Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's speech to Congress 2/24/2009. Did you even watch it?

dockeryfan

I'm talking to a few people today, and I'm amazed at how many people have an opinion on Obama's speech, and didn't even watch it. They have an opinion on the rebuttal, and didn't even know what they are rebutting. They admitted to "reading" the speech. I read it ( after watching it) and there is no way these ADD riddled individuals read this. I can't believe it.

Take some time and watch the speech. At least so you don't sound like an idiot spouting what somebody else is telling you. Listen to it from the source, and make your own mind, instead of acting like lemmings.

Even if you only watch part of it, at least you will know what you are arguing about.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Transcript

If you can't get beyond your hate for Obama or whatever and just can't stand looking at him, you can read along as he speaks. I think his speech has more impact if you actually listen to it rather than reading words on a page, but whatever floats your boat. It's actually a really good speech. It even has some humor in it where he gets both Democrats and Republicans to stand up, and he makes a small joke. That stuff is completely lost in a transcript.

At least so you don't sound like an idiot spouting what somebody else is telling you. Listen to it from the source, and make your own mind, instead of acting like lemmings.

But it's so much easier to just adopt someone else's opinon than to actually read or watch something.

/sarcasm.

I watched as long as I could. The amount of brown nosing that was going on in that chamber was making me ill to my stomach.

There were a couple moments that made me smile and a couple more that made me say "huh?" but overall...... More of the same, he's a really good cheerleader! I hope in 4 years I can take out the cheer part. :silly:

I watched but only made it 20 minutes because I cant stand that crap with standing O's every minute or so and Pelosi was soooo annoying as Ms Cheerleader. Politics is sooo nauseating sometimes.

Besides that I thought he gave a good speech (as he usually does) and while I am not a supporter, he did a good job selling his agenda. He is still only a month or so in, so I am trying not to be a bitter partisan about stuff.

If the mortgage plan is what he says - helps people who arent delinquint who are now in a tough situation b/c of falling home values, then I am all for it. He did a very good job on the stimulus - I still am not sure the construction jobs created will last past a few months - but I am no expert.

I honestly havent seen him speak much and I was impressed. Overall: B+

I watched the whole boring thing :) plus the rebuttal, not much excitemente in that one either.

A few things struck me.

1. Obama blamed Bush for his spending yet his plan is to spend triple to quadruple what bush spent. That to me just doesn't make any sense.

2. Obama Made mention of the cost of fighting in Iraq and made negative comments regarding bush's secretive spending for it, yet he's going to continue in Afgan.

3. He's doing exactly what he said he would by going after the rich in this country to pay for his pet projects.

4. He's trying to get nationalized health care.

I personally enjoyed the republicans booing him when he made the comment about the spending bill NOT having any earmarks in it.

To say that takes alot of balls, since his newest spending bill has over 1000 earmarks in it.

Finally, I know alot of people have said that the republicans are hypocrits for speaking out against all this spending when they weren't fiscally responsible, however, isn't that kinda the same issue when Obama accuses Bush of spending, when he and congress are going to OUT SPEND bush when all is said and done maybe 3 to 1??

IMO I think we headed for financial ruin in a few years is Obama keeps up this Govt needs to spend to correct policy.

I was watching Hockey. But maybe I will watch the speech tonight since everyone seems to think it was pretty good.

By the time the speech started I was in an awful mood from the collapsing 3rd period.

I think the Flyers tied and then took the lead in the time it took the President to walk into the chamber and start speaking

The part in the beginning where everyone comes out and glad-hands with all of the Senators and they smile real big and pretend like they all love each other for the cameras is probably one of the more disgusting displays of democracy in existence.

Could they be any more artificial and full of ****?

It really is nauseating.

Finally, I know alot of people have said that the republicans are hypocrits for speaking out against all this spending when they weren't fiscally responsible, however, isn't that kinda the same issue when Obama accuses Bush of spending, when he and congress are going to OUT SPEND bush when all is said and done maybe 3 to 1??

