Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minivan Advice

bearrock

ha! they've been fighting that since the 1980s :doh: My mom had a Plymouth Voyager back in the day that needed a new tranny. Thankfully it had a Mistsubishi motor so that part was okay

sheesh.

My grandfather had a Plymouth Caravelle (a short-lived sedan, c. 1985) with a Mitsu mill. Calling it a piece of **** would be kind. Terrible! It had no power, idled bad, there was more valve noise than a VW Beetle, and it broke often. You seem awfully partial to anything foreign, Z-man. Foreign can be good, but IMO foreign doesn't make it good.

Uh, I was joking.:rolleyes:

Is that allowed here?

Not my problem you bought a Chrysler :silly:. My wife's Accord has a bumper to bumper 36k warranty, and we purchased the extended warranty for $300 that covers the car bumper to bumper thru 75k.

But that doesn't matter, because her car has 60k on it and the only thing that has every malfunctioned on it is the sunglass holder. Compare that to my company car (Chevy Trailblazer) that is the biggest hunk of **** in the history of hunks of ****. I could start to tell you about all the problems its had but I don't think we have enough time.

And you're going to PAY for that. Lots.

But don't worry about what I say, check for yourself. Look for a 2007 or 2008 Honda Accord with low miles, full documentation, and in excellent shape within your area. First, I doubt you'll be able to find one. Second, if you do, I doubt you'll save much of anything buying it used.

Like I said I bought my car used and knew the owner. Car hasn't malfunctioned besides the transmission, but even if you had bought a NEW Accord of that same make and model it would most likely needed to be fixed (there was a class action lawsuit against that particular Honda's transmission). In my experience buying used has been great and saved me money so that's the route I go. :2cents:

SUVs just suck in every conceivable way. There is nothing about them that is better than a minivan. And if you think it makes a damn bit of difference to chicks, think again (or stop dating 15 year olds). :laugh:

We have a 2000 Mazda MPV that works great for us. It's like a smaller version of the Honda. Super easy to park - that matters in this city.

I cast another vote for buying used. I got my van with 20k miles on it, with a good warranty, for about 60 percent of the new price. That was worth doing.

Maybe right now, with dealers so totally desperate, it might be the time to buy new. Not usually.

:doh::silly::cheers::notworthy;):puke::2drunks::pint::40oz::koolaid::nana::2drunks::poke::1stplace:

Explanation enough?

I guess I should have quoted more. I don't get it. I tell a guy "jokingly" that he should turn in his mancard if he gets a minivan and then I get a few responses I don't quite understand. Read further up the page to understand where im coming from.

I guess I should have quoted more. I don't get it. I tell a guy "jokingly" that he should turn in his mancard if he gets a minivan and then I get a few responses I don't quite understand. Read further up the page to understand where im coming from.

I did. You sir, need to turn in your man card. You don't know that minivans are the best thing since turbocharged 4 cylinders.

I'm just kidding of course. Don't mind the ES comments. They are for the crazies!:cheers:

No, they're not. Not even close. Useful? Maybe. Cool? No way in hell.

Well, it's no real Hummer, but the doors open by themselves, the seats spin around, there's three rows of seats with lots of room left over and it drives good. It's also one of the safest around. That's great for my kids. It's for them really. I'll get my vette one day.

I did. You sir, need to turn in your man card. You don't know that minivans are the best thing since turbocharged 4 cylinders.

I'm just kidding of course. Don't mind the ES comments. They are for the crazies!:cheers:

turbocharged 4 cylinders are still the best thing around today. minivans? not a chance they shouldnt make any list related to being cool, fast, sporty, attractive, etc...

In general I would never buy a new car again. They're just not good buys. Like one of the early posters said, His/her Honda Odyssey still runs great with 100k miles on it and from all accounts and history, it should run fine for another hundred.

A minivan from a good manufacturer with 50K on it is really just past the break-in period. A base model Odyssey goes for $26,500 but consider as soon as you drive it off the lot it loses 20% of it's value... buying a year old model saves you almost $5,000.

In general I would never buy a new car again. They're just not good buys. Like one of the early posters said, His/her Honda Odyssey still runs great with 100k miles on it and from all accounts and history, it should run fine for another hundred.

