Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minivan Advice

bearrock

I think buying a used car is foolish, personally.

What good is saving money on depreciation if what you're buying is a piece of :pooh:????

I think buying a new car is foolish. A car depreciates like nothing else once it leaves the lot. I know many people who only buy used cars and do quite well with their purchase.

Buy a certified used car from a dealership. You can save a lot of money and have the option to get a nice warranty.

May as well weigh in:

I fought getting a minivan for years, even with kids. About a year ago the wife and kids caught me in a good mood and talked me into getting a minivan. I would have to say after driving that thing for a year..... it is one of the best things they have talked me in to buying.

It's comfortable, versatile, convenient and just makes good sense. I would have to agree with those that have said there is no way to look cool driving one but I'm 38, what others think of my vehicle(s) has long since been out of my mind. Hell, I drove an Aztek for almost 2 years because I liked it (and it dont get much uglier than those things).

Do get power anything offered.

Do get the entertainment package

Do Not get the in floor storage (sounds like a great idea but it's not)

Make sure that atleast the back row folds flat, ideally you want the second row to fold flat or be removable also.

:2cents:

magnum srt8. if you dont give that car at least a hint of respect, you shouldnt be offering your opinion on cars.

I think the point is that they are station wagons plain and simple. You can put whatever you want under the hood, but it still looks like a station wagon. I don't think he was arguing its performance in any way.

They're ok, but there's no replacement for displacement, as the cliche goes. A 2L four is stretched about to its limit as soon as that turbo goes on it, and is still often short on horsepower compared to a good V-8 mill, say a 5.7L LS1. That's without even considering the torque advantage you're giving up with a small-displacement engine.

Same goes for station wagons. Any make, any model, any year. I don't care - they're not cool. Ever.

if your going for a dyno queen. it would be better to start with a v8. if your going for anything else, reliability, gas mileage, driveability, etc, the turbo 4 will hold its own, depending on the make of course. someone online with the same motor in my car pushed 500 horsepower on the stock block. stock internals, etc. and theres still room to grow. and my car has only been out a year. look at what guys are doing with the chevy ecotec, and the dodge 2.4 upwards of 900-1000 horsepower.

yeah and as far as station wagons go, ill say again what i already said, tell me the magnum srt8 is uncool. its got a big v8 for you too...;)

I think the point is that they are station wagons plain and simple. You can put whatever you want under the hood, but it still looks like a station wagon. I don't think he was arguing its performance in any way.

well you got me there. i cant argue with that.

I think buying a new car is foolish. A car depreciates like nothing else once it leaves the lot. I know many people who only buy used cars and do quite well with their purchase.

Buy a certified used car from a dealership. You can save a lot of money and have the option to get a nice warranty.

Not all used cars are junk. Many people love their cars and take excellent care of them.

Some people, like myself, do not like to throw money at depreciating assets. If I save $10K on a 3-year old car and eventually have to throw $5K into it to fix it because of something I missed during purchase, I'm still ahead. Plus, $5K is a pretty "catastrophic" kind of repair—those are very unlikely depending on the manufacturer.

Everyone I know who has bowed down and got one...........they love it!!!! They say what been stated in earlier posts that it has alot of room etc. I'm to stubborn to get one and since I owe more on my nissan armada than its worth so i'm stuck paying on this suv for another 4 years. Its a big truck but not easy to move around:doh:

Not all used cars are junk. Many people love their cars and take excellent care of them.

Some people, like myself, do not like to throw money at depreciating assets. If I save $10K on a 3-year old car and eventually have to throw $5K into it to fix it because of something I missed during purchase, I'm still ahead. Plus, $5K is a pretty "catastrophic" kind of repair—those are very unlikely depending on the manufacturer.