IMO I think we headed for financial ruin in a few years is Obama keeps up this Govt needs to spend to correct policy.

i didnt watch the speech yet so i cant comment on speech itself..

however, comparing Obama's stimulous bill to Bush's spending is comparing apples and oranges. Alot of Obama's spending now is just trying to keep the economy on life support before it really tanks to point of no return (in the near future). I think even McCain would have had comparable size bill on the table if he won the election. We need to wait until economy gets settled and see how Obama deals with his promise of "streamlining" government.

i didnt watch the speech yet so i cant comment on speech itself..

however, comparing Obama's stimulous bill to Bush's spending is comparing apples and oranges. Alot of Obama's spending now is just trying to keep the economy on life support before it really tanks to point of no return (in the near future). I think even McCain would have had comparable size bill on the table if he won the election. We need to wait until economy gets settled and see how Obama deals with his promise of "streamlining" government.

you would be right to a point. Most of bush's spending came for the war. You can make a case that the other spending was to bailout the banks. Regardless of whether you disagree with the war or not, if you are in a war, you have to spend, that's a given right?

So what part of Obamas blaming bush for spending should we take seriously??

I watched the TOTAL Congressional address; in fact someone could state I was glued to the screen. ;) I was looking for an answer to my mistrust.

IMO,

Too much applause on generalization issues not specifically addressed with his speech - other then, if you don't agree with him he'll unleash fisty joe and his unions on ya

Too much of pelosi sitting behind him rolling her eyes, looking snotty and smug; along with Fisty Joe whispering back and forth

Too many math errors - Rich = 2%; 97% of Americans are middle class - so where is the other 1%?

Lowering taxes on the tax payers making less than 250k; what about the business owners that employ people who make more than 250k - didn't address how he was going to help them other than raise their taxes. Folks these people are most of the employers of American workers; they are not the 1% that outsource overseas. With his taxing 250+ he is going to create a business owner to employ less Americans so that they can pay their capital gains tax. Cracked me up that congress and his wife was applauding hsi tax increase for the rich - doesn't he make 400,000 a year prior to taxes as President?

His statement of education killed me with laughter; how does he expect to keep high schoolers in high school and then go onto college? I disagreed with the no child left behind - primarily, this tied the hands of educators not to hold a student back that couldn't read for fear of attacks from parents plus, this act also bringing educational performance standards down- nationwide. So, the student that isn't truly passing the courses gets by on D's and D-'s until either, 1. They get through school not being able to read, or 2. They drop out. How do I know this? I am an educator.

Too much chatter around the pork that are in the past three bills passed, one by Bush and one by him and one awaiting his signature

He is awarding bad behavior on housing - in spite of what he states, he is supporting bad behavior.

He should not have slipped when referencing Greensburg Kansas with Texas

He sure slammed the execs of banking; however, his bill has pork for furniture for his departments in the figures of millions (plus other pork projects)- doesn't practice what he states he represents

He sure likes giggin' the Republicans and then extends his hand and expects the people representing the Republicans to get on board his train? I actually saw the Right side of the room almost standing up and wiggling their butts as if to say "Na na na na na" to the Left side of the room. Adults wanted in Congress - please; yes, I know - I expect alot.

Too much unanswered questions left me with no hope with his healthcare plan. A nationalized healthcare system is not what we need. Just ask Canada. Ensuring that there is no waste with Medicare; if they can't control medicare waste, how does the government expect to control a nationalized healthcare?

No torture? Good for him - and we, as Americans and our Armed Forces can expect the enemiers of their country to also not torture. His Iran is now Afganistan. Welcome to war mongering.

Too much government control, too little control given to people for individual outcome.

So, Yes we can, wtf, we can what? We, as Americans have always crawled out of the whole that we have been slammed into - and NOT just being slammed into the whole by "just" the GOP, so his message isn't motavational, its a reality of what this country has always done.

Therefore, (I still have more opinions on his address- but this is enough), I am still scared of him and his congress and what debt they are piling onto us, as taxpayers and citizens within 2 weeks of taking control of this congress.

you would be right to a point. Most of bush's spending came for the war. You can make a case that the other spending was to bailout the banks. Regardless of whether you disagree with the war or not, if you are in a war, you have to spend, that's a given right?

So what part of Obamas blaming bush for spending should we take seriously??

yeah you really can't blame Bush for if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he acted with best intentions with information that he had which turned out to be untrue... but I do agree with you there... if your country is at war regardless if you agree with it or not then its your duty as citizen to contribute one way or another.

