Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins should draft LB Rey Mauluga

Drunken Master III

I would love to draft him. We are in need of that intense player that strikes fear into the other team. We have a solid defense right now, but no one who could do that like Maualuga could. I have seen him play a couple of times this year and I believe he is a very good football player. He has great instincts and a nose for the ball. He is always around the ball trying to get a tackle. I think he could be a Troy Polamalu type player for us, not as good, but still.

A rookie with multiple injuries that kept him out of the lineup who underwent spine surgery is the "long term starter at LT"?

Yes.

Maualaga was a good college player, but the level of talent on that team is more than most schools so good players end up looking great because the opponent has to account for so many players. Taylor Mays is by far the best player on that defense.

You're not saying anything that isn't true, but I don't see what it all has to do with what I said.

USC has a great defense. Taylor Mays is an exceptional player. And every word I said about Maualuga is still true. He's not particularly fluid or disciplined, but he's a wrecking ball who makes impact. And that's something we could use on our particular defense.

I guess either my original post was misunderstood or I phrased it incorrectly. Probably the latter. I understand that you can't judge a player according to the school attended. I meant to say that USC runs more of a pro style O and D than some others schools. Therefore players like Mauluga may be more NFL ready. Of course there are exceptions that turn out to be busts. Mauluga could end up falling into that category but I don't think its likely.

If I were the Skins, I would draft Rey Mauluga and put him at SLB until Fletcher retires. After that happens I'd move him to MLB. He could be our very own version of Ray Lewis for several years to come. You almost can't miss with a USC guy. They are bred for the NFL.

Thoughts?

I agree wholeheartedly. This would be a great core addition to the defense. The skins must build the defense in this draft to remain a competitive team. Start with LBs and Dline. I would do anything to get USC safety Taylor Mays in next years draft also.

A rookie with multiple injuries that kept him out of the lineup who underwent spine surgery is the "long term starter at LT"?

Maualaga was a good college player, but the level of talent on that team is more than most schools so good players end up looking great because the opponent has to account for so many players. Taylor Mays is by far the best player on that defense.

You have got to be kidding me. Taylor Mays is the best player on that defense? That's a joke. It's gotta be. He's practically invisible most games. Well, that's cause he's doing his job so nobody is throwing deep says Pete Carroll! Wrong. Opposing qb's rarely get any time to throw the ball deep with USC's talented pass rush. Of course it is going to be dump offs when you don't get any time to pass. I'm sure you've watched all their games and beg to differ, but I've watched all their nationally televised games (of which there were plenty) and I honestly can't recall Mays doing anything spectacular.

You have got to be kidding me. Taylor Mays is the best player on that defense? That's a joke. It's gotta be. He's practically invisible most games. Well, that's cause he's doing his job so nobody is throwing deep says Pete Carroll! Wrong. Opposing qb's rarely get any time to throw the ball deep with USC's talented pass rush. Of course it is going to be dump offs when you don't get any time to pass. I'm sure you've watched all their games and beg to differ, but I've watched all their nationally televised games (of which there were plenty) and I honestly can't recall Mays doing anything spectacular.

Not even comparing the two in any way shape or form as players and I pretty much have a big anti-USC bias, but your post resembles a lot of posts here about ST's play at the beginning of 2007.

Taylor Mays is an athletic freak and opponents account for him and stay away from him.

3-4 defense

LE: Carter

RE: Daniels

NT: Griffin/Montgomery

LOLB: JT (blitzing 50/50)

ROLB: McIntosh

ILB: Fletcher & Mauluga/HB Blades

Well, Carter is too small to be a DE in a 3-4, JT may not be coming back, and I thought we released Daniels. Maybe we can play a 1-6.;)

bit offtopic but you guys think well go after a RB or wait another year? i mean later in the draft of course but after reading the article on nfl.com it seems like there is going to be a ton of talent at the position.(sorry didnt want to start another thread on this but didnt mean to hijack either)

Not even comparing the two in any way shape or form as players and I pretty much have a big anti-USC bias, but your post resembles a lot of posts here about ST's play at the beginning of 2007.

Taylor Mays is an athletic freak and opponents account for him and stay away from him.

Sean never had a pass rush in front of him. ;) Plus he made plays all the time, even before his breakout year here he was unquestionably the most talented player on our d. He may have missed tackles and been sloppy at times, but he also was our only playmaker. See, when he was part of that great miami d, which was every bit as talented as the d USC has, he was the guy making all the plays. He was all over the field lighting people up and picking off passes. I just don't see that in Mays. He was outplayed by at least 3 USC players this year. Mays rarely makes an interception and has about 2 big hits in 3 years. He may be an athletic freak but he just has not put it all together.

See, Ed Reed is a great safety, and I guarantee you teams account for him and try to stay away, but he still gets his 6+ interceptions a year. Eric Berry from Tennessee is unquestionably the best player on their d, and yet he still makes plays. I really don't buy into this teams avoiding Mays mess. If he was as talented as he's hyped to be, don't you think the coaches at USC would put him in position to make more plays? He still has a year to impress I suppose, but Mays is just not a playmaker at safety.

Can't miss with SC players?

Mike Williams

Kineche Udeze

Shaun Cody

Winston Justice

Todd Marinovich

Rob Johnson

Darrell Russell

Reggie Bush

Mike Patterson

USC guys are like free agents instead of draft picks since most already get paid. They also aren't high on the character list.

I don't know how long Maualuga can carry the "free OJ" emotion into the NFL.

You made a pretty bad list if you were trying to prove that USC guys are can't miss. patterson and bush are pretty good, justice, russell, and cody are servicable, which isn't saying much but that is still better than the draft picks we've made the last few years.

Archived