All I hear (in Cincy too) is Bucks fans cry that someone says they suck. They played Akron last year btw...sorry if I messed up the year that they played a small Ohio school (they backed out of the Cincy game :hysterical:)

It's Younstown State and Toledo.....gees...idiot....

Oh by the way maybe we could have scheduled Central Florida, South Florida, Florida International , Florida Academy of Cuban Refugees, and my favorite Florida University of Culinary Kids, better known as the ****s, ofcourse then Stupider and the great Florida offense would have worked here.

If we needed a fast middle Linbacker I would say to take him, but we don't.

That Florida offense looked pretty good in the National Championship game, didnt it? Living in the state of Ohio my whole life, people wonder why I hate osu. It;s simple....their football program hasn't been respectable (in terms of character) since Earl Bruce was fired. It's funny osu fans bring up the Florida teams because they have strived for decadesd to operate just like them. Go watch "The Program" and you will get a pretty good idea of how it has been at osu for a long, long time. A friend of mine had a Freshman class with katzenmoyer and hung out with him and Damon Moore quite a bit. He said katz showed up for class a total of 3 times the entire quarter...each time he had headphones in and refused to respond when the prof tried to talk to him. In the spring he told my friend he got a B in the class. Remember Damon Moore? Letting him take sex ed in the summer (literally show you how to put a condom on a banana) in order to be eligible? And supposedly Tressel is class? This was all gonna change with his guys? Look how he treated Clarrett. Worked a deal to get him an SUV, got him a $30/hr summer job he didn't have to show up to.....and he NEVER went to class (yet somehow remained eligible. Then, when he had no use for 13, and he needed help the most, "Mr Class" Tressel acted like he didnt know him. Nothings changed. I don't even have time - nor the energy - to make a complete list as to why the school - and the vast majority of its fans - are an embarrassment to college football. How's Alex Boone doing? Around here people still consider him a top NFL prospect.....the NFL is just biased against him :doh::doh:.

Leave you with this.....I was in Columbus for the "Game of the century" when U of M and osu were both undefeated. Colin Cowherd was doing a remote the day before at Eddie George's grill. While I was waiting in line to get in, they announced the passing of Bo Schembechler. About 1/3 of the crowd cheered. Seriously. I heard multiple jokes about "at least now he doesn't have to watch them lose tomorrow" and "Bo's heart couldn't take facing 'the animal' ". For all of you around DC, that is all you need to know about osu fans. I have lived with them my whole life and they are simply unbelievable. Oh yea, the day of the game, my cousin had a picture of Bo and Woody together before a game in the 70's (as a trype of memorial). osu fans spit on him and tore the picture. I have dozens of these stories but I have things to do so there ya go.

A.J. Hawk? Mike Vrabel?

Vrabel is one of the (extremely) rare character guys who came out of columbus -- I respect him. Having said that, he was very fortunate to get to play in New England for BB....early in his career he got exposed (in Pitt) but BB is a master at putting people in roles they are likely to succeed.

As for Hawk, also vastly overrated. Wasn't even the best young LB on that roster until Hodge went down. Decent range but can't get off a block to save his life. Bust out some film and look at how many times he is taken out of a play by a TE. Hell, in one of the Chicago games last season Olsen took him out and he isn't even a blocking TE

I just knew somebody would say something mentally deficient like that.

Why because it hurts your argument or your feelings which one is it?

AJ Hawk

Santonio Holmes

Nick Mangold

They are the only ones who would be an upgrade or fit a need for us. Other then that the rest are no better then what we have. No one on that list is an elite player.

I'm against this all the way. He's too small and imo not a difference maker. He makes a lot of tackles but imo will never really alter the game or make that big of plays in the NFL. I'll give him the fact that he seems to usually be around the ball, but I don't see him being able to handle guys like Brandon Jacobs or Marion Barber, let alone the MASSIVE o-linemen in our division. It's nothing against him, hell I LIVE IN BUCKEYE COUNTRY - but I would be really disappointed if we drafted him.

It was said in an nfl.com article that one of the GM's interviewing him directly asked him, "When the hell was the last time a linebacker from OSU did anything in the NFL?" Frankly, I agree.

1. Andre Smith LT Alambama

2. James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State Via Trade

3. Dorell Scott DT Clemson

5. Alex Boone OT Ohio State / Garrett Reynolds North Carolina

5. Devin Moore RB Wyoming

6. Brandon Swain DE West Texas A&M

Alex Boone is a God-awful OT that is another overrated Buckeye tackle. They haven't had a dominant tackle in quite some time and simply try to masquerade a lineman or two every year. Imo the last good lineman they had was Mangold, and he was interior, it's been quite some time since they've had a good tackle that produced in the league.

If you want evidence, watch the Texas vs. OSU game. Orakpo got the the QB early at will and then Boone held him the rest of the game and was never flagged for it. Orakpo is hyped, but consider Boone against the likes of Umenyiora, Ware, Cole, Tuck, etc. Right or left side, I think he's about as quick as Jansen...that won't cut it.