I thinks its the same case here with the current financial situation. Everyone needs to give up something to fix the problem. The rich might have to pay little higher taxes. The middle class might just have to live little more frugally. The people in welfare have to stop just living off the system without giving any productivity back. The older generations might have to push off that retirement few years. The younger just have realize that you are not entitled to a better life but only entitled a chance for a better life so you need to work and earn it.

People need to look at themselves to see what they can do to help the country as a whole move forward instead of trying to push that burdon on someone else. Like it or not, your fate is tied to the fate of this great nation.

Too much applause on generalization issues not specifically addressed with his speech - other then' date=' if you don't agree with him he'll unleash fisty joe and his unions on ya[/quote']

If all you are going to do is make things up, then it really doesn't matter if you actually watched. You're going to hear what you want to hear. Furniture bills? Awarding bad behavior on housing? He SPECIFICALLY stated that he wasn't going to protect the neighbor that bought too much house. You just don't believe him, so you dismiss it out of hand.

But you watched, so you say, so I'll give you that.

I watched the entire thing, I also watched Bobby Jihndal's speach afterward.

I don't agree with the way Obama is approachign health care, but we'll see what happens.

I'm glad he addressed/called out parents. Parents need to be more active in raising good people...too many thugs and criminals and people who don't want to take responsibiltiy for living a good life.

Pelosi annoyed the hell outta me. Sit down and stop clapping after every 3 words.

I found it funny that depending on what he was saying, the camera would turn toward certain people.

All in all, he is a great speaker, no doubt. I may not agree with his policiies, but am glad that he is trying to get the American people pumped up.

If all you are going to do is make things up, then it really doesn't matter if you actually watched. You're going to hear what you want to hear. Furniture bills? Awarding bad behavior on housing? He SPECIFICALLY stated that he wasn't going to protect the neighbor that bought too much house. You just don't believe him, so you dismiss it out of hand.

But you watched, so you say, so I'll give you that.

Yes, I watched - no doubt; I didn't watch the U tubes tho; and you would have to agree after watching the u tubes or watching the speech last evening:

He indicated this wasn't going to protect the neighbor that bought to much house- he can't specifically control the loans or restructuring of those loans; left no way to follow up on the banking system and their restructuring to ensure bad practices or illl fated loans won't be given again.

Quote from speech:http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/24/sotn.obama.transcript/

Second -- second, we have launched a housing plan that will help responsible families facing the threat of foreclosure lower their monthly payments and refinance their mortgages.

It's a plan that won't help speculators or that neighbor down the street who bought a house he could never hope to afford, but it will help millions of Americans who are struggling with declining home values, Americans who will now be able to take advantage of the lower interest rates that this plan has already helped to bring about. In fact, the average family who refinances today can save nearly $2,000 per year on their mortgage.

but just before that he stated:

The concern is that, if we do not re-start lending in this country, our recovery will be choked off before it even begins. You see, the flow of credit is the lifeblood of our economy. The ability to get a loan is how you finance the purchase of everything from a home to a car to a college education, how stores stock their shelves, farms buy equipment, and businesses make payroll.

But credit has stopped flowing the way it should. Too many bad loans from the housing crisis have made their way onto the books of too many banks. And with so much debt and so little confidence, these banks are now fearful of lending out any more money to households, to businesses, or even to each other.

When there's no lending, families can't afford to buy homes or cars, so businesses are forced to make layoffs. Our economy suffers even more, and credit dries up even further.

That is why this administration is moving swiftly and aggressively to break this destructive cycle, to restore confidence, and restart lending.

SO..........with historical remarks, such as - banks don't want to own homes - you don't think the banks along with the adminstration isn't going attempt to restructure speculation loans- since Americans will scream - this is my primary residence and it is not my fault that home values declined, I lost my job, or I was dupped into a bad loan to begin with?

Therefore, I am not dismissing anything sir - I am listening to what he states and attempting an evaluation of his statements/promises/hope

I haven't really been around for many other presidents.....is it common for him to sign autographs on his way out after the speech?

That really rubbed me the wrong way.

i think its more common for them to just shake hands and I have seen past presidents sign some stuff... I think this time Obama had more people coming up to him with requests to sign stuff than the past presidents and extra cameras giving every angle possible probably made it even worse...

Archived