Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's speech to Congress 2/24/2009. Did you even watch it?

dockeryfan

you would be right to a point. Most of bush's spending came for the war. You can make a case that the other spending was to bailout the banks. Regardless of whether you disagree with the war or not, if you are in a war, you have to spend, that's a given right?

So what part of Obamas blaming bush for spending should we take seriously??

Come-on now Bush spent like a Democrat across the board which was one of the reasons his popularity collapsed. Prescription drug entitlement ring a bell? Of course now we do have a Democrat and he is just being true to his nature.

i think its more common for them to just shake hands and I have seen past presidents sign some stuff... I think this time Obama had more people coming up to him with requests to sign stuff than the past presidents and extra cameras giving every angle possible probably made it even worse...

Dude's like Elvis right now. That was crazy. I've been watching presidential addresses since Nixon and I never saw anything like that.

well, if he can pull that off and save my moms life, I'll be forever in his corner (albeit grumbling about taxes, I'm sure!)

I am stunned that a smart man like him would put himself out there like that.

I am sorry to hear about your Mom SS; however, there are cancers that are cured/remission is the word medical professionals use.

To be able to cure cancer - well, he will end up a genetic, tumor cell genius. I don't think he has it in him.

But again, sorry to hear about your Mom - I've said a prayer for her.

yes, I believe he even added within the next 10 years

lol. He never said he would cure cancer in 10 years. Did Rush say that?

"Our recovery plan will invest in electronic health records and new technology that will reduce errors, bring down costs, ensure privacy, and save lives. It will launch a new effort to conquer a disease that has touched the life of nearly every American by seeking a cure for cancer in our time. And it makes the largest investment ever in preventive care, because that is one of the best ways to keep our people healthy and our costs under control."

That's all he said with regard to cancer. One sentence. No guarantee of anything. Just a new effort.

"Our recovery plan will invest in electronic health records and new technology that will reduce errors, bring down costs, ensure privacy, and save lives. It will launch a new effort to conquer a disease that has touched the life of nearly every American by seeking a cure for cancer in our time. And it makes the largest investment ever in preventive care, because that is one of the best ways to keep our people healthy and our costs under control."

That's all he said with regard to cancer. One sentence. No guarantee of anything. Just a new effort.

No, Rush didn't say it (or I don't think he said it, I didn't listen to him today) however, with all the other falsehoods that were covered - a person can't be blamed for hoping this would be the turth - within 10 years. But some of the news media was mentioning years - and without researching it, I concured. "My bad"

It's always interesting to watch the notably unbalanced react to the noises they make up in their head. Reading around today (not just ES), I find those people who are beyond even being very partisan, and are simply a little nuts. :)

It's also a little unfortunate that some people, even of the less-whacko variety, would just easily believe Obama (or even Bush) would say soemthing like "he'd cure cancer" or close to it. Additionally, it;'s unfortuante some are just too intellectualy lazy or dishonest to make a simple effort to seek the truth. Some types actually seem to thrive on spreading their ignorant, and I'd suggest, unhealthy, nonsense.

So while this is being said all over the netz by goofies everywhere, and while not ignoring that Obabam's speech is open to plenty of reasonable attack for his "goals" or promises" list as well as his policies, what he said in this case (and it shouldn't take that much of a brain to figure as much) is as follows:

"Our recovery plan will invest in electronic health records and new technology that will reduce errors, bring down costs, ensure privacy, and save lives.

It will launch a new effort to conquer a disease that has touched the life of nearly every American, including me, by seeking a cure for cancer in our time."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/24/sotn.obama.transcript/

even just googling yields other articles, sources and transcripts provides valid facts and not some made-up BS.

Now how weird is that (what he actually said)? :rolleyes:

This country would be better off without the whackjobs on either side, but that's reality---and reality, as we commonly use the term, is something some folks seem to have real trouble perceiving with much observational objectivity or basic skill.

Another epic Jumbo pwn.

And I have nothing of value to add, either. So I won't try.

If I read the thread correctly; dockeryfan pwnd the original poster ljs ;)

Accuracy and transparency - however, Jumbo's posts leads me to believe he gets wound up from reading - to accurately quote:

It's always interesting to watch the notably unbalanced react to the noises they make up in their head. Reading around today (not just ES), I find those people who are beyond even being very partisan, and are simply a little nuts. :)

Perhaps the reading around makes him piquant and pungent on his post(s)?

I'm not sure where you got that I was some conservative religious right fanatic that listens to Rush Limbaugh....try not to put everyone who voted for McCain in one box....we won't fit.

If I read the thread correctly; dockeryfan pwnd the original poster ljs ;)

)?

I didn't say it was for sure....how was I pawned by saying I think he mentioned a number of years. I watched the whole thing, but some things were hard to hear due to all of the clapping...

And if you read my original post about it...I gave him kudos...in a few areas.

I watched the entire thing, I also watched Bobby Jihndal's speach afterward.

I don't agree with the way Obama is approachign health care, but we'll see what happens.

I'm glad he addressed/called out parents. Parents need to be more active in raising good people...too many thugs and criminals and people who don't want to take responsibiltiy for living a good life.

