Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins should draft LB Rey Mauluga

Drunken Master III

1) Deuce Luitui

2) Keith Rivers

3) Reggie Bush - anyone who considers him a bust is insane. He's not an every down back but is a gamebreak in the receiving game the special teams game and must be accounted for.

4) LenDale White - again, anyone who considers him a bust must look at where he was taken and his value. He was not drafted to be a primary back, but fills his role as a big, short yardage/goalline back exceptionally well. Look at his number of TD's if you want to disagree.

5) Troy Polamalu

6) Steve Smith has been a pretty good talent when healthy for the Giants.

7) Lofa Tatupu

My point is, they have some very good talent. Yes, EVERY school has busts and guys that live up to their hype or at least are solid in the NFL. In the case of USC players making an impact in the NFL, I would simply say specifically their defensive players rarely underachieve and are often of the hard-working blue collar type. Their offensive players are usually a little more flashy and ****y, it seems like, but when you watch their defense in college it is impressive how they shut people down.

Their defensive players often translate into hard-nosed NFL players that excel at what they do. I would love to have Rey Maualuga on our team.

I wonder how many people, since most on this board live on the East Coast, have watched more than just a game here and there, to come to such an informed opinion on Rey? Don't get me wrong, I know we have college fanatics on here, but this is one solid player and he's the best LB on the board after Curry. I'm no USC backer, actually I hate the whole organization and you do take some chances when you draft from a program w/so many stars (who is legit and who just looks better because the system is rich w/talent?) Rey will not be a bust, no way. He has too many skills and has instincts that you can't teach. And he is by far the best LB on the USC squad. He would be a great pick for us.

I wonder how many people, since most on this board live on the East Coast, have watched more than just a game here and there, to come to such an informed opinion on Rey? Don't get me wrong, I know we have college fanatics on here, but this is one solid player and he's the best LB on the board after Curry. I'm no USC backer, actually I hate the whole organization and you do take some chances when you draft from a program w/so many stars (who is legit and who just looks better because the system is rich w/talent?) Rey will not be a bust, no way. He has too many skills and has instincts that you can't teach. And he is by far the best LB on the USC squad. He would be a great pick for us.

The East Coast hate machine for USC is strong on this board, that much has always been evident.

Saying that, we shouldn't draft Rey. 1st rounder should be used on a ROT to replace Jansen and even if we go the LB route with the 1st rounder I'd stay away from Rey; he reminds me alot of Arrington. That is to say that he plays with reckless abandonment and I'm not sure how long his body will hold out playing like that in the pro's.

Rey is the most intimidating LB I've seen come out of college since Lavar. He makes every play. How many of you guys actually saw Orakapo play? While not taking anything away from him, I just don't think he is intimidating. Cushing is a good coverage backer. Matthews is the wild card, I think he came out too early. That being said, he can put his hand in the dirt as well and I think he makes for an exceptional option in a zone blitz scheme. Depending on what Clint Sintim from UVA did at the combine, he could be a decent mid round pick. I would love to trade down and pick up Matthews at about #20 (Hello Detroit) and receive a third that we could use on an O lineman. I also am not opposed to taking the best O lineman available at #13 and rolling with it.

Mauluga isn't a Ray Lewis.

He's a LaVar Arrington.

There's nothing wrong with that, however. He's a very athletic, very talented player. The only thing is, he has suspect fundamentals. He freelances.

Put him on a team that is very sound, and let him loose. We could be that team, with quality players like Fletcher and Taylor.

Reggie Bush is a bust based on all the hype he had. By any means he may very well be the worst starting RB in the league. I hope no one actually considers him a good pick. He is NOT a gamebreaker on offense and just about all of his good punt returns came from good blocking (watch them, all Bush does is run to a sideline and straight up, he doesn't juke anyone). Larry Johnson has as many 20 yard runs in last season alone as Bush has had in his 3 year career. You can NOT tell me Bush is what he was supposed to be. Sure, he catches a lot of passes, but that is because they force the ball to him constantly and they have dump-off drew brees throwing the ball. He rarely does anything with all those catches, and it is NOT impressive to make a catch out of the backfield alone (it is mostly a wide open catch that I would expect any player to make). Until Bush actually has a great season he is a bust. You don't pick an rb at #2 overall and expect him to be in a committee and you don't pick one that high and have them average only 40 yards rushing per game.

I like Mauluga and think he'll be great, but we've got more pressing needs, and if we're going defense, I'd rather have a guy that can play Sam LB and DE on pass rushing downs, ala Aaron Maybin or Brian Orakpo.

I'd much rather the Skins trade this pick for two picks and get two good interior linemen in the draft or an OT and a Guard, or at least two spots of need, whether it's OLB, DE, or OL.

Archived