Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports/Cole: Taylor to return to Washington

This a terrible move, I'm sorry.

I was all for the trade to get him last year because it was necessary. Bringing him back for $8 million is not necessary at all!

He is one of the worst DE's that I've ever seen at this point in his career. He has no way to get to the QB besides his speed rush (which has severely diminished). He doesn't have the strength to bullrush a tackle and was manhandled all year.

The only way I could see this working is if we move him to OLB and let him rush the passer. I don't think they'll move him though.

Jason Taylor is robbing us and Vinny is so incompetent it hurts.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I see this as an awful move.

The guy was hurt the ENTIRE season. How is it after one year, where he was hurt the whole year, he all of a sudden doesnt have strength and has no way to get to the QB when the dude has more sacks than any active player in the league?

If he fails this year, when healthy, then we'll cut ties. But he hasnt had a fair shake. We all cry about needing a pass rush and one of the best in the league is on our roster. Lets bring him out healthy and see what he can do.

Guest Barricade
The guy was hurt the ENTIRE season. How is it after one year, where he was hurt the whole year, he all of a sudden doesnt have strength and has no way to get to the QB when the dude has more sacks than any active player in the league?

If he fails this year, when healthy, then we'll cut ties. But he hasnt had a fair shake. We all cry about needing a pass rush and one of the best in the league is on our roster. Lets bring him out healthy and see what he can do.

Exactly what I was thinking. He may be aging, but it doesn't mean we can't get a year out of him...hell maybe even a very productive year at full capacity.

I see the reasoning that he never really had a chance to be healthy and be his regular self for us. I had hoped that he could make the trade less of a complete bust by stepping up his game this coming year. To me, the problem is that $8 million is a lot for a guy who only had one good game for your team, while picking up multiple leg injuries. No, we aren't in cap hell, but we don't have tons of space.

The problem is we're sacrificing $8 million in cap space for Taylor, when that money could likely be used much better in helping to our improve our OL, DL, and/or LB situations. It handcuffs the teams from having the flexibility to make moves because of a reliance again on having a aging vet try to live up to his play in the past.

How do you know that he won't be hurt the entire season this year? After a year-long injury and another year of age it seems that much more likely that he will get injured this year.

My response to the strength question is that he is already a small DE. When he can't get any drive out of his leg and the OT doesn't respect his speed rush how is he going to get a bull rush? I didn't see him drive an OT backwards a significant amount at all this year.

Why wait until next year to cut ties when we can cut him now and save $8 million and evaluate younger options?

While I'd love to see JT succeed, I just don't see it happening.

How do you know that he won't be hurt the entire season this year? After a year-long injury and another year of age it seems that much more likely that he will get injured this year.

I dont. But after 10+ seasons of 8/9 sacks a year leading up to the most sacks of any active player, I think its worth a shot. Factually speaking, he also had a ridiculous consecutive games played streak going so reality is in our favor that its a good chance to take.

My response to the strength question is that he is already a small DE. When he can't get any drive out of his leg and the OT doesn't respect his speed rush how is he going to get a bull rush? I didn't see him drive an OT backwards a significant amount at all this year.

You answered your own question. He was hurt the entire year. Cant stress this enough.

Why wait until next year to cut ties when we can cut him now and save $8 million and evaluate younger options?

While I'd love to see JT succeed, I just don't see it happening.

Because we need a pass rush. We've got one of the most consistent ends in the league on our roster. Lets see if he can play. If Mario Williams was a free agent and said he would play for the Skins in 2009 for $8M for 1yr, yes I would agree. But thats not happening.

Im not guaranteeing JT has a great year, Im just saying it makes perfect sense to keep this guy around.

Good move, I think we should have restructured him though.

He needs another chance to prove himself because he was practically injured the whole year.

I agree. He needs to come back healthy. It seems that he was hurt most of the season and just couldn't play up to his potential. Let's hope he stays healthy. I wish he would re-structure his contract though.

It doesn't shock me at all that he will be back. When you invest that much in him and you have such a snakebit season as Taylor had last season, you really want to see what will happen with another year.

I'll wait to see what they decide to do overall with the team to see if his big cap charge is a good idea or not. It is possible that they could extend him, which wouldn't be a "restructure", but can lower his cap charge for this season.

Vinny strikes again... gotta love it. Sure wish we still had that 2nd round pick!!

This simple statement says it all. There is always a domino effect with Vinny's moves, wherein one flawed decision leads to an ensuing ripple of epic mistakes.

Vinny refused to take a DE in last year's draft like Merling in the 1st, or Campbell with one of our 2nd round picks, despite our injury history and lack of depth at DE. ---> He then made a desperation move to vastly overpay, both in salary and draft picks, for an aging veteran who doesn't fit our scheme even slightly. ---> Now, as a result of those moves we neither have our young franchise DE of the future, nor do we have our desperately needed 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft, leaving us with holes at 2 starting positions that could already be filled with young, future stars.