Pelosi annoyed the hell outta me. Sit down and stop clapping after every 3 words.

I found it funny that depending on what he was saying, the camera would turn toward certain people.

All in all, he is a great speaker, no doubt. I may not agree with his policiies, but am glad that he is trying to get the American people pumped up.

here i'll quote myself for those that didn't want to read it in the first place.

I'm giving props to Obama....really surprised you all didn't catch that.:doh:

I forgot to mention that in my extremely long list above; but that is what I heard also.

Error on my post as far as the 10 year quote; launch a new quest to conquer the disease within our lifetime would be accurate.

I'm sicker than a dog, working 11 hrs days, and I just now have some time to "hang out' on here. I did everything I could to stay awake and watch that last night. So if I misunderstood something he said...wow, send the wolves after me.

I was defending Obama today...can you believe? I actually was happy to hear some of the things, or nearly most of the things he said last night, espically the last 15 minutes. Which to me was more of a pep rally. Hey, we need that a lil bit don't ya think?

And while I don't always agree with him, I've said on here before that he is my president and I support him. I even shed a few tears when they showed support for our military, but that has a lot to do with how I feel about our service and those who serve.

Anyway, funny how b/c people know I voted for Mccain, they attack me like I'm a wack job and fail to see that I'm actualy being way more open minded about him than most "conservatives" on this board, or in the real world for that matter.

I'm sicker than a dog, working 11 hrs days, and I just now have some time to "hang out' on here. I did everything I could to stay awake and watch that last night. So if I misunderstood something he said...wow, send the wolves after me.

I was defending Obama today...can you believe? I actually was happy to hear some of the things, or nearly most of the things he said last night, espically the last 15 minutes. Which to me was more of a pep rally. Hey, we need that a lil bit don't ya think?

And while I don't always agree with him, I've said on here before that he is my president and I support him. I even shed a few tears when they showed support for our military, but that has a lot to do with how I feel about our service and those who serve.

Anyway, funny how b/c people know I voted for Mccain, they attack me like I'm a wack job and fail to see that I'm actualy being way more open minded about him than most "conservatives" on this board, or in the real world for that matter.

:) I'm not attacking you, I'm defending you - for I know I heard it on TV about the 10 yr "thing" - but the black and white print of CNN stated different and with no way to video show the ABC news this morning (might have been early - but I heard less then 10 years attached to this cancer cure statement);

but what the heck - I get pwned everyday because I am a conservative and I don't believe anything/ or hardly anything O has to say ;) - along with his dogs, pelosi and reid

But who cares "what they have to say"; you add value in many areas and kudos to you for finding positives and hope from the address last night~ for it looks like my 16 hr work days will get longer to pay my bills on time - as others don't have too. And I hope some of my employers - who fit into the 250+k wage earners will keep jobs and not cut jobs to make tax payments that are ear marked for bs pet projects.

So my hope goes out the window with the generalized and typical "yes we can" statements eluded to by O. For you see, his "yes we can" applies to rasing taxes and spending outside of their budget, do they even have a budget?

Jeez, give me that printing press O.

Yea like just get the cliff notes from Rush. :doh:

Not to appear argumentative DC :); but alot of people get their koolaid comments from ABC, CBS and NBC. No different then Rush, IMO.

With Rush, you can tell and you are made aware of his opinion on the topic - but it is just that, his opinion - you can agree or disagree, but the reporting is there. With the other medias, not so easy to interpet the reporting from opinion of the single media reporting with personal political persuasion.

I didn't say it was for sure....how was I pawned by saying I think he mentioned a number of years. I watched the whole thing, but some things were hard to hear due to all of the clapping...

And if you read my original post about it...I gave him kudos...in a few areas.

I don't have time to respond to D'kans latest misperceptions now, but I do want to quickly note that I don't think you were "pwned" ljs, nor are you someone I see as any "whackjob" just for the record. :) More later.

To me the best part of the speech was where he spoke about how high school degrees will not cut it in our country (and by extension & inference, the world). I can't get on board w/all the 20 somethings that take it as manna from heaven and don't break it down on any level but DAMMIT! we do need some good vibes at this point in time.

:) I'm not attacking you' date=' I'm defending you - for I know I heard it on TV about the 10 yr "thing" - but the black and white print of CNN stated different and with no way to video [u']show[/u] the ABC news this morning (might have been early - but I heard less then 10 years attached to this cancer cure statement);

Why would ABC News this morning spin that Obama would cure cancer in 10 years? Aren't they the liberal media? WHy would they say something that would make Obama look bad?

I linked to the actual speech with the youtube links. You can watch it, and he never says 10 years. He says exactly what is in the written transcript. I also kind of like how you implied that the black and white CNN transcript had somehow omitted what you remember. What do you think this is, the X-files?? A conspiracy by CNN? The truth is out there!!1!

Just watch the actual speech again, if you don't believe me.

AND ljs, if you made a simple error, I'm not going to sweat you too much. It's just that people were running with this curing cancer thing, and it's a load of crap. People were trying to latch on to things like that and deflect attention away from what was a really nice speech.

Archived