Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Snyder preparing the team for Cowher's 3-4 Defense?

TheGoodBits

Bear with me for a sec before you bash the post...

Think about this: apparently we are going to pick up Albert Haynesworth, according to the reports out today. We are also reportedly very interested in Brian Orakpo in the first round.

Now both of these guys, especially Haynesworth, can be pretty effective in a 4-3 defense.

But they are also VERY well suited to a 3-4 as well. Haynesworth as a 3-4 NT, and Orakpo as a linebacker.

So when I was thinking about these two possibly being Redskins, I got to thinking that perhaps Snyder isn't so sure about Jim Zorn as HC. Maybe he is bringing these guys in with the knowledge that if Zorn fails this year he has Cowher waiting to come in. Think of it as an insurance policy.

I'm not saying that I think Snyder will definitely bring in Cowher or fire Zorn, I'm just thinking that maybe part of his thinking is that IF Zorn doesn't work he will already have the pieces in place for Cowher to run his defense.

Thoughts on this? Mindlessly bash if you want...:)

So how are the Skins getting Orakpo, trading up? He wont be there at 13 especially after his combine.

He still might. Tiny Speed Rushers are a dwindling ideal. It used to be speed rushers and big WRs were the "in" draft choice.

Now its Big OL, Strong QBs (although that'll always be in), and Speedy RBs.

With the signing of Haynesworthless about to happen, I am on the official bandwagon of not supporting Vinnius Cerratus (Props to Bang) any longer.

Don't be surprised if Zorn is gone after next year and Rich Kotite is hired. Maybe Jack Pardee - after all, he was a Redskin.

Note to mike florio...

Take your "Redskins are racist" rants elsewhere. No one in this forum or in the organization should ever, ever send him any scoop or info.

if that was the deal dont you think we would of hired a 3-4 def coordinator to get our team READY to switch to it?

dont forget MW in 04 was a linebacker and set at DE at times too. brian orakpo would be the same role. just because we goin for haynesowrth doesnt mean that we are switchin. considering haynesworth plays 4-3, orakpo played both, and uor team is a 4-3. i dontn see it happening

Won't happen for many reasons but here is the biggest: Andre Carter. He cannot play OLB and is way too small to be a 3-4 DE. Couple that with the fact that he is on the books for several more years and that suggests the 4-3 will be here for awhile.

Also Blache is the antithesis of a 3-4 defensive coordinator.

Won't happen for many reasons but here is the biggest: Andre Carter. He cannot play OLB and is way too small to be a 3-4 DE. Couple that with the fact that he is on the books for several more years and that suggests the 4-3 will be here for awhile.

Also Blache is the antithesis of a 3-4 defensive coordinator.

Yeah that is a good point. My only thinking is that this might BEGIN to put some pieces in place if Cowher decided he wanted to coach in DC. We definitely would still need to pick up some other players first.

Yeah that is a good point. My only thinking is that this might BEGIN to put some pieces in place if Cowher decided he wanted to coach in DC. We definitely would still need to pick up some other players first.

There are alot of IF's needed for this to come to fruition, mainly Cowher being a HC in DC (which I see happening the same day that the Skins are owned by Jerry Jones).

I personally wouldn't mind the Skins evolving to a 3-4, as I believe that is more the defense of the next decade, but first Blache has to retire/be replaced before we start even adding pieces.

As many have said the 3-4 is not going to happen. Three main reasons - first we are allegedly paying top dollar for a 1 gap DT whoes strength is penetrating and making plays behind the line of scrimmage. He is a prototype 1 gap 4-3 DT. Be a complete waste of his talent and the money to then line him up over the nose and ask him to occupy two blockers.

Secondly we dont have the big DE's you need to play in the 3-4.

Finally we are struggling to find 3 starting calibre linebackers never mind 4.

No for 10 mill a year he would work for Snyder. He won't however work under Vinny just like every coach that laughed at Snyder in the infamous 08 coaching search, well except for Fassell :doh:.

Care to actually post links for this??? People turning down the job because of Vinny, though many on this board would understand, has NEVER been mentioned, so it would be nice to see where you get your inside information from. Unless, of course, if it is coming out of your ass.

Archived