That Florida offense looked pretty good in the National Championship game, didnt it? Living in the state of Ohio my whole life, people wonder why I hate osu. It;s simple....their football program hasn't been respectable (in terms of character) since Earl Bruce was fired. It's funny osu fans bring up the Florida teams because they have strived for decadesd to operate just like them. Go watch "The Program" and you will get a pretty good idea of how it has been at osu for a long, long time. A friend of mine had a Freshman class with katzenmoyer and hung out with him and Damon Moore quite a bit. He said katz showed up for class a total of 3 times the entire quarter...each time he had headphones in and refused to respond when the prof tried to talk to him. In the spring he told my friend he got a B in the class. Remember Damon Moore? Letting him take sex ed in the summer (literally show you how to put a condom on a banana) in order to be eligible? And supposedly Tressel is class? This was all gonna change with his guys? Look how he treated Clarrett. Worked a deal to get him an SUV, got him a $30/hr summer job he didn't have to show up to.....and he NEVER went to class (yet somehow remained eligible. Then, when he had no use for 13, and he needed help the most, "Mr Class" Tressel acted like he didnt know him. Nothings changed. I don't even have time - nor the energy - to make a complete list as to why the school - and the vast majority of its fans - are an embarrassment to college football. How's Alex Boone doing? Around here people still consider him a top NFL prospect.....the NFL is just biased against him :doh::doh:.

Leave you with this.....I was in Columbus for the "Game of the century" when U of M and osu were both undefeated. Colin Cowherd was doing a remote the day before at Eddie George's grill. While I was waiting in line to get in, they announced the passing of Bo Schembechler. About 1/3 of the crowd cheered. Seriously. I heard multiple jokes about "at least now he doesn't have to watch them lose tomorrow" and "Bo's heart couldn't take facing 'the animal' ". For all of you around DC, that is all you need to know about osu fans. I have lived with them my whole life and they are simply unbelievable. Oh yea, the day of the game, my cousin had a picture of Bo and Woody together before a game in the 70's (as a trype of memorial). osu fans spit on him and tore the picture. I have dozens of these stories but I have things to do so there ya go.

OMG Diesel, After hearing your experience I have decided I no longer like the Ohio State Buckeyes. Thanks to you I've seen the light. I just wish I would have known earlier that Ohio State had these issues you described. Possible ethics and NCAA violations and a percentage of fans that are complete *******s. Luckily for us NO other major program has these problems or allegations.:doh:

Well it has become clear to me that no way in hell should we draft JL, I mean a percentage of people that cheered for him are *******s, and he went to a school that alledgedly allowed someone to pass through by taking a fluff class over a decade ago.I'm just glad this doesn't take place everywhere:doh:

As to the Florida comment, yes in 2009 Florida's offense looked good in the title game, ofcourse that should be discounted because they played Hawaii and the Citadel:doh:

Why because it hurts your argument or your feelings which one is it?

AJ Hawk

Santonio Holmes

Nick Mangold

They are the only ones who would be an upgrade or fit a need for us. Other then that the rest are no better then what we have. No one on that list is an elite player.

Both, lol! Really, just because they wouldn't be an upgrade or fit for our team doesn't make them bad players. And there are only a very small handful of elite players in any given draft. That is what makes them elite, after all: the best of the best.

Pace and Springs have been elite players during their careers, they're just on the downside of their careers now. Winfield and Clements are damn good corners, too.

Sounds to me, though, like you're going to talk down on anybody that wasn't a top 5 pick or in hindsight should have been. You know what you get in most cases when you draft an OSU player? A solid, capable player who is ready to play now or in the very near future. Not a project. Show me a school that's putting out the volume and quality of pro players that OSU is putting out that is not named Miami or USC.

Thoughts? He is extremely overrated. If you want a LB then Maualuga is the pick. JL has BIG trouble shedding blocks and doesn't transition as an OLB. Maualuga on the other hand can get after the QB from the outside and has the speed and athleticism to move to OLB for the time being until Fletcher is done. Rey is a very vocal leader and we lack that presence. Id rather go with one of the 4 OTs but with them possibly being gone by #13 then Rey or Orakpo is the choice.

DE - Jason Taylor

DT - Albert Haynesworth

DT - Cornelius Griffin / Anthony Montgomery

DE - Andre Carter

OLB - Rocky McIntosh

MLB - London Fletcher

OLB - Rey Maualuga / Brian Orakpo

CB - DeAngelo Hall

CB - Carlos Rogers

FS - LaRon Landry

SS - Chris Horton

Wow its a HUGE possibility that the above lineup is our starting lineup for D for 2009. That lineup is straight NASTY!!!

I would go crazy if we got Rey Maualuga or Orakpo, our defense will scare offenses even more. Hopefully it's Maualuga though.