Exactly! :applause:

Everyone I know who has bowed down and got one...........they love it!!!! They say what been stated in earlier posts that it has alot of room etc. I'm to stubborn to get one and since I owe more on my nissan armada than its worth so i'm stuck paying on this suv for another 4 years. Its a big truck but not easy to move around:doh:

I have been hearing several people who are Nissan owners owing significantly more money on their car than its worth.

If either one of these is the case, you're buying the wrong brand or car.

I went to a local honda dealership's website and found a new Odessey for $33K. I then search their used inevntory and found a ceritifed 2004 Odessey with the same features with 65K miles on it for $13K. OK, that is cheaper than normal...

I found another used Odessey, 2005, 44K miles, certified, same ammenities for 22K. I found a bunch like that.

Sorry, but I have always found that you can get a great value for a used vehicle. Espeicially a dealer ceritified one.

I have been hearing several people who are Nissan owners owing significantly more money on their car than its worth.

Cant speak for everyone but I think the value dropped when the gas prices went up ...the last time I checked I owed more curious to know now

if your going for a dyno queen. it would be better to start with a v8. if your going for anything else, reliability, gas mileage, driveability, etc, the turbo 4 will hold its own, depending on the make of course. someone online with the same motor in my car pushed 500 horsepower on the stock block. stock internals, etc. and theres still room to grow. and my car has only been out a year. look at what guys are doing with the chevy ecotec, and the dodge 2.4 upwards of 900-1000 horsepower.

yeah and as far as station wagons go, ill say again what i already said, tell me the magnum srt8 is uncool. its got a big v8 for you too...;)

I've never heard of that much coming out of a turbo four. About 700 is the highest I've ever heard of. In any case, I have no problem with forced induction midget motors. But there is more to it than a raw horsepower number. Torque is a factor and when you are getting that kind of hp out of that small of an engine, reliability and drivability are going to suffer. But I'd better lay off, don't want to hijack this thread!

And the Magnum is uncool. I dig the mill (that Hemi is a beast), but it's still a station wagon. It's less uncool than a Pontiac Safari, how's that?

I've never heard of that much coming out of a turbo four. About 700 is the highest I've ever heard of. In any case, I have no problem with forced induction midget motors. But there is more to it than a raw horsepower number. Torque is a factor and when you are getting that kind of hp out of that small of an engine, reliability and drivability are going to suffer. But I'd better lay off, don't want to hijack this thread!

And the Magnum is uncool. I dig the mill (that Hemi is a beast), but it's still a station wagon. It's less uncool than a Pontiac Safari, how's that?

I went throught the rice burner stage of my life...when I was 16-18 years old. Then you start to realize all that money can be going to other things, some that can make you money.

No that I am a little older and wiser, I wish I hadn't dumped all that money into my Del Sol.:doh:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS310US310&q=dcr%20hot%20rod&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS310US310&q=dcr+hot+rod&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv&start=10

runs 7's and makes around 1200 horsepower. and if you get that much power out of any motor, driveability will suffer, i agree.

heres another. runs 9's and has around 900 horsepower, and drives on the street! edit: video doesnt show up.

pushrod v'8s arent the **** like they used to be....in the 70's and 80's. shoot, my turbo puts down more power stock for stock then a new mustang gt. anyways sorry for the thread jack.

I went throught the rice burner stage of my life...when I was 16-18 years old. Then you start to realize all that money can be going to other things, some that can make you money.

No that I am a little older and wiser, I wish I hadn't dumped all that money into my Del Sol.:doh:

not all 4 cylinders are "rice burners". mostly just hondas and acuras. ;)

If either one of these is the case, you're buying the wrong brand or car.

Perhaps. But my last 3 cars have been Toyota Camry (purchased with 80K and ran until about 210K), Toyota Corolla (purchased 34K and still running at 186K), and Honda Accord (purchased 16K and still running at 108K) respectively. All used, and I the highest I paid for a non-maintenance related repair was $600.

My example was just to illustrate that in a really bad scenario, a used-car purchase at a good price can still leave you ahead.

Archived