A minivan from a good manufacturer with 50K on it is really just past the break-in period. A base model Odyssey goes for $26,500 but consider as soon as you drive it off the lot it loses 20% of it's value... buying a year old model saves you almost $5,000.

In theory, you have it right. But everyone doesn't take care of their car. I'm not buying someone else's junk. Some idiots don't even change their oil.:doh:

turbocharged 4 cylinders are still the best thing around today. minivans? not a chance they shouldnt make any list related to being cool, fast, sporty, attractive, etc...

They're ok, but there's no replacement for displacement, as the cliche goes. A 2L four is stretched about to its limit as soon as that turbo goes on it, and is still often short on horsepower compared to a good V-8 mill, say a 5.7L LS1. That's without even considering the torque advantage you're giving up with a small-displacement engine.

No, they're not. Not even close. Useful? Maybe. Cool? No way in hell.

Same goes for station wagons. Any make, any model, any year. I don't care - they're not cool. Ever.

To the OP, I would agree with the majority of posters here and tell you to buy a Mini-Van. For the first few years of your child's life, the mini-van will be much more functional. My wife has an Odyssey (we have 3 kids, 15, 13, 4), and it is very useful whenever we take all/some subset of them and their friends around. It has two captain's chairs (with a removable middle seat) and a bench seat in the back. The middle row is very comfortable for adults, too.

Since you will be driving a young child, I would highly suggest you buy a vehicle with power sliding doors (much easier to get in/out, especially with full hands), tinted side windows w/shade, side windows that go up/down, and leather (cleans up much easier).

As kids get older and start doing more, I can promise you that SUVs do have their advantages. My son (15) plays ice hockey and lacrosse. Just this last year, I travelled to Toledo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (twice), Princeton, Newark (DE), and upstate N.Y. In case some of you don't know, ice hockey is played in the winter and driving in those areas is MUCH easier with my Pilot (we love our Hondas). The Pilot is easier for loading/unloading his hockey/lax gear as well as the soccer equipment that I use (I coach my daughter's team).

The Pilot is also easier for me to use when I take my dog (Golden, 90 lbs) out for a drive. The rear seat folds down into a nice, flat surface that is resistant to scratches (unlike the MiniVan which just folds down the seats).

Hope this helps.

To the OP, I would agree with the majority of posters here and tell you to buy a Mini-Van. For the first few years of your child's life, the mini-van will be much more functional. My wife has an Odyssey (we have 3 kids, 15, 13, 4), and it is very useful whenever we take all/some subset of them and their friends around. It has two captain's chairs (with a removable middle seat) and a bench seat in the back. The middle row is very comfortable for adults, too.

Since you will be driving a young child, I would highly suggest you buy a vehicle with power sliding doors (much easier to get in/out, especially with full hands), tinted side windows w/shade, side windows that go up/down, and leather (cleans up much easier).

As kids get older and start doing more, I can promise you that SUVs do have their advantages. My son (15) plays ice hockey and lacrosse. Just this last year, I travelled to Toledo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (twice), Princeton, Newark (DE), and upstate N.Y. In case some of you don't know, ice hockey is played in the winter and driving in those areas is MUCH easier with my Pilot (we love our Hondas). The Pilot is easier for loading/unloading his hockey/lax gear as well as the soccer equipment that I use (I coach my daughter's team).

The Pilot is also easier for me to use when I take my dog (Golden, 90 lbs) out for a drive. The rear seat folds down into a nice, flat surface that is resistant to scratches (unlike the MiniVan which just folds down the seats).

Hope this helps.

Agree with most of this post except for two things. My Toyota Sienna has all-wheel drive. I don't think they offer that with the Honda.

The far rear seat folds flat into the floor with carpeting on the back like the rest of the car.

In theory, you have it right. But everyone doesn't take care of their car. I'm not buying someone else's junk. Some idiots don't even change their oil.:doh:

Very true. I don't think you go "my" route unless you either a)know something about cars or b)can get the car "approved" by a mechanic you trust. It'll cost a little more, but at least you'll have some peace of mind.

Archived