OMG Diesel, After hearing your experience I have decided I no longer like the Ohio State Buckeyes. Thanks to you I've seen the light. I just wish I would have known earlier that Ohio State had these issues you described. Possible ethics and NCAA violations and a percentage of fans that are complete *******s. Luckily for us NO other major program has these problems or allegations.:doh:

Well it has become clear to me that no way in hell should we draft JL, I mean a percentage of people that cheered for him are *******s, and he went to a school that alledgedly allowed someone to pass through by taking a fluff class over a decade ago.I'm just glad this doesn't take place everywhere:doh:

As to the Florida comment, yes in 2009 Florida's offense looked good in the title game, ofcourse that should be discounted because they played Hawaii and the Citadel:doh:

1. Find me another school in the Big Ten who has come CLOSE to as many off the field football issues as osu in the past 20 yrs. With Michigan doing the absolutely unconscionable by bringing in richrod, that will likely change in the near future however. That is the type of guy who truly belongs on osu's staff. Get caught with a 15 yr old dancing on your apt coffee table after you got her drunk? No problem. Soon Michigan will go from a respected character program to another (dare I say it) osu.

2. Any comment an osu fan makes about Florida is immediately void. I have seen an anti-Gator movement the past few yrs in this state that is unfathomable. The bias is such a joke that you can't get buckeye fans to admit they would like to have Tebow running their offense:silly:. Of course, if my school got waxed, emabarrassed, de-pantsed (insert your fav expression here) by Florida in both the football and basketball national championship games.......I guess I would be a little butt-hurt too.

3. The vast majority of osu fans are classless. It's really not a debate amongst anyone who has been exposed to them. You know the best way to tell that you are talking to a decent osu fan is that he is embarrassed of the other 80%. Let me know the last time people ran around kicking random car doors in Ann Arbor bc Michigan won a big game (happened to my car parked right on High Street by a dude painted in scarlet and grey. Saw it with my own eyes -- he was a lucky, lucky man that I couldn't get to the street in time. If you fail to admit that osu fans(and Browns fans for that matter) are primarily an eyesore to the state.....then you clearly do not fall into that microscopic group of osu fans who behehave like humans.

4. Every team, on some level has obnoxious fans. The difference here is that it is celebrated. When Bo's passing was announced, dozens of people cheered in that bar -- and not ONE osu fan stood up and said "hey, that's probably not the thing to do". DO you think they cheered in Ann Arbor when Woody passed? Hopefully you have more sense than that (I'm still optimistic)

1. Find me another school in the Big Ten who has come CLOSE to as many off the field football issues as osu in the past 20 yrs. With Michigan doing the absolutely unconscionable by bringing in richrod, that will likely change in the near future however. That is the type of guy who truly belongs on osu's staff. Get caught with a 15 yr old dancing on your apt coffee table after you got her drunk? No problem. Soon Michigan will go from a respected character program to another (dare I say it) osu.

2. Any comment an osu fan makes about Florida is immediately void. I have seen an anti-Gator movement the past few yrs in this state that is unfathomable. The bias is such a joke that you can't get buckeye fans to admit they would like to have Tebow running their offense:silly:. Of course, if my school got waxed, emabarrassed, de-pantsed (insert your fav expression here) by Florida in both the football and basketball national championship games.......I guess I would be a little butt-hurt too.

1) I'm not so sure over the past 20 years, considering my age, but I'm almost positive Penn State blew every school in the nation out of the water this year with student-athlete violations, specifically their football team (I'll take responsibility for saying it, pretty sure I remember seeing in on tv when espn was drooling over JoePa):silly: Anyway, yes, OSU has some issues. So do a lot of schools, Clarett was a complete embarrassment, teams like VATech aren't without their Vicks and neither are NFL teams (see PacMan, Chris Henry - both of which are from West Virginia by the way and don't tell me they were attending classes and all that jazz). Point is, yea, OSU is bad, but so are a lot of places, you're just stuck in a place you hate. Hell, wasn't it USC or Cal where the backup punter stabbed the dude that took over his job? Yes, unfortunately it is true that MANY schools, including OSU, place sports over academics and life skills quite often. Hell, I go to Miami University in Ohio and it's obvious how many perks athletes HERE get, but the whole conversation about athletes getting used or being spoiled is a different topic. Ohio State is bad because they are supposed to be the pinnacle of collegiate sports in this are and so they do whatever is necessary, in your opinion it may be worse than other places, but some may see that differently. The campus is relatively dirty, ugly and city-like so it seems to foster that kind of attitude at times - I will give you that but others likely have the same opinion and differing opinions about other schools.

2) You answered your own question. Of course buckeye fans hate Florida and would make idiotic statements like that - after getting embarrassed twice by Florida it's natural to have resentment. See Redskins vs. NFC East team fans. There are the fans that go and enjoy the game and there are the drunk obnoxious fans and several in between and almost every year there is a thread about someone being intolerant of one or the other. It's sports. It brings out the best and worst in people. Anyone in college would love to have Tebow as their QB, even if Buckeyes hate him right now. Any team would also love to have Pryor on their roster as well. I'm sorry I'm not sorry you probably won't find a whole lot of sympathy from most people around here for ranting about your opinions of OSU as to why James Laurinitis would not be the right choice talent-wise for the Redskins. I don't want us to pick him either, I think he's fine character-wise but is too small and I don't think he'll translate to a first-round worthy pick in the NFL.

I love the "it happens everywhere else" excuses that OSU always has. Until they adopt a new way of playing they'll always suck against speed teams.

Archived