Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports/Cole: Taylor to return to Washington

I wonder if we will keep Evans with this news. Probably not. Then by this time next year we will be out two DE's, and Taylor will have had another disappointing season only to retire a Dolphin. If anything, maybe this will close the books on Cerrato. If we are really keeping Taylor without a restructure, he better wow the **** out of me next year. In his own words, he wasn't worth his salary last year.

Are they gonna use him as a LB?

Can he still agree to restructure?

I agree with the one poster that said the only two options are keep or release. Don't restructure, because I doubt JT will simply take a lower base contract. Because of that the skins should not extend the contract beyond next year. Make it easy next year to recover 8 mil in cap space.

Let's see how next season goes and determine if a much lower contract should be offered for a third season. I don't see that happening, but leave the option open.

nothing against taylor or his fans, but I think this is a HUGE mistake... in my opinion, the guy is done and is literally a liability on the field... I really feel it's like we are playing with 10 people when he is out there... that said, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong and have him rebound with a monster season..

I have no problem with this based on a few reasons:

1. The pick is gone. Cutting him doesn't make up for giving up the pick in the first place

2. Our pass rush is terrible. Considerign how bad our rush is, why get rid of someone who is one season removed from a 10 sack season if there's not better option out there?

3. What would we have done with the cap savings we got from him? It would be one thing if cutting him got us Suggs, but I don't want to use $25 million in guaranteed money on Haynesworth and who else is out there to play end that will cost us less then a 1 year commitment for $8 million

That being said, we need to do a couple of things now that he's back (Assuming he's staying at end and isn't moving to linebacker)

1. Move him to RE. There is no reason to not playing a HOF end at his natural position. Carter hasn't done enough here to be entitled to that spot

2. Improve the interior rush. Our production from the outside won't improve until we improve from the interior.....

I have no problem with this based on a few reasons:

1. The pick is gone. Cutting him doesn't make up for giving up the pick in the first place

2. Our pass rush is terrible. Considerign how bad our rush is, why get rid of someone who is one season removed from a 10 sack season if there's not better option out there?

3. What would we have done with the cap savings we got from him? It would be one thing if cutting him got us Suggs, but I don't want to use $25 million in guaranteed money on Haynesworth and who else is out there to play end that will cost us less then a 1 year commitment for $8 million

That being said, we need to do a couple of things now that he's back (Assuming he's staying at end and isn't moving to linebacker)

1. Move him to RE. There is no reason to not playing a HOF end at his natural position. Carter hasn't done enough here to be entitled to that spot

2. Improve the interior rush. Our production from the outside won't improve until we improve from the interior.....

Very logical and very well said. Agreed 100%.

I'm pretty sure we're looking at this year as a wash and looking forward to cleaning house for 2010.

I disagree. If they were truly calling 2009 a wash, they'd cut Taylor. There's no reason to keep him on this roster at 8 mil a year when you can cut him and not incur a cap hit. There is one of two reasons why they are keeping him.

One has already been mentioned. It's nothing more than a face saving move by Snyderrato.

The other is that once again they actually think this team has a chance to win the Super Bowl and thus they hope that a healthy Jason Taylor will do the trick for them.

The first one makes me ill.

The second one now just makes me laugh. I picture Danny and Vinny actually sitting there at Redskins Park thinking that their collective brain is capable of building a Super Bowl contender.:laugh:

I disagree. If they were truly calling 2009 a wash, they'd cut Taylor. There's no reason to keep him on this roster at 8 mil a year when you can cut him and not incur a cap hit. There is one of two reasons why they are keeping him.

One has already been mentioned. It's nothing more than a face saving move by Snyderrato.

The other is that once again they actually think this team has a chance to win the Super Bowl and thus they hope that a healthy Jason Taylor will do the trick for them.

The first one makes me ill.

The second one now just makes me laugh. I picture Danny and Vinny actually sitting there at Redskins Park thinking that their collective brain is capable of building a Super Bowl contender.:laugh:

I disagree, although I agree with the part about it being a face-saving move (if in fact, this is true). I think even Snyder and Vinny know that if we wanted to be good this year, we could spend that $8M a whole lot more wisely. There are a number of good FAs left out there that could boost the line, and wouldn't be 34 year olds in decline.

I think that quote came from the interview he did on 980 or something last week when they caught him off guard on the Jason Taylor question. The other thing I remember is him saying that we will have a lot of cap room before the start of free agency. So I assume they have some plan to free up some space and be able to afford to keep him.

If this is true, I totally agree. Yes, he Jason Taylor and had some great seasons, but he was ineffective last year and won't be much if any better next year. His 8 mill. salary SHOULD be used on other players of need.

Obviously the Redskins think he'll play better next season.

This a terrible move, I'm sorry.

I was all for the trade to get him last year because it was necessary. Bringing him back for $8 million is not necessary at all!

He is one of the worst DE's that I've ever seen at this point in his career. He has no way to get to the QB besides his speed rush (which has severely diminished). He doesn't have the strength to bullrush a tackle and was manhandled all year.

The only way I could see this working is if we move him to OLB and let him rush the passer. I don't think they'll move him though.

Jason Taylor is robbing us and Vinny is so incompetent it hurts.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I see this as an awful move.

Archived