Now it's time to save face, and that means overpaying a guy miscast for his LDE role in our scheme, as our run defense suffers mightily... and what will be the next domino to fall? Perhaps coming up $4-8 million short in guaranteed money in our efforts to extend D. Hall, costing us yet another young piece of the puzzle for the future? The Jason Taylor trade has already cost us a chance to draft a future starter on the OL like Mack, Loadholt with our #2. Might the money allocated to bringing back Taylor also cost us D. Hall?

I guess we'll see, but unless this is posturing to try to build at least a small trade market for Taylor, then it's a huge mistake. Our run defense was vastly improved in games where Evans started over Taylor, which makes this a bad move for the present and the future.

Vinny refused to take a DE in last year's draft like Merling in the 1st, or Campbell with one of our 2nd round picks, despite our injury history and lack of depth at DE. ---> He then made a desperation move to vastly overpay, both in salary and draft picks, for an aging veteran who doesn't fit our scheme even slightly. ---> Now, as a result of those moves we neither have our young franchise DE of the future, nor do we have our desperately needed 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft, leaving us with holes at 2 starting positions that could already be filled with young, future stars.

Other than wishing that Merling would have dropped to us in the 2nd round, I have little regret in how our draft fell out. Also, even drafting either of those guys wouldn't necessarily have precluded us from trading for Taylor if it was judged that either of those guys weren't ready for prime time. Campbell in particular showed nothing last year and Merling's impact was pretty limited.

Now it's time to save face, and that means overpaying a guy miscast for his LDE role in our scheme, as our run defense suffers mightily... and what will be the next domino to fall? Perhaps coming up $4-8 million short in guaranteed money in our efforts to extend D. Hall, costing us yet another young piece of the puzzle for the future? The Jason Taylor trade has already cost us a chance to draft a future starter on the OL like Mack, Loadholt with our #2. Might the money allocated to bringing back Taylor also cost us D. Hall?

Well, the only people saying he's miscast are those who aren't involved with the organization. Certainly, he wasn't a drop-in replacement for Daniels, but he was an every down DE for years and to say that Blache can't adjust to what he does best does a disservice to our coaching staff. BTW, it does seem that the coaching staff is fully behind this decision.

Second, I doubt keeping him will affect resigning Hall at all. Usually the first year money is usually the least because of the signing bonus. Most of the determination of whether or not he stays will probably depend on how much cap space the team is willing to commit to the future for him.

What it can affect, tho, is how active we are in signing FAs this offseason. We'll have to see what's the plan before we figure out if this is a mistake or not.

I guess we'll see, but unless this is posturing to try to build at least a small trade market for Taylor, then it's a huge mistake. Our run defense was vastly improved in games where Evans started over Taylor, which makes this a bad move for the present and the future.

A trade is a possibility (and I don't think it is as small as you think, considering how many teams are going to the 3-4), but even if we keep him, it isn't just about run defense but pass rush as well, and Taylor has been one of the better pass rushers in the league.

I don't know if he will be the full time starter opposite Carter, or if they will decide to move him around, have him play some LB. It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.

No.

He's not worth it.

You think that he's going to get better with age? I don't see it. He had a ridiculous injury that didn't heal up and he was only ever able to get coverage sacks when he WAS healthy.

He's lost it, he shouldn't be here.

Strahan was 38 i believe and was still putting up double digit sack totals. Taylor was injured all season last year and he rushed himself back. There is no better DE on our team currently thats better then him when he is healthy. There is no hinderance to this team as far as cap goes. When has Dan Snyder wanted someone and not gotten him? Right now we need to resign Hall, find a starting SLB, get a younger OL and a pocket collapsing DT. Hall can be resigned even with Taylor taking up 8 mil. So that leaves us with OT, SLB and DT.

What FA OT out there right now could we get that would be a LONG TERM upgrade for us? None! Carey resigned with Miami and that was the closest thing available to a long term upgrade. How about the same thing for a DT? Haynesworth is the only one. His asking price is going to be redic! So he is probably out. Now that leaves us with SLB. There are a few good cheaper options available. Crowder and Crowell are the best fit. Their contracts would be mid level. DT help can be found cheap with Jovan Haye, Colin Cole or Marcus Tubbs. All 3 could be had for cheap.

My point is the while an extra 8 million would be nice to have its going to come off the books next year regardless. There isnt anyone out there who we could get with that money that would be a long term solution.

If the plan is to use Taylor at Right outside linebacker to replace Marcus Washington, then I have no problem with it. If the plan is to put him back at left defensive end where he is not very effective, then yes, it is a stupid move.

Isn't it a shame that we have to wait and see which position he will play in order to see if its a stupid move or a logical must needed move.